Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: Orior on May 22, 2007, 12:07:06 AM
I'm damned glad that Tyrone didnt draw on Sunday. Youse really needed the extra match to prepare for the semi. Yis are fecked.

Chow babies  :)

totally disagree, this year tyrone need to keep winning to go the direct route and playing only every 4 weeks or so to avoid injuries and also to keep things fresh. a lot of tyrone players have plenty of mileage therefore having replays or going into the back door will mean that it could go stale again and that injuries are more likely to occur. if we can scrape through the next 2 games and then start peaking around the all ireland 1/4 final like kerry did last year i'll be happy enough!

orangeman

Any word of team selections for this weeks championship matches ? I hear Cookstown have a new manager - who is he ? Have they a full panel to pick from ? Any predictions ?

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on May 22, 2007, 02:34:37 PM
Any word of team selections for this weeks championship matches ? I hear Cookstown have a new manager - who is he ? Have they a full panel to pick from ? Any predictions ?

Read some where that Cookstowns new manager was assistant manager with Brian McGuckin from Edendork for the Tyrone Vocational Schools team that won the All Ireland, not sure of his name though. I thought Martin Coyle was manaing Cookstown?
How do you think the Rossas will line out on Friday night? The last two performances have been relatively poor and it will be difficult enough to pick a team I would have thought?

orangeman

Martin Coyle is no longer manager - either he left or was pushed - The last few performances have been very poor indeed and they'll be lucky to get a result. Kileeshil should have had them away - I'd say the team will be hard to predict and I hear that there could be changes - have you any idas on who should play or indeed who shouldn't play ?

Muzz

The new Cookstown manager is Declan O'Neill.  Yer man is right there...he was joint manager with Brian McGuckin in managing the Vocational Schools!!!  Unproven at senior level.  Use to manage underage at Cookstown with Ned Coyle and his brother Kieran.  Decent lad would be good to see him do well!

snappiered

With the Championship coming up this weekend what do yous think? What game has the potential to throw up a surprise this weekend? What game will see the biggest hammering?

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on May 22, 2007, 03:43:38 PM
Martin Coyle is no longer manager - either he left or was pushed - The last few performances have been very poor indeed and they'll be lucky to get a result. Kileeshil should have had them away - I'd say the team will be hard to predict and I hear that there could be changes - have you any idas on who should play or indeed who shouldn't play ?

Dont know enough about who would be playing well at training, who has a good attitude etc to comment on who I think should or should not play but the team I would like to see is as follows:

Kieran Quinn

Eugene Devlin, Paul Coney, Gavin Teague

Shay Forbes, Christy Cassidy, Kieran Devlin

Mickey Coleman, Ronan Campbell/John McConville

Gavin Devlin, Gavin Wylie, Ronan Campbell/John McConville

John Cummings, Frank McGuigan, Tommy McGuigan

I would give Horse a Dooher like role with his job to win the breaks and the scrappy ball. I feel John McConville is struggling a bit this season and would benefit from a move to the half forward line for some more freedom. There is little to choose between Ronan Campbell and Marty McKeown but I think Campbell should get a chance to see how he goes. That leaves you with Nishy O'Neill to bring on in the forward line as the game opens up.

orangeman

Interesting selection - do you know much about Cookstown - obviously their big players are Mugsy, Mulgrew and the minor Pickering and Murray and Paul Mc Gurk -they seem to be a fairly big team - what way do they play - is it direct or what ?

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on May 22, 2007, 04:24:43 PM
Interesting selection - do you know much about Cookstown - obviously their big players are Mugsy, Mulgrew and the minor Pickering and Murray and Paul Mc Gurk -they seem to be a fairly big team - what way do they play - is it direct or what ?

Dont know an awful lot about Cookstown, they should have a useful team when you look at the players they have available to them but they are lying pretty low down the table. The last game I saw them play was against Ardboe last season in a league game in Cookstown. Ardboe give them a fair hammering that night and they were pretty poor. However a one off championship game is a different story - they have nothing to lose and Ardboe are going into the game with no real form.
By the way what sort of team would you like to see selected?

orangeman

I dont really know enough about them - they have a few injuries I hear like Marty and Cathal Mc Keown, John Cummins (none of these boys played last week against Kileeshil ) - I think christy cassidy could do a job in midfield - not sure about horse in a dooher role - ronan mc gurk is a good player who is not on your team who could play half back and has been playing half back - big john could play a target man in full forward - tommy could play middle of field - ?? Big C has a good engine - you think that paul coney could play full back ? 

TyronePhilly

Ziggysego, ONeill and Fear ón Srath Bán....thanks for the comments on the old team photos and the new jerseys.

Who would you like Tyrone to face next? I think I would hold off on my opinion until I see this Armagh team with all of the Crossmaglen men.
I wouldn't be using their National League performances as any sort of gauge.

AN CUMANN LÚTHCHLEAS GAEL
TÍR EOGHAIN PHILADELPHIA

http://tyrone.philadelphia.gaa.ie

http://tyronephiladelphia.bebo.com

sam03/05

Cookstown are probably one of the most under achieving teams in Tyrone. Most of their players have represented Tyrone at some level.

Mulligan - minor/ senior/ u21
Mulgrew - minor/ senior/ u21
P MCGurk - minor/senior/u21
Conor Mullan - minor 2001 all Ireland/ ulster u21
Barry Mulligan- minor 2001 all Ireland/ulster  u21
Conor O Hare - minor all ireland 2004/ ulster u21
Martin Murray - minor all ireland 2004/ ulster u21
K Devlin - minor all ireland 2004
John Gilmore - minor all Ireland 2004/ ulster u21
B Hughes - minor all ireland 2001/ u21
B Sheehy - minor ulster championship
R Pickering - current county minor/ college all star
Marc O Connor - current county minor
Daire Cummings - former Tyrone minor

As well as this the club has won All Ireland Feile titles in recent years, and numerous underage titles.
Most of the above players will play against Ardboe on Friday evening. Not many teams in the county can claim to
have so many players who have represented the county. Yet they continualy underachieve. I think it must be the town syndrom.
Mind you on their day these players are capable of giving any team a game. It really is hot and cold with them. Could easily go out and beat Ardboe whilst at the same time could get beat by 15/16 points.

Bensars

lots of underage success largley due to superior numbers, failure to translate it into senior success !! Thats the pc version ;)

Take the biggest towns in the county. Omagh, Dungannon,Cookstown, Strabane.    i think  the lack of silverware speaks for itself !!

ziggysego

Quote from: TyronePhilly on May 22, 2007, 06:15:24 PM
Ziggysego, ONeill and Fear ón Srath Bán....thanks for the comments on the old team photos and the new jerseys.

Who would you like Tyrone to face next? I think I would hold off on my opinion until I see this Armagh team with all of the Crossmaglen men.
I wouldn't be using their National League performances as any sort of gauge.

AN CUMANN LÚTHCHLEAS GAEL
TÍR EOGHAIN PHILADELPHIA

http://tyrone.philadelphia.gaa.ie

http://tyronephiladelphia.bebo.com

I think that Tyrone would have a better chance of beating Armagh. Like us, Armagh have seen better days and Donegal seem to be on a roll at the moment. If we could beat Armagh, well that would be one hell of a boost going into the Ulster Final and a springboard to hopefully take us further.

On the other hand, I'd like to meet Donegal. :)
Testing Accessibility

sam03/05

Town syndrom - players have too many other distractions and not the same dedication to the cause.
Cookstown underage success speaks for itself and is the match of any club in Tyrone. The big question really is why does this not follow through to senior level. Cant be as simple as saying its because they have superior numbers at underage level. Surely other towns would have this as well.