Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Mulligan is a cert for the panel and will probably start every game for Tyrone.
Heard from one of the players that he finished 3rd in a recent fitness test which was won by Trainor from Dungannon.

snappiered

My team would be:

1. Pascal Mc Connell
2. Ricey
3. Cormac Mc Ginley or Joe Mc Mahon
4. Mc Gee
5. Davy
6. Dermy (Maybe) if not maybe Enda Mc Ginley - He was meant to start there on Sat night but cried off late
7. Justin Mc Mahon
8. Hub
9. Sean Cav
10. Ray Mulgrew or Tommy Mc Guigan or Colm Cav
11. Calvo
12. Ryan Mellon
13. Enda Mc Ginley
14. Rouse
15. Mugsy

Could also swap Mugsy and Ryan Mellon.

Fuzzman

I know there has been a lot of chopping and changing but who are the 5 top Tyrone scorers from the McKenna cup so far.

What age is big Rouse?
Was he in the U-21's squad of late?

realredhandfan

Big Enda I thought looked very sluggish and might need another month

realredhandfan

the half forward line is going to be Tyrones most competitive line.  BTW when is Mickeys experiment with Penrose going to end, hes holding good men out of trying that position.  Ultimately its not up for grabs, but  Penrose is not a half back ever.

Over the Bar

Quotethe half forward line is going to be Tyrones most competitive line.  BTW when is Mickeys experiment with Penrose going to end, hes holding good men out of trying that position.  Ultimately its not up for grabs, but  Penrose is not a half back ever.

Whatever Mickey is up to it's obviously above our heads so we'll just have to trust him on this one!   Remember what Jordan once said in an interview about forgetting what number you line out as, in MH's team you have to be prepared to attack or defend wherever it's needed on the field when required to.

botman

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 25, 2007, 11:05:01 AM
the half forward line is going to be Tyrones most competitive line.  BTW when is Mickeys experiment with Penrose going to end, hes holding good men out of trying that position.  Ultimately its not up for grabs, but  Penrose is not a half back ever.

When P.Jordan returns. Best half back in Tyrone by a country mile, if not Ireland as well.

Keep them at it.

realredhandfan

as i said ultimately its not up for grabs,  Id have thought we are gonna try for as good a back up as we can in almost every position.  BTW does mickey have to cull the panel, surely it would be a good thing if the panel was left open till the end of the national league, albeit 30 are named for matchdays.  I know if I was close to making that Tyrone team(which Im not :'() I might be happy to keep training with them for a year to get the feel of it.  If Im not in the top 30 come Sunday I play for my club, but I know Im doing my bit.

BallyhaiseMan

as an outsider i thought Martin Penrose played quite well at Wing half back against Cavan....
While he may not be in the Philip Jordan class(No-one else in the country is when hes on form)
He could definetely do a marking job on a speedy Wing forward.

realredhandfan

I missed the Cavan game, but I think we have enough potential talent for that position without converting a forward, taller stronger men also like Justin Mc Mahon etc. Damian mc Caul  could be looked at.  Im biased perhaps Im not a major fan of the football Penrose has played for Tyrone over the past 3 seasons, but to single him out at thsi stage of the season is probably unfair.       

botman

Realredhandfan - I think it is just an experiment, your right tho it ain't up for grabs. Jordan is prob the most consistent performer on the Tyrone team and when he returns from his sabbatical he'll show this.
Keep them at it.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: botman on January 25, 2007, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: realredhandfan on January 25, 2007, 11:05:01 AM
When P.Jordan returns. Best half back in Tyrone by a country mile, if not Ireland as well.

Do you not read the Gaelic Life?  ::) Barry Dunnion is much superior!  ::)

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 25, 2007, 10:10:11 AM
I know there has been a lot of chopping and changing but who are the 5 top Tyrone scorers from the McKenna cup so far.What age is big Rouse?
What age is big Rouse?

Playing Background : With his club Brackaville Owen Roes Paul won a Tyrone and Ulster Intermediate Championship medal in 1999. He has represented Tyrone at minor level in 1999 and at Under 21 level in 2002 when he won an Ulster Championship medal. At the University of Ulster he won a Sigerson medal in 2001 as well as Ulster fresher 7's medal. At St Mary's Strawberry Hill he also won two British Universities championships and a Trench Cup in 2003 and was also named captain of the British University All Stars in 2004. Paul continues to play and coach at club level.
http://ulster.gaa.ie/staff/pRouse.htm

tyroneman

Dublin game will be a HUGE opportunity for lads to make a claim for the Championship.

If we look at it rationally SON, McGuigan, Dooher, Jordan and Gormely will  all be nailed on certs to start if available and fit.

Hub has been the best MF partner Sean has had to date and Should really be given opportunity to re-establish himself in there.

There needs to be a role for big Joey. IMHO a far better option at FB than McGinley.

Colm McCullogh has yet to return and is a better option than Penrose in the forwards. Mellons form may count against him, although I remenber a few games when he loooked the business in MF (esp v Galway, 2003 NFL)

Mulgrew the wonderkid needs to start showing why MH has such great faith in him.

So for my money there are 2 forward spots, 1 MF, 1 HB and FB, GK and CB spots up for grabs.

No real candidate for back up CHF has emerged other than Cavo.

realredhandfan

agree;  If Hub shows the same power he had last year then hes not a midfield option.  I agree on Big Joe, I always liked him at f/b injury free though, my concern is that our 2 f/b options seem injury prone.    Im not convinced C Mc Ginley has the same power as big Joe - he hasnt put a foot wrong yet, then again hes getting all the chances, I think Tommy could be pursued as another option on the half forward front, and I think theres 1 corner forward up for grabs could be Mc Cullough - the county certainly owes him a few chances.  I dont think it would be fair to drop anyone based on their chances so far, Id keep an open panel for the next month or so anyway, Carlin looks hot this year also, Mellon has had some big games with his best being the all ireland 05, lets hope that form returns, I think we all know that the panel is what needs the major surgery not neccessarily the team.  Young talent in Tyrone must be given a chance, the same chances that Cavanagh, O neill, Mellon and Penrose all got.  I would have liked to see sweeney give it another lash this year,  we dont want lads to walk away disillusioned either.  they must feel they have a future with Tyrone ad like Tommy Mc - come back give it another go next year.   Id still love to see Mc Ginn involved got 1 05 on Sunday for the under 21s after being passed over last year.  Having watched him for 2 seasons I think hes the most talented natural forward in Tyrone at his age. Lets hope he'll progress with the under 21s and his time will come.