Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 6400229 times)

TabClear

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #39720 on: January 04, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
Agreed. Last year in Tyrone there were two panel members outside of the senior clubs. That has been reversed slightly due to pomeroy being relegated and call ups from Aghyarn and Galbally. Definitely an issue in Tyrone that if you play for an intermediate or Junior club your only realistic chance of making the county squad is being an outstanding talent at underage and never falling off that ladder. Surely we are missing a trick by seemingly discounting almost 2/3s of our playing population. I know the standard is obviously higher in Div 1 but if you unearthed a player or two every so often from the lower divisions it would make the effort it would take worthwhile. On a separate note, a lot of intermediate and junior players feel a total disconnect from the county team and see them only as a hindrance to getting their own games played.

I would agree with this. Part of the problem is that the lower division players who might have a chance of making it do not have a chance to adjust to the step up in opposition skill level. They lord games in the lower league because they are a level above the opposition. However, if they get a call up for the county they find it  diffficult to make the adjustment in that the things that work for them i the lower league will not work at elite level e.g. taking a couple of men on rather than the simple pass etc. They end up making the wrong decision out of habit. A few games in the regional teams would allow them to get used to being marked by higher quality opponents and adjust their game accordingly.

Its something you see regularly when minors make the step up to senior football at club level. The good minors who were used to running over the top of players in underage try the same at senior but soon realise that even the fat, balding corner back is a tougher opponent than the majority of the underage players!

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #39721 on: January 04, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »
Can anyone name a Div 2 or 3 player who should be on the panel and isn't?

bigpackiechestout

• View Profile
« Reply #39722 on: January 04, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »

Maybe not but I can name plenty of Div 2 or 3 players who were very good underage players at School or County level and who had the potential to play senior county football. Had they been playing for one of the top clubs in county and exposed to senior club football from the age of 17 or 18 some of these lads could well have developed into Senior County Footballers.

Take Glenelly for example, they are (or used to be anyway) consistently represented by 2 or 3 lads on successful CBS Omagh teams. Yet they have been a poor division 3 teams for years and when was the last time they had a Tyrone Senior panelist? I would argue a promising young player from the likes of Glenelly is more likely to drift away or not fully commit to the game when they have so little to play for at club level.

Maor Uisce

• View Profile
« Reply #39723 on: January 04, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
The point is potential is being missed. I am not saying they are 10+ players in div 2/3 who are being obviously overlooked. The lower Divisions as a whole are not considered by the current set-up for a number of reasons. As pointed out above underage inter-county teams, development squads and schools team all have players from across the divisions. So it is safe to state that at 19-21 we have players who are on the cusp of senior football who all have shown promise and may have the potential to play inter-county football. What happens? A select few (depending on the senior teams needs) of the stand out performers will be called into the senior squad. The rest? Most will go back to their clubs, some will play third level football. A very small number may put in huge performances at university level in Mc Kenna cup games Vs their own county and get the call up. I'm not sure this has happened anyone in Tyrone. Now you are left with the majority who go back to play for their clubs. What is the obvious route to get onto the Tyrone panel? You play for a senior club, perform well in a championship campaign and you will likely get called up. The players who go back to DIV2/3 club are not exposed to the same quality etc so the option of a championship with divisional sides would bridge this gap. This would create a path for players who fall off the ladder to get back to where they want to be. Perfect example being two recent players who have been called back into the squad after time away. Would this have happened had they played for a lower division team? Despite the same effort/ commitment from both players, I don't think so. All hypothetical obviously :)

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #39724 on: January 04, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »
Plenty of Senior clubs who from time to time have had no county players. I don't think you can blame the fact they're playing Div 2 or 3. Sure these young lads get a run out in u-21 or u-20 now and also University teams. Sure enough there might be 1 or 2 every now and again overlooked but I doubt there's 10 or 12 players being overlooked or not developed.

bogball88

• View Profile
« Reply #39725 on: January 04, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Any truth that Loughmacrory have a new recruit in from Killyclogher?

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #39726 on: January 05, 2019, 04:20:12 AM »
Why don't you have a go at a select from your area? Be a welcome discussion in comparison to somethings put up here.
What are the boundaries?
Ardboe parish
Clonoe parish
Coalisland parish
Cookstown/Rock/Kildress
Dungannon/Edendork/Killyman/Donaghmore/Moy
Eglish/kileeshil/Aghaloo/Galbally
Augher/Clogher/Eskra/Errigal
Dromore/Trillick/Fintona/Drumquin/Dregish/Derg
Omagh/Tatts/Drumragh/Killyclogher
Beragh/Carrickmore/Loughmcrory/Greencastle
How do you stop them fighting in the changing rooms?

Thats a pretty good attempt

Tho are we saying the remaining North tyrone teams are the one side?

Derg Dregish Drumquin Newton and Aghayarn would be more natural bedfellows

And in reality Im not sure you could realistically get anyone to join with Carmen, also I thought the whole idea of Errigal was that they already were a joined up team of four clubs?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:50:16 AM by omaghjoe »

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #39727 on: January 05, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »
Darragh kavanagh for augher has been top scorer in div 2 for last two years but didn't even get asked to trials this year.

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #39728 on: January 05, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
Darragh kavanagh for augher has been top scorer in div 2 for last two years but didn't even get asked to trials this year.
Unfortunately doesn't do it on the big days. Was a passenger for long periods of the County Final. For example, I imagine if he had of gotten his desired transfer to Errigal Ciaran I would imagine he'd be a bit part player.

Mikhailov

• View Profile
« Reply #39729 on: January 05, 2019, 04:46:03 PM »
Unfortunately doesn't do it on the big days. Was a passenger for long periods of the County Final. For example, I imagine if he had of gotten his desired transfer to Errigal Ciaran I would imagine he'd be a bit part player.

The transfer probably would have guaranteed him a county call up irrespective if he was a regular for Errigal or not. Ben McDonnell not exactly a key man for them and young God has barely featured and they are in county squad so no doubt Darragh Kavanagh would have received the call up also.

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #39730 on: January 05, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »

One solution without needing to entirely reconstruct the core structure of Tyrone GAA is for Tyrone to put a team into the All-Ireland Junior county competition... don't know eligibility criteria fully but this could be the perfect avenue for talented former minors and U21s from D2/D3 clubs to enter a county competition at a lower grade from the age of 19+ therefore keeping them involved in county football. Ulster shelved their competition a few years ago but Cavan play in Leinster as far as I know and Tyrone could do similar. Kerry have used this competition to keep fringe players involved in the county setup in recent years, even being used as a stepping stone to the senior squad for lads between minor and 21s. Denis Bastick won an All-Ireland Junior with Dublin at MF back in 2006 before stepping up to Senior grade, I'm pretty sure he won't go down in the pantheon of all time greats but he has 5 All-Irelands which he contributed to handsomly and wasn't lost to county football as he may have been otherwise...

I remember in the previous years, 2007 and 2006, I was eligible to play junior as my club wasn’t playing senior championship and I remember going out in a game at Parnell Park against Louth and I was having an absolute stormer and I know the Dublin (senior) team management were there watching as well.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/he-made-his-debut-at-28-he-won-five-allireland-medals-denis-basticks-dublin-career-was-far-from-normal-36415790.html

Judging by that article he was eligible as his club weren't playing senior at the time... someone give us a stab at a D2/D3 team now knowing full well this could be a realistic option and not pie in the sky... I'm sure also a lot of Tyrone supporters and maybe those disenfranchised D2/D3 folk might take a bit of enjoyment watching this team too as I'm sure the wave of negative tactics rife in the club and senior county game would be less employed. Now as for fixtures and scheduling dont go there, there's plenty of counties faciliting a junior county team and we should be well fit to as well.

Frank_The_Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #39731 on: January 05, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »

Is every championship game not a 'big day' and he was MOTM in the first round, the quarter final and the semi-final
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #39732 on: January 06, 2019, 02:21:21 AM »

Is every championship game not a 'big day' and he was MOTM in the first round, the quarter final and the semi-final

Unfortunately I wasn't at the first round game but I am led to believe Aidan Cassidy bossed proceedings that day. As for the QF he was held scoreless from play and in the Semi it was Connor Hackett who was MOTM. I've no problem with the lad as I think he is a very talented free taker in Div 2, however my grievance was with STG mentioning him as potential county standard. I believe there to be many many footballers in the lower divisions who would deservedly stake a claim before him. Even from within the Augher club I would suggest there are players with a better claim. Just my opinion.

southtyronegael

• View Profile
« Reply #39733 on: January 06, 2019, 09:38:28 AM »
Sorry twouptwodown, but their is nobody in augher team close to kavanagh. Scored 2-9 in champ semi final and averaged close to 7 points a game over 15 league games. I'm not sure if he proper county standard but deserved a crack at trials or Mc Kenna cup.

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #39734 on: January 06, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
Scored 2.09 yet Hackett was still given MOTM. He reminds me a lot of Aidan McCarron from Fintona a few years back. Scored plenty in the league for the club yet just was nowhere near that level of a county player. So much so that he sought a transfer to play within another county. Given the past of DK it wouldn't surprise me if he tried something similar ;D . All joking aside I would not argue he is their main scoring threat but IMO Finbar McQuaid is the standard bearer in that Augher team and Cassidy (when fit) would have been similar.