National League Final - Kerry v Derry

Started by Kerry Mike, April 20, 2009, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Yeah not as optimistic as I was with 5 men in there with very little game time throughout the league or and against a very seasoned Kerry team! I'm slightly worried actually but with so many injuries there's not much can be done. Good luck to the lads anyway! 

Joel Cairo

A depleted Derry defence against a very, very strong looking Kerry forward line.

We will have our work cut out to contain them. I'm not confident, but it'll be interesting to see how we cope.

You can read a preview of the game on my blog: http://oakleafers.blogspot.com/2009/04/final-is-just-beginning.html

jodyb

Quote from: SidelineKick on April 24, 2009, 12:33:55 PM
Yeah we were able to do that in the 05 Ulster Final. Waited til game had started then moved down to front of top tier. think it should all work out ok.

Not sure bout weather but hopefully its a dry day, dont fancy getting a soakin and a hammering (mind games  ;))

Sideline, I'd be surprised if the top tier is open which would make the seats in the lower tier a bit more scarce. Having said that I dont know as I'm just gonna buy ticket on the day and haven't seen what tickets are available. Does anyone know if the top tier will be open or not?

Bogball XV

upper tier wasn't open the day of the armagh v wexford and kerry v galway quarter final last year, so it's highly unlikely that it'll be open tomorrow. 

magickingdom

Quote from: RMDrive on April 24, 2009, 09:57:59 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on April 24, 2009, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 24, 2009, 09:25:40 PM
Would I be correct in saying that a experimental enough full back line youse have?

wouldnt agree with that. no doubt dara and tadhg will come on at some stage, tom o sullivan has done well lately at full back

Do Kerry people think that Tom O'Sullivan will be the FB for the championship. One of your few weak areas IMO.

i think jack is leaning that way - he's played there a few times lately and has made the best fist of it. keept meehan quite in the galway game..

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on April 24, 2009, 10:09:33 PM
MK, how has Tommy Griffen been playing this year?

playing great, jack has a right selection problem at the minute

Kerry Mike

Great to get a run out in Croker this early in the year, and hoping we can round off a very impressive league run with some silverware.

It will be a difficult and emotional day for Derry given recent tragic events but I hope they can perform to their best and if they can then we will have one tough game to look forward to today.

Winning ball in the middle will be vital for either team and keeping it away from the scoring threat of the Bradleys in particular will be important if we are to get a foothold.

Maher and Quirke destroyed Galway in the middle a few weeks ago and will need to be at their fielding best to get the better of Doherty and Co.

The likes of Dara, David Moran and Kennelly will be chomping at the bit for a bit of action too around the middle so the pressure is on.

Surprised Ger Reidy did not get a run out in goal for the final and some game time in Croke Park.

The backs almost pick themselves, but Aidan O'Shea and Daniel Bohane can count themselves unlucky not to get a starting jersey . Marc O'Se is missing but will hopefuly be back come the champiohship but I think Tom O'Sullivan will have a great battle today with Paddy Bradley, did very well against Michael Meehan 2 weeks ago while Killian Young should pick up Eoin Bradley.

Our half backs look strong and all have ben playing well, all 3 will need to dominate their men and launch attacks from the back. Expect 2-3 points from this line today.

The half forwards too look strong and Paul and Declan will be expected to get stuck in for breaking balls and Darren pace should cause some problems.

We have the 2 big men and Cooper inside and while they have worked well in parts of games they have yet to put in a full 70 minutes. Cooper is on fire this league and loves the Croker pitch so I'd expect a b ig game from him while Donaghy and Mc Cloy have had some good battles recenlty.

Hard to call it , you would expect Kerry to Win but like any game its what happens  on the day.

Looking forward to 2 good games in HQ today.

Ciarrai  abu
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Rav67

Any chance of seeing the game online for those of us not in the country?  There was no links to the action working last year so not holding out much hope of seeing the game...

mick999

its live on tg4 online in Ireland at the moment ..

www.tg4.tv

Not sure if its blocked outside the county .... Worth trying

Zulu

Cork showing why they are Kerry and Tyrone's biggest threat here today.

Cork 0-8 Monaghan 0-3 28min.

blanketattack

If Kerry beat Derry it will mean Ulster teams will have lost all 4 division finals. However 4 Ulster sides getting to the 4 divisional final shows strong consistency of Ulster teams.

whiskeysteve

Think that was more of a case of McEneaney trying to convince us Monaghan have no system. Fooling no one Banty.

These games will tell us a lot less than your typical league finals. All 4 teams have little interest in league titles, especially in the division one tie. The atmosphere of that last game was dire. Monaghan didnt track back to defend at all and looked disinterested. Cork for all their dominance hit a fierce amount of wides and I cant help feeling their forwards are as overrated as ever.

I think we will see a comfortable victory for Kerry later on. Quite a raw Derry team which for various reasons couldnt be that hungry for a league title. I'd expect Cassidy will also be restrained with thoughts of Banty & Co watching on the one hand and the importance of keeping a Derry players feet on the ground on the other.

The real ties are a mix of todays match ups. Cork-Kerry and Derry-Monaghan. Today is a bit like two couples on the dancefloor keeping one eye out for the other
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Caid

Good start by Derry

What has happened to James Kielt? Is he injured?

I wish TG4 had the AI matches too
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

INDIANA

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 26, 2009, 03:52:19 PM
Think that was more of a case of McEneaney trying to convince us Monaghan have no system. Fooling no one Banty.

These games will tell us a lot less than your typical league finals. All 4 teams have little interest in league titles, especially in the division one tie. The atmosphere of that last game was dire. Monaghan didnt track back to defend at all and looked disinterested. Cork for all their dominance hit a fierce amount of wides and I cant help feeling their forwards are as overrated as ever.

I think we will see a comfortable victory for Kerry later on. Quite a raw Derry team which for various reasons couldnt be that hungry for a league title. I'd expect Cassidy will also be restrained with thoughts of Banty & Co watching on the one hand and the importance of keeping a Derry players feet on the ground on the other.

The real ties are a mix of todays match ups. Cork-Kerry and Derry-Monaghan. Today is a bit like two couples on the dancefloor keeping one eye out for the other

can't agree. Cork are heading for tier 1 status- monghan are comfortably tier 2 status. Cork have 5/6 players off their 21's to add-thats monghan's full whack today.

Jinxy

Quote from: hardstation on April 26, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
Paddy Bradley subbed. Never recovered from that hefty shoulder his brother hit him.

There'll be some craic at the dinner table in the Bradley house.
If you were any use you'd be playing.