Antrim propose changes to Liam McCarthy Cup format

Started by Lecale2, January 17, 2007, 11:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Antrim to release proposals
17 January 2007

The Antrim County Board is to submit a set of radical proposals aimed at revolutionising the All-Ireland SHC.

Under the forward-thinking plan, Antrim suggest that the All-Ireland quarter-finals would be abolished and the provincial championships played as stand-alone competitions.

The plan would mean that the top 12 teams in the country would form two groups of six, and after a round robin series of games the two top teams in each group would advance to the semi-finals of the All-Ireland SHC.

The Saffrons are the first county to come up with proposals which contrast with the Hurling Development Committees' recent blueprint for the 2007 championship. Antrim's proposals will go before Congress in April next.

Hoganstand

I'm not sure that this is the answer. It will be hard to fit in all these matches, plus Munster & Leinster championship and NHL.  With 6 teams in each group there will be a load of meaningless games. Having said that, the current system is a dogs dinner.

tayto

I presume the NHL would get the chop under their proposal? I like the idea of running the provincial champo seperate to the All Ireland.