Meath mens opinion on Cian Ward

Started by dubnut, November 13, 2006, 05:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubnut

So what do ye think, should he be in the team come June?

Saw a few games and he is definately very consistant with the frees and can take his goals too.
Only 20 I think too, one to watch.
Or did I just catch him at his best games (county final and yesterday)

snappiered

Cian showing his true worth now. He a good forward

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dubnut on November 13, 2006, 05:06:08 PM

Meath mens opinion on Cian Ward

Can't the women have an opinion too?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

EugeneGeraghty

Cian is a class act but he won't start the next day. He's a corner forward and I can't see Bray or Joe getting dropped/moved to acomodate him. But at least we know that when times are tough we have a man with the metal to come in and do a job for us. Jody Devine Mark 2

navanman

Agree with Eugene, great option from the bench with young O'Rourke. Interesting to see what the forward line up will be. I would expect Farrell will come back at FF with maybe Joe dropping back to half-forward to replace Curran?

Louth Exile

I have seen Cian play three or fours times for the Tones and there is no doubt he is a class act. His achilles heal though is that he doesn't like the physical stuff. You put a good tight strong corner back on him who breathes down his neck the whole time and Cian won't play his game! I have seen this first hand where he was marked very agressively and he didn't do his normal damage. Having said that, the two clean cut chances he got that day he took well.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hardy

Quote from: navanman on June 11, 2007, 11:18:00 AM
Agree with Eugene, great option from the bench with young O'Rourke. Interesting to see what the forward line up will be. I would expect Farrell will come back at FF with maybe Joe dropping back to half-forward to replace Curran?

I dunno. While I've always preferred to see GG in the HF line, where he has the scope to run at defences, if I was picking the team at this stage, I think I'd leave him at FF, given his success the last day in winning his own ball against Ross McConnell and the rest of the Dublin FB line - effectively a two-goal performance the last day. I think this is the option that Dublin would least like to see as well. Also, the ref will think three or four times before disallowing a GG goal this week and if he's pulled down again for a penalty, he'll be more likely to get it. I'd also like to see more of GG breaking ball for Farrell, Sheridan, etc., a la the Ollie Murphy days.

magpie seanie

QuoteAlso, the ref will think three or four times before disallowing a GG goal this week and if he's pulled down again for a penalty, he'll be more likely to get it

Conversely Hardy I also think he's very likely to be sent off.

Hardy

navanman

Hardy I think we're saying mostly the same thing - FF line of Bray, GG and Farrell - Farrell and GG can interchange between corner and full positions.

GG doesn't have the legs anymore to do anything other than stay close to goal, win breaking ball and stick it away when he gets the chances. Joe at half forward doesn't necessarily fill me with glee, but presuming Farrell takes the frees Curran can be left on the bench.