Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 6625030 times)

Pearse Blue

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #41895 on: October 28, 2019, 09:35:15 AM »
What will happen in Division 2 if there are more than 2 clubs on 15 points after the last round of fixtures? More playoffs to make playoffs? Aghyaran guaranteed to be on 15 points anyway as Urney have packed up for the year after yesterday. Be interesting to see how the others on 13 fair out. We only have another fortnight to wait to find out!!

Probably. When three or more clubs are involved, score difference comes into play. However if any of the teams in question either conceded or were given a walkover in any league game then they must play-off for the final league position if it concerns relegation or promotion. So if Augher is among any of those whom finish on say 15pts on a three-way or bigger tie, then play-off matches will be required to determine who finishes sixth in the final league table for the promotion play-offs.

If you were to "freeze" the Division 2 table as it stands, Galbally would win the league, Loughmacrory would take automatic promotion, Pomeroy, Clogher & Owen Roes would enter the promotion play-offs, while there would be a five-way play-off for the final spot between Augher, Greencastle, Gortin, Aghyaran & Moortown due to Augher giving Owen Roes a w/o. This would involve three "rounds" of games, with the eventual winner meeting Pomeroy in the promotion play-offs, while Clogher & Owen Roes would face each other in the other game.

Talk about grim. 😧
I didn't think it went into a play off for a play off spot? I thought it went to Head to Head and point difference

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #41896 on: October 28, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
If Newtownstewart stay up I assume this new amalgamation will stay in division 2? I remember when Clan na Gael formed they started life in division 3. Though maybe those clubs that joined were already in division 3? One for Fionntamhnach to answer maybe.

First, thanks GWC.

Secondly IIRC both Dunnamanagh & Aughabrack were playing at Junior level when they amalgamated to become Clann na nGael, so there was never any debate as to what division or grade they would start in. Usually in most cases concerning sports competitions, if an amalgamation between two or more clubs or teams occur where said clubs would otherwise compete in different leagues or grades the following season, the newly amalgamated side would compete in the highest league or grade one of those teams would have competed in that season, essentially as a "successor" team as that team has not effectively withdrawn from competition. So if NTS were to be in a position to remain in Division 2 & Intermediate for 2020, I'd be 99% certain the new "Naomh Eoghain" would simply take their place, while Division 3 & Junior would be reduced to 16 teams (assuming the inclusion of EC3).
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #41897 on: October 28, 2019, 09:46:24 AM »
I didn't think it went into a play off for a play off spot? I thought it went to Head to Head and point difference

In an ideal world there wouldn't be playoffs to decide playoffs, but score difference can't be used if any games involving those teams have been conceded during the season.
Think there needs to be a big deterrent in the way of a huge fine for those teams that do concede games at Senior level.

Whatever the truth is about the Loughmacrory/Strabane game, there's something badly wrong when a team concedes a game even though they need points to stay out of the relegation zone.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:51:37 AM by clarshack »

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #41898 on: October 28, 2019, 09:53:29 AM »
What will happen in Division 2 if there are more than 2 clubs on 15 points after the last round of fixtures? More playoffs to make playoffs? Aghyaran guaranteed to be on 15 points anyway as Urney have packed up for the year after yesterday. Be interesting to see how the others on 13 fair out. We only have another fortnight to wait to find out!!

Probably. When three or more clubs are involved, score difference comes into play. However if any of the teams in question either conceded or were given a walkover in any league game then they must play-off for the final league position if it concerns relegation or promotion. So if Augher is among any of those whom finish on say 15pts on a three-way or bigger tie, then play-off matches will be required to determine who finishes sixth in the final league table for the promotion play-offs.

If you were to "freeze" the Division 2 table as it stands, Galbally would win the league, Loughmacrory would take automatic promotion, Pomeroy, Clogher & Owen Roes would enter the promotion play-offs, while there would be a five-way play-off for the final spot between Augher, Greencastle, Gortin, Aghyaran & Moortown due to Augher giving Owen Roes a w/o. This would involve three "rounds" of games, with the eventual winner meeting Pomeroy in the promotion play-offs, while Clogher & Owen Roes would face each other in the other game.

Talk about grim. 😧

No playoffs for a playoff spot as I understand, only to decide a league title?

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #41899 on: October 28, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »

Talk about grim. 😧
Those are higher ranked criteria but with 5 teams you cant use Head to Head and with games being conceded you cant use point difference.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #41900 on: October 28, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »
2019 Tyrone CCC Regulations

http://tyronegaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019-Tyrone-CCC-Regulations.pdf

Paragraph 23

When teams finish with equal points for qualification for the concluding staged, or for promotion or relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

i) The outcome of the meeting(s) of the teams in the previous game(s) in the competition
ii) The largest scoring difference (subtracting the total scores against from the total scores for) in the meetings of the teams in the previous game(s)
iii) The highest total scores for, in the meeting(s) of the teams in the previous game(s)
iv) Largest overall league scoring difference (subtracting the total scores against from total scores for)
v) The highest overall league total score for
vi) A playoff

Exceptions:
a) In relation to means outlined in (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above, if the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by playoff.
b) Regulations (i), (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) shall not apply to Under16 or younger age grade  competitions

The above rules are derived from those in the 2019 GAA Official Guide, Part One, 6.21 (4) and 6.38 (a).

https://www.gaa.ie/news/2019-official-gaa-guide/
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #41901 on: October 28, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
In an ideal world there wouldn't be playoffs to decide playoffs, but score difference can't be used if any games involving those teams have been conceded during the season.
Think there needs to be a big deterrent in the way of a huge fine for those teams that do concede games at Senior level.

Whatever the truth is about the Loughmacrory/Strabane game, there's something badly wrong when a team concedes a game even though they need points to stay out of the relegation zone.

There are two, non-monetary ways in dealing with this that are done in some other Ulster counties...

1. A team failing to field or have a tie awarded against them on a proven objection etc. is subject to being deducted one or two league points for that fixture.

2. Every team is awarded one league point for completing a fixture, with an additional four points for the winners and two points for a draw in each fixture played. So essentially it is 5pts for a win, 3pts for a draw & 1pt for a loss. If a team fails to field, concedes a walkover etc. they receive no league points, whilst the other team gets five league points as it would be assumed  that they would have fielded. In an event of a fixture being scratched or a (rare) double walkover, no points are awarded to either team.

Onthe40

• View Profile
« Reply #41902 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »

Is that Urney in junior?

Weren't they senior 2 years ago?

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #41903 on: October 28, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »

Is that Urney in junior?

Weren't they senior 2 years ago?

Back to back relegations. Urney are a great club, but they are stuggling badly with numbers as most clubs outside the big 5/6.

redhandofgod

• View Profile
« Reply #41904 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
Not back to back, Galbally, Pomeroy and Aghyaran relegated last year from Div 1.

TF15

• View Profile
« Reply #41905 on: October 28, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
Are Newtonstewart changing their name with the Dregish club coming on board?

GlenMan

• View Profile
« Reply #41906 on: October 28, 2019, 11:41:26 AM »

Well officially it would be a new Club so would need a new name.

Pearse Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #41907 on: October 28, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »

Well officially it would be a new Club so would need a new name.
How is the division decided?

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #41908 on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
Not back to back, Galbally, Pomeroy and Aghyaran relegated last year from Div 1.

You are correct! I read that somewhere last night on twitter and spat it out incorrectly.

A genuine question - how many current Dregish players start in the Newtonstewart team. Is there a chance this will be an instant success?

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #41909 on: October 28, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »

You are correct! I read that somewhere last night on twitter and spat it out incorrectly.

A genuine question - how many current Dregish players start in the Newtonstewart team. Is there a chance this will be an instant success?

I’d be surprised if it was many if at all any being honest. Their better players over the last few years have been their older players who seem to be just playing so that they field. I’d say with the new move that they’ll pull the plug on playing. They have had the bare 15 for this season so NTS wouldn’t be gaining many players. Where have their youth players been playing the past few years?