Niall McKenna Donaghmore
Ciaran McCrory Galbally
Michael Murphy Galbally
Ciaran McGinley Errigal Ciaran
Peter Harte Errigal Ciaran
Mark Donnelly Carrickmore
Matthew Donnelly Trillick

these are the players that we need involved in order to strengthen the squad
as far as im concerned nat a big pile else ready to come through peter harte is on the list is maybe a year or so too early just let him keep playing for his club but put him on weights and training programmes.given him full member status could ruin him if nat getting football like ray mulgrew
Do men grow bigger in Cork or is it a deliberate Counihan decision to select big men and shape them into a football team. Should Mickey change his selection criteria to include "size" as a pre-requisite? There are plenty of big men around.

No way ref

Quote from: DCR on August 24, 2009, 10:46:59 PM
Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on August 24, 2009, 10:36:45 PM
players that should be given a run in McKenna Cup

Gavin Teague Ardboe
Kyle Coney Ardboe
Gary Reilly Killeeshill
shane Mulgrew Donaghmore
Niall McKenna Donaghmore
Ciaran McCrory Galbally
Michael Murphy Galbally
Ciaran McGinley Errigal Ciaran
Peter Harte Errigal Ciaran
Mark Donnelly Carrickmore
Matthew Donnelly Trillick

these are the players that we need involved in order to strengthen the squad
as far as im concerned nat a big pile else ready to come through peter harte is on the list is maybe a year or so too early just let him keep playing for his club but put him on weights and training programmes.given him full member status could ruin him if nat getting football like ray mulgrew
Do men grow bigger in Cork or is it a deliberate Counihan decision to select big men and shape them into a football team. Should Mickey change his selection criteria to include "size" as a pre-requisite? There are plenty of big men around.

Strange but i coulda swore Tyrone were big enough last year

orangeman

It amuses me how fans / supporters / pundits over react to a win or a defeat. Up until last week, people were describing Tyrone as a great team, one manager ( Kieran Mc Geeney ) going as far as saying that Tyrone were the best team as past 30 years. Now people are saying that Tyrone are a done team, that certain players no longer have the legs etc. Tyrone haven't become a bad team overnight and I predict that Tyrone will be there or thereabouts next year again.

Fickle or what ?

longrunsthefox

agreed Orange dude... they romped through Ulster and did get to an all irealnd semi-final to lose to a good Cork team who I think will win the All Ireland. reminds me of reaction when won Ulster in 2007 and then end of road after well beaten by Meath. we all know what happened the following yaer...it aint over... 

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: orangeman on August 24, 2009, 05:10:42 PM
I honestly can't see there being too many retirements from the team. There might be a few panel members that will go either voluntarily or might be pushed if MH brings in some new players.

It's very early to talk about retirements so let's wait and see what happens. It's a long time till Spring.

Dooher, Holmes, Gourley, Jordan could go.
Harte will have to persuade some of the others to stay, if you lose too many in one year you'll be like Armagh!  :o

There must be doubts over Stevie (the knee), Mugsy & Ricey also?

DCR

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 24, 2009, 11:44:09 PM
agreed Orange dude... they romped through Ulster and did get to an all irealnd semi-final to lose to a good Cork team who I think will win the All Ireland. reminds me of reaction when won Ulster in 2007 and then end of road after well beaten by Meath. we all know what happened the following yaer...it aint over...
Don't think anybody has said that we are a bad team - we just weren't good enough on the day and Mickey has to take some of the blame eg starting Ricey on Pearse O'Neill: J McMahon on Canty and T Mcguigan a player clearly low on confidence (and I could go on).

I'd be interested if anybody could name a Tyrone player (apart from Stevie O'Neill) who got the better of his Cork counterpart on Sunday.
As for last year - we struggled against Westmeath and Mayo were unlucky not to get a draw and who will forget the way Kerry tore us apart in the first half of the NFL in Omagh. So while we might not have been bigger last year - we were a wee bit luckier - but I'm taking nothing away from an excellent team.
As for the size issue - players such as McCullagh, Magee, G Devlin, Swift and Carlin will (imo) always struggle against a big physical team.

botman

Quote from: DCR on August 24, 2009, 06:53:35 PM
Quote from: botman on August 24, 2009, 04:19:50 PM
Quote from: DCR on August 24, 2009, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: botman on August 24, 2009, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: DCR on August 23, 2009, 09:34:21 PM
Has Mickey's loyalty to the "auld hands" cost us against Cork? - thought that Gormley, Jordan, Harte and the entire half forward line were absolutely brutal - time for fairly major surgery I fear.

Think you are being very unfair here. These guys Dooher, Jordan, Harte etc have put in some major performances for Tyrone and are the reason we have achieved so much. To turn around and say they cost us would be very short sighted. Yes they didn't have their best game in a Tyrone shirt but at the same time it doesn't make them bad players. We need to remember where this same group of guys have taken us from.

Don't be tempted to throw the baby out with the bath water. On reflection we were beaten by Cork the team likely to win the AI so perhaps some tinkering but major surgery is completely OTT.
I never said that they were bad players and we all remember where we have come from (too well) but players can't go on forever and others can hit a lean spell. A good manager (and Mickey is the best) should not select players who are suffering a loss of form.  And please remember that the entire half forward line was replaced yesterday. Enough said I think.

A few points;
I never said that you said they were bad players.

Yes some players had a bad day, I'm not disputing that. The half forward line in particular struggled.

As you say MH is the best around, if this is the case then your assessment in that he was loyal to the "auld hands" is way off. In calling for "major surgery" I think it's a little bit akin to last year and people calling for Harte to go.

I think a few players will knock it on the head and Harte may unearth some new talent, but by and large the players we have are capable of challenging for and winning an AI.
What did you think of our half back line?

They did OK. Jordan and Harte were curtailed to a certain extent. But I wouldn't swap  either of them for any other Half back in the country. Over the course of a season these guys have more positive than negative performances.

Ricey Struggled on Pearce O'Neill but McMahon seemed to picking him at times as well. So not really sure what was going on here.
Keep them at it.

glencullrule

Is this not a club football thread? Yes it is so can we get on about talking about the club championship as Tyrone are gone!

In your question about Ciaran McGinley. No i dont think he is anywhere near county standard, he can score but all he does is run about demanding the ball. He himself thinks he should be on the panel but he himself alone thinks that.

Kentucky Blue

tyrone players involved in violent scenes in cookstown last night. Mulligan busted.

orangeman

Quote from: Kentucky Blue on August 25, 2009, 12:20:16 PM
tyrone players involved in violent scenes in cookstown last night. Mulligan busted.

What ?

Sigerson

Quote from: glencullrule on August 25, 2009, 11:45:57 AM
Is this not a club football thread? Yes it is so can we get on about talking about the club championship as Tyrone are gone!

In your question about Ciaran McGinley. No i dont think he is anywhere near county standard, he can score but all he does is run about demanding the ball. He himself thinks he should be on the panel but he himself alone thinks that.

So he can score, Constantly running, demanding the ball, one of the top players for the side, plently of confidence- and this is your reasons for him NOT being on the panel???

Heard about the antics in Cookstown last night. Raymond Mulgrew, G Devlin and Swifty also invovled, from what I heard.

Overthebar!

you are quite the gossip kentucky,or should i say perez hilton? fill us in....

Sigerson

This is what I heard when coming into work this morning. Tyrone boys were on the soup last night in Cookstown Mint understandably. Well spotted out where:

Mugsy

Justin

Two McGuigans

Swifty

Carlin

Mulgrew

Devlin

Anyway think someone was twisting with them and just a bit of a scuffle happened. Police and all were suppose to be out.

glencullrule

Quote from: orangeman on August 25, 2009, 12:22:57 PM

What ?

I mean if he doesnt have the ball he thinks he should have it all the time. Which to mean it would be more beneficial if Petey Harte, Enda McGinley, Cathal McRory or Caoalan Tierney had it.

Final Whistle

Normal story, some jackass was obviously acting the "man" and provoked a reaction. Same Jackass would partake in back slapping had SAM been returned home.

Was Amigo in Cookstown last night??? ;) ;) ;)