Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfrank

Heard aidan cassidy,conor o donnell are two of the dr mc kenna cup new panelists!!

Final Whistle

Whilst Loughran was decidedly average for the most part in a county jersey

That statement would suggest that no he does not deserve a nomination!!!

ONeill

Missed Audi Hamilton too.

Anyway, anyone willing to have a stab in terms of players playing at their best, for example McGuigan really only played 1984 but his performances haven't really been equalled bar Canavan and O'Neill.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

hightower

chris lawn b4 p devlin g devlin j lynch s mc laughlin in defence o'neill

rrhf

RED and HANDY

GK: F McConnell

Defenders: C McGarvey, J Lynch,  C McAnallan,  McMenamin, Gormley , Jordan,

Midfield: P Donaghy,   E McKenna,

Forwards: F McGuigan,  Peter Canavan,  Adrian Cush, S O'Neill, S Cavanagh,  Dooher,
That was the toughest set of decisions I have ever had to do,  Im knackered theres 40 great players in their at least.  But Im making some hard calls that some may not agree with but this team of 15 would be my best some unfortunately never got the breaks others did with all due respect going to all these guys.  

ONeill

Ok. If I was to send out a team from that bunch:

Finbar
McMenamin - McGarvey - F Devlin
Lynch - Gormley - Jordan
McKenna - Donaghy
Dooher - B McGuigan - Cavanagh
Canavan - F McGuigan - S O'Neill

Fay had his detractors, but I liked his style. Had to throw Lynch in. McGinn was no shrrinking violet and Paul Devlin was highly thought of. Can I leave the likes of McGinley and other 3-All-Ireland winners out? Tough call. McAnallan did well for the 4 games at full back he played in the SFC but I liked big Ciaran's style. Maybe red-tinted glasses.

tyrone86

I've tried to stick to positions as much as possible.

1. Aidan Skelton (Drumquin) - Possibly a controversial choice at the throw-in given Crowbar's vast array of Ulster Championship medal's and being the only All-Star winner of the four nominees. However, I feel Skelton was the best shot stopper of the lot, and given his propensity for accuracy rather than distance in his kickouts, I would suggest that had Skelton been available in 1995 Tyrone would have won the All-Ireland given the lack of high fielding capability in midfield.

2. Ryan McMenamin (Dromore) - A straight choice between Ricey and Tar Lynch. Both shacked many high profile men in their day, both had been known to dabble in the darker arts but I'd give this one to McMenamin on the strength of his attacking instincts, one of the few attributes both men did not share. 

3. Chris Lawn (Moortown) - Again, another tough choice between Cricko and Ciaran McGarvey. The longevity of the back Lawn in the No.3 jersey and the consistency of his performances throughout his career, in particularly in 2002 give Lawn the edge for me.

4. Fay Devlin (Ardboe) - One of the more straight forward choices, Devlin owned the Number 4 jersey throughout the 90s and was rarely bested in his prime.

5. Kevin McCabe (Clonoe) - The original Tyrone All-Star, the most difficult choice was actually deciding where to play McCabe. However,  it was the No. 5 jersey where he first came to prominence and allied with the calibre of options in the forward line, McCabe wins out here.   

6. Conor Gormley (Carrickmore) - The key defender in Tyrone's All Ireland successes, but his success as the chief fire fighter has seen him shifted throughout the back line. Can't be omitted, and I feel CHB is his natural position.

7. Phillip Jordan (Moy) - One of the most consistent half back in the country in the past 5 years and a key part of Tyrone's success. Hard to believe he couldn't get a game under Harte in the county minors.

8. Plunkett Donaghy (Moy) - The blonde Adonis was a stalwart for Tyrone throughout the 80s and early 90s and was crucial to the successes of Tyrone in that period.

9. Eugene McKenna (Augher) - 3 All Stars in the 80s in 3 different positions when Ulster Football was essentially in the doldrums. An automatic choice.

10. Brian Dooher (Clann na nGael) - Double All-Ireland winning captain and since his debut in 96 to present as given everything to the cause. A class act, what where you thinking Colm O'Rourke?

11. Brian McGuigan (Ardboe) - For me, McGuigan Jr is easily the best CHF of his generation. His vision, his passing, his ability to open up a defence is second to none. Might not score heavily, but what he creates more than makes up for it.

12. Sean Cavanagh (Moy) - 4 time All Star, 2003 young player of the year, 2008 player of the year, 3 time All Ireland winner and still only 25. Scary to think what he can still achieve.

13. Stephen O'Neill (Clann na nGael) - Has been frustrated by injuries throughout, but was awesome on his way to the player of the year award in 2005. Announced his arrival to the inter county scene in 2001 by putting McGeeney on his hole on his way to an All Star as a 20 year old.

14. Frank McGuigan (Ardboe) - Still the King even after all these years. 11 points from play in an Ulster Final is still the stuff of legends and if you are to pick a team of the last Century in Tyrone football that performance would get him on that team as well.

15. Peter Canavan (Errigal Ciaran) - In the 94-96 period, quite simply the greatest footballer I've ever seen. Wasn't the same player after getting maimed against Meath but in 2003 and 2005, the quality around him was in a different league to 95/96. God.

Gaffer

Really enjoyed reading that, Tyrone86

Cheers!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Excellent read. We've picked the same 6-15. You've McCabe, Lawn and Skelton over my Lynch, McGarvey and McConnell. Could easily have went with Skelton - thought he was brilliant at times, thinking of the Ulster replay v Donegal in '89.

Big Mickey

any other word on new players for mckenna cup? heard cassidy and odonnel mentioned aswell but dont know if they are certs yet.whens the panel named?

bigfrank

Think invitations were sent out to players in last 10 days,think there mite be anything up to 10 new players on the panel!Heard Teague (clonoe)mentioned but im sure there are a few from Clonoe!

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 09, 2008, 09:02:40 PM
I've tried to stick to positions as much as possible.

1. Aidan Skelton (Drumquin) - Possibly a controversial choice at the throw-in given Crowbar's vast array of Ulster Championship medal's and being the only All-Star winner of the four nominees. However, I feel Skelton was the best shot stopper of the lot, and given his propensity for accuracy rather than distance in his kickouts, I would suggest that had Skelton been available in 1995 Tyrone would have won the All-Ireland given the lack of high fielding capability in midfield.

2. Ryan McMenamin (Dromore) - A straight choice between Ricey and Tar Lynch. Both shacked many high profile men in their day, both had been known to dabble in the darker arts but I'd give this one to McMenamin on the strength of his attacking instincts, one of the few attributes both men did not share. 

3. Chris Lawn (Moortown) - Again, another tough choice between Cricko and Ciaran McGarvey. The longevity of the back Lawn in the No.3 jersey and the consistency of his performances throughout his career, in particularly in 2002 give Lawn the edge for me.

4. Fay Devlin (Ardboe) - One of the more straight forward choices, Devlin owned the Number 4 jersey throughout the 90s and was rarely bested in his prime.

5. Kevin McCabe (Clonoe) - The original Tyrone All-Star, the most difficult choice was actually deciding where to play McCabe. However,  it was the No. 5 jersey where he first came to prominence and allied with the calibre of options in the forward line, McCabe wins out here.  

6. Conor Gormley (Carrickmore) - The key defender in Tyrone's All Ireland successes, but his success as the chief fire fighter has seen him shifted throughout the back line. Can't be omitted, and I feel CHB is his natural position.

7. Phillip Jordan (Moy) - One of the most consistent half back in the country in the past 5 years and a key part of Tyrone's success. Hard to believe he couldn't get a game under Harte in the county minors.

8. Plunkett Donaghy (Moy) - The blonde Adonis was a stalwart for Tyrone throughout the 80s and early 90s and was crucial to the successes of Tyrone in that period.

9. Eugene McKenna (Augher) - 3 All Stars in the 80s in 3 different positions when Ulster Football was essentially in the doldrums. An automatic choice.

10. Brian Dooher (Clann na nGael) - Double All-Ireland winning captain and since his debut in 96 to present as given everything to the cause. A class act, what where you thinking Colm O'Rourke?

11. Brian McGuigan (Ardboe) - For me, McGuigan Jr is easily the best CHF of his generation. His vision, his passing, his ability to open up a defence is second to none. Might not score heavily, but what he creates more than makes up for it.

12. Sean Cavanagh (Moy) - 4 time All Star, 2003 young player of the year, 2008 player of the year, 3 time All Ireland winner and still only 25. Scary to think what he can still achieve.

13. Stephen O'Neill (Clann na nGael) - Has been frustrated by injuries throughout, but was awesome on his way to the player of the year award in 2005. Announced his arrival to the inter county scene in 2001 by putting McGeeney on his hole on his way to an All Star as a 20 year old.

14. Frank McGuigan (Ardboe) - Still the King even after all these years. 11 points from play in an Ulster Final is still the stuff of legends and if you are to pick a team of the last Century in Tyrone football that performance would get him on that team as well.

15. Peter Canavan (Errigal Ciaran) - In the 94-96 period, quite simply the greatest footballer I've ever seen. Wasn't the same player after getting maimed against Meath but in 2003 and 2005, the quality around him was in a different league to 95/96. God.

Great team and great choices even if there are 3 from Ardboe on it.

But nonetheless a well thought out team.

As always, a very difficult task.

Tyrone Dreamer

I thought it had to be submitted to ulster council by Monday but must be wrong. Would imagine there'll be a good few new players get a chance in the McKenna Cup. Aidan Cassidy looked like a decent prospect for the u21's earlier in the year as did Lafferty? at full forward. Eoin McCusker has did a lot of scoring for Dromore in recent seasons and there's 4 or 5 Clonoe boys that could be looked at. Then you have Marlow,Swift,Micky Murphy who could be considered. Its probably a year or 2 early for the likes of Niall McKenna and Peter Harte although they are already playing key parts for their clubs. Havent saw enough of Shane Mulgrew from Donaghmore to have an opinion but he seems to have an eye for goal and produced a great finish v Clonoe in championship.

Think to keep the panel fresh and competitive 3 or 4 new faces would be good going into next season. McCaul is out. There's also a few players who havent saw much action over the previous few years who may be best served returning to their clubs.

bigfrank

Marty swift back,heard that earlier!

tyrone86

Cheers lads. It's quite difficult because it's so subjective.

Even looking at the limited differences between mine and O'Neill's teams you can make legitimate arguments for any of the guys left out. When you consider that Ciaran McGarvey was so good at full back as to keep probably the best club full back of the period in Martin McStravick out of the panel then it's hard to justify leaving him out. Same with John Lynch. If you'd have asked me 5 years ago, I'd have thought that John Lynch would have been on any greatest Tyrone team for forever and a day. As for Finbarr, in spite of a one dimensional kick out, he was extremely assured, in particular under the high ball, and he was intimating which are 2 great traits for any keeper to have.

As for the McKenna Cup, I heard Jason McAnulla of Omagh is in the panel, which makes a bit of a mockery of the new regulations to ensure that freshers can't play Sigerson.