Author Topic: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling  (Read 5751499 times)

Degrassi Hi

• View Profile
Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #38175 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
Are you sure Errigal 3rd have been in Division 2??  Im nearly sure they havent but correct me if Im wrong

Don't believe that Errigal III have been in intermediate but Errigal II won promotion in round 1990 or 91 with the Canavans & Mickey Harte all playing.

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #38176 on: August 10, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
Are you sure Errigal 3rd have been in Division 2??  Im nearly sure they havent but correct me if Im wrong

They have never been promoted. YET

Tommo2

• View Profile
« Reply #38177 on: August 10, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Omagh will find it tough in senior championship 5 starters gone for different reasons new jobs ,travel, and injury.

Jason McAnulla is back. Meyler & Conor Clarke out.

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #38178 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

Don't believe that Errigal III have been in intermediate but Errigal II won promotion in round 1990 or 91 with the Canavans & Mickey Harte all playing.

Errigal had a senior and reserve team playing in Division 1 in 1990. The Errigal II team played in Division 3 that year too. Maybe Errigal II should have been named Errigal III at the time.

In hiding

• View Profile
« Reply #38179 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Omagh will find it tough in senior championship 5 starters gone for different reasons new jobs ,travel, and injury.

Aaron Grugan and Stevie Mullan also not available

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #38180 on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
There wouldn't be an issue for Errigal thirds winning the Division 3 championship and getting promoted to Division 2 however they would not be able to play in the Ulster club championship.  I would doubt if they would be able to be promoted to Division 1 if they were ever to win an Intermediate league or championship. You still give great credit to the Errigal club for being able to provide competitive football for the players in their 4 parishes.

Eh?

It is one Parish..

Onthe40

• View Profile
« Reply #38181 on: August 10, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »

Aaron Grugan and Stevie Mullan also not available

from what I hear big Joe hasn't trained, played much either...

tyrone86

• Almost winning
    • View Profile
« Reply #38182 on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Errigal II's won Division 3 in 1990 after being admitted to the league late in the year and the seconds were essentially the Glencull team that weren't allowed to affiliate with the Canavan's, Gormley's Mickey Harte etc. They got relegated from Division 2 in 91 and that was them until the 3rds were admitted to the Junior League in the mid 2000s.

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #38183 on: August 10, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
As far as I know as long as there has been no games conceded to the teams involved throughout the season then it goes to score difference. Otherwise its a playoff.

Youd imagine the championship will be between eskra and clogher so a chance of revenge for the eskra men there.

Cheers SB, that makes sense.

Would nt be too sure about the Championship being a 2 horse race. As Killeshil proved at Eskra any of the top 5 or 6 in Div 3 could turn them over in a single game.

Errigal Thirds could be a darkhorse albeit they have a tricky opening tie against Drumragh.

Errigal strong contender for Junior championship. Will beat Drumragh ok
Errigal making some push on all fronts for honours this year. 25 years on the go
Minor championship in the bag and division 1 & 3 Reserve championship likely to follow this weekend
Could be a record haul this year

Its taking the piss out of actual Div 3 Clubs. Proper Junior Clubs investing a lot of resources into developing players to try and get promoted/win silverware, then Errigal just drop Senior players down to their III's team with no oversight from the County Board.

Errigal III's can't even get promoted so whats the point?

All the players involved with the Thirds are not senior panellists and have committed  to them for the year. I think there are some ex seniors lads there but have been all year and haven't been involved with the senior panel. Reasons being work, not at senior standard anymore and not having the time to commit to a DIV 1 team.

Some people will always have a gripe about something but I know in Div 3 a lot of the club's are a fan of having them there. You know when scheduled to play them you will get two guaranteed competitive games - And that can't be said about a lot of the teams in the Division as there are many weeks when games are conceded etc. Out of interest it'd be interesting to see if their fourths have ever conceded a game? And isn't that what it's all about, especially at reserve level,  getting matches?

Carmen Stateside

• View Profile
« Reply #38184 on: August 10, 2018, 01:03:48 PM »
There wouldn't be an issue for Errigal thirds winning the Division 3 championship and getting promoted to Division 2 however they would not be able to play in the Ulster club championship.  I would doubt if they would be able to be promoted to Division 1 if they were ever to win an Intermediate league or championship. You still give great credit to the Errigal club for being able to provide competitive football for the players in their 4 parishes.

Eh?

It is one Parish..

He meant to say it was great of the four parishes to supply players to the Errigal club ;)

WeeDonns

• View Profile
« Reply #38185 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
Agreed that teams appreciate the competitive games

I was at the Drumragh V Errigal III Reserve Championship game.
Errigal fielded a very strong team of players that was mostly made up of thirds Senior players

It was a little disappointing to see a team of young lads that have had a strong league campaign, get completely whipped at home by the "same" team they beat in the league at dunmoyle

Playing Senior players in the Reserve Championship is a completely different debate to what you guys are discussing here but its the sort of thing that may add to any gripe some might have about a thirds team

Under Lights

• View Profile
« Reply #38186 on: August 10, 2018, 01:49:18 PM »

Errigal fielded a very strong team of players that was mostly made up of thirds Senior players

It was a little disappointing to see a team of young lads that have had a strong league campaign, get completely whipped at home by the "same" team they beat in the league at dunmoyle

Playing Senior players in the Reserve Championship is a completely different debate to what you guys are discussing here but its the sort of thing that may add to any gripe some might have about a thirds team

Yeah former county under 21 Sean McKenna is playing in the reserve championship in D3 this year because he didn't play on the thirds senior championship team last year (he was with the firsts and their reserves last year), same with a few others whom dropped down this year. Devalues the compeition from a reserve prespective.

LeoMc

• View Profile
« Reply #38187 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »

Yeah former county under 21 Sean McKenna is playing in the reserve championship in D3 this year because he didn't play on the thirds senior championship team last year (he was with the firsts and their reserves last year), same with a few others whom dropped down this year. Devalues the compeition from a reserve prespective.

Did he play senior or reserve championship last year?
I thought you were ineligible if you played in the higher grade the year before.

TwoUpTwoDown

• View Profile
« Reply #38188 on: August 10, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »

I seen that. Which is definitely a flaw in the system. But is it not that the last senior championship game makes you ineligible for reserve championship? Did Sean make an appearance in last year's final against Omagh? Either way, I think it takes away from the point regarding Errigal 3rds. Despite all this, they are an extra set of competitive games in Div 3 and are a welcome addition. For example, their reserve team are top of the League where I can only assume it doesn't have some of their senior players every week.

giveherlong

• View Profile
« Reply #38189 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:23 PM »
Clean sweep for errigal with 2 reserve championship titles tonight in Healy Park