Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Refreshing victory for Tyrone
15 January 2007

Tyrone continued their team-building ahead of the NFL when on Sunday last at Healy Park, Omagh they easily defeated near neighbours, Derry in the second round of the McKenna Cup on a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-9.
The home side containing only four players from year's championship side were far too good for a visiting Derry side who included in their ranks six of their championship side of last season.
In a game that was played at a fast and competitive pace, the home side were clearly the masters and at the break they had the game already tied up leading by 1-11 to 0-3 – an 11 points lead.
Derry, as expected made a better fist of matters in the second-half without really troubling a Tyrone side full of flair and invention, with every player in the side out to impress the management ahead of the new season.
The selection of four university players in the home side attracted plenty of pre-match attention. It showed why Manager Harte wanted to have a good look at them in action and why they feel they can make the Red Hand panel this season.
On this performance the Tyrone management will have some headaches before he picks his squad for the forthcoming NFL campaign. However, he should get a better idea of the real potential of these youngsters when they travel to Kingspan/Breffni Park in Cavan next week-end for their third round meeting with the unbeaten Breffni side in the competition.
Derry at the present time are in something of a disarray. They have now suffered two heavy defeats on the trot against Cavan at home in Celtic Park and on Sunday in Omagh against Tyrone. Hardly the best way to start the new competitive season for Paddy Crozier and his Derry squad. The new players he has introduced into the squad by and large have failed to make a major impact, and you could say they have some problems already and the season only starting. As the saying goes it can only get better for the Oak Leaf side, and the return of many of their experienced players in the coming weeks will see a much stronger and better focussed Derry side for the start of the NFL.
Once again as was the case in the Cavan defeat there is too much reliance on Paddy Bradley for scores, but another worry has to be the number of scores they have conceded over the two games played.

Tyrone – Pascal McConnell; D. McCaul, C. McGinley, P. Marlow; Davy Harte 0-1, D. Carlin 0-1, B. Boggs; M. Murphy 0-3, Sean Cavanagh; Tommy McGuigan 0-2, Owen Mulligan 0-1, C. Cavanagh 0-1; C. McCarron 1-3, 0-3 from frees, P. Rouse 0-1 0-1, D. McDermott 0-2.
Subs – Ryan Mellon for Sean Cavanagh; E. McGinley for M. Murphy; N. Gormley for McDermott; Martin Penrose for Davy Harte.

Derry – S. O'Kane; K. McGuckin, K. McCann, J. Keenan; A. McAlynn, Fergal Doherty, Liam Hinphey; Patsy Bradley, J. Conway; R. McElhone 0-1, C. Gilligan 0-1, C. Moran; A.. McCartney, Paddy Bradley 0-5, 2 frees, Eoin Bradley 0-2.
Subs – Kevin McCloy for Hinphey; P. O'Hea for McAlynn; J. Kelly for Moran and Paul Bradley for A. McCartney.

Referee – Brian Crowe from Cavan.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71130

Fuzzman

Can anybody give us the low-down on Rouse?

I believe he'd from Brackaville.
How tall is he? Good fielder? Strong?

Is he a full forward usually?
Did he score much last year?
Do you think he'll make the final 30?

loughshore lad

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 15, 2007, 05:28:55 PM

From Brackaville, about 6ft 3/4 and approx 26. Plays mid field usually for the club although I do recall him playing full forward a few years ago. Good fielder and quite a good left foot. Not a bad free taker, would be Brackavilles main free taker and soring threat in the club senior championship last season I recall him scoring a monster of a free kick to beat Dungannon in Coalisland. 
Hard to say if he will make the 30 - mobility may be an issue.

Over the Bar

QuoteHard to say if he will make the 30 - mobility may be an issue.

Just 'cos the lad doesnt drive shouldn't exclude him from the panel.  Can't someone give him a lift?

sam03/05

I think he will make the panel. He offers a different option from most of the other forwards. Although I reckon Hub could also play this type of role.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 15, 2007, 09:33:37 PM

Just 'cos the lad doesnt drive shouldn't exclude him from the panel. Can't someone give him a lift?

Since when was mobility exclusively defined as an ability to drive?

Over the Bar

QuoteSince when was mobility exclusively defined as an ability to drive?

I'd say 'woosh' but that wud probably go over yer head as well.  :-\

never kickt a ball

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 15, 2007, 07:38:18 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 15, 2007, 05:28:55 PM

Quote from: loughshore lad on January 15, 2007, 10:39:32 PM

Just 'cos the lad doesnt drive shouldn't exclude him from the panel. Can't someone give him a lift?

Since when was mobility exclusively defined as an ability to drive?

From Brackaville, about 6ft 3/4 and approx 26. Plays mid field usually for the club although I do recall him playing full forward a few years ago. Good fielder and quite a good left foot. Not a bad free taker, would be Brackavilles main free taker and soring threat in the club senior championship last season I recall him scoring a monster of a free kick to beat Dungannon in Coalisland. 
Hard to say if he will make the 30 - mobility may be an issue.

If the lad has no mobility I'm sure Mickey will give him some allowance for that.  :D
Is he Tyrone's attempt to replicate Ciarán Donaghy?
His jig routine before taking a free kick caused a stir with the crowd in the Healy Park stand.  

loughshore lad

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 15, 2007, 10:50:10 PM

I'd say 'woosh' but that wud probably go over yer head as well.  :-\
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 15, 2007, 10:50:10 PM

I'd say 'woosh' but that wud probably go over yer head as well. :-\

And I would say I was being sarcastic but you probably would not know what that means either  ;D

loughshore lad

If the lad has no mobility I'm sure Mickey will give him some allowance for that.  :D
Is he Tyrone's attempt to replicate Ciarán Donaghy?
His jig routine before taking a free kick caused a stir with the crowd in the Healy Park stand.  

Thats sort of what I was getting at. I dont think Harte will try and replicate what Kerry did with Donaghy instead he will (as usual) look at what he has available and try and come up with a suitable game plan. I dont think Rouse is as athletic as Donaghy, for all the attention surrounding Donaghy and how simple the route one tactic is and looks it is Donaghys athletic ability that helps him tremendously. Remember the big man Quirke kerry played in full forward, he was massive but was too slow and easily bottled up by the opposition defence. Contrast Donaghy who showed he can win the ball, take on and beat the opposing defence.

goal and a point

I see in todays irish news that county teams will be alowed a runner on the pitch during matches. who will tyrones be? i cant see any of the current management team being mobile enough to carry out such a task. e.g. Feaarghal McCann, Tony Donnelly or Mickey Moynagh maybe

realredhandfan

Donaghy is a one year wonder,  Was no manager tactically ware enough last year to play a sweeper in behind the full back.  A big full forward is not new in Gaelic Football..

RedKnight

Armagh tried to use McGeeney as a sweeper in the QF and this worked well in the first half but Jack O'Connor reshuffled his team which meant that Mc Geeney had to do a man marking job rather than a sweeper role. Also the fact that Francie had already been booked meant that he couldn't play his usual over physical game on Donaghy for the fear of a second booking. The result was Donagy destroyed Armaagh in the second half

RedKnight

New Red Knights manager for 2007 is Palor Mc Nulty. Back for a second spell at the club could pull off a few suprises this year getting the team playing together for eachother and get them fitter than they have been since he left.

Fuzzman

There has been very little talk of Cavlan so far.
I heard he's been at most games and training but is he injured again?

Do you think he'll be good enough to play this year or is Mickey looking for more hard working players.
Surely he is as good as Mugsy on a nice day with a hard pitch.

I for one would be happy with another tall forward to help out Stevie.