Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

The county convention takes place tonight in Beragh.

Anyone know who is up for election/standing/opposing?

I know there is a fella from the Beragh club standing for treasurer against the current incumbent, Seamus McDonald

ziggysego

Has anyone seen the Christmas cards that ClubTyrone are sending out this year? Tragic!
Testing Accessibility

clarshack

greencastle will likely play killala of mayo in the ai semi. killala beat cliden of galway in the connacht junior final on sunday by a point in extra time. they should easily beat the british champs. killala play in div 3 in mayo which would be of a good standard (think there are 5 league divisions in mayo)

ziggysego

Quote from: clarshack on December 12, 2006, 02:14:39 PM
greencastle will likely play killala of mayo in the ai semi. killala beat cliden of galway in the connacht junior final on sunday by a point in extra time. they should easily beat the british champs. killala play in div 3 in mayo which would be of a good standard (think there are 5 league divisions in mayo)

Thanks, was driving me nuts there. No-one knew.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on December 12, 2006, 12:27:34 PM
Has anyone seen the Christmas cards that ClubTyrone are sending out this year? Tragic!

Received a batch of them today. Not as good as last year's effort indeed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

CHAIRMAN'S  ADDRESS  TO  CONVENTION  2006

Work has commenced on the fourth stage of the refurbishment of Healy Park.  Completion will see new health and safety facilities for spectators, players and officials which will make Healy Park one of the finest county grounds in the country.  This will conclude an investment totalling £5 million.

I thank our funders namely Central Council, Ulster Council, Sports Council for Northern Ireland, Club Tyrone and our sponsors.  I pay tribute to our clubs for supporting the Millennium Initiative 2000 which kick started the project.  Without this broad funding base the Healy Park development would not have happened.  This investment is good for the future hosting of our major games.  It is good for Healy Park; it is good for the GAA in Tyrone and it is vested in the GAA.

There are issues in all our provinces regarding the quality and quantity of county grounds and questions whether to sell and relocate or refurbish.  Current ad hoc arrangements may not be in the overallinterest of the GAA.  The Association needs to take the lead role by reviewing all stadia against broad criteria to include location, size, spectator comfort, access, car parking, traffic control, impact on local residents, media facilities, safety, cost effectiveness and overall fitness for purpose in the 21st century.  The outcome should be a National Plan which takes account of national, provincial and
county needs.

Forward planning the County Committee will develop a training complex to meet the growing demands of county teams and development squads including ladies football and camogie.  The County Committee must accept more responsibility for training provision and take some of that pressure from our clubs.  We are in the final stage of negotiation with Omagh District Council to purchase lands in Strathroy.  The lands will be developed to include playing pitches, changing facilities, an astro turf floodlight facility, indoor hurling alley, gymnasium and other modern training facilities.  We also plan to build an administrative headquarters to ensure our staff and committees work in environments which meet our obligations under Health and Safety legislation.  This investment will be good for the GAA in Tyrone and the Strathroy community in particular.  We also plan to provide more covered accommodation for spectators in Healy Park.  The one stand syndrome is outdated.  All 140,000 spectators who visited Healy Park in 2006 should have the comfort of seated covered accommodation.

The County Committee development plans require significant capital investment which will burden our amateur Association.  Nevertheless we must plan for the present and future.  In taking our plans forward I will be urging government for affirmative funding on two grounds.  First, it is self evident government is more interested in the GAA and what it does.  Financial support from Lottery and other grants is testament to that.  However, when it comes to county projects we are playing 'catch up' from the historical underfunding of the GAA by government, both North and South.  Secondly, government fails to give due regard to the full impact of the GAA's contribution to communities in providing value added to policies on health and social cohesion, culture and tourism.  The GAA is the largest amateur
participant and spectator organisation in Ireland.  The provision of facilities and services in communities has developed over generations of voluntary effort and fundraising.  Government must give due recognition to the impact and quality of this effort.

We need to raise the profile of hurling in Tyrone.  To do so however will require an attitude change.  There is a tendency, when it comes to Tyrone hurling, to dwell on the negative.  I will focus on the positives and there are many.  New clubs are affiliating at youth level.  These clubs will be encouraged by the success of Naom Colmcille, formed as a youth unit 20 years ago, but now an established senior club.  This year they celebrated the opening of their new grounds — the first hurling pitch in Tyrone.

I point to the success of our 2006 hurling camps with over one thousand children participating.  Our senior and minor county hurlers can be proud in winning the National League Shield and reaching an All Ireland Final in their respective grades.  We are currently putting in place management teams for 2007.  I ask all our best hurlers to answer the county call and be proud to wear the Tyrone jersey.  The County Committee is investing £100,000 in employing a County Hurling Development Manager and 4 hurling coaches.  This will ensure all primary schools and club youth teams will benefit from coaching in hurling.  Hurling in Tyrone will also be supported by provincial coaches as part of the Ulster Grounds Three Year Games Development and Governance Initiative.

2007 will see us taking forward the integration of CLCG, Cuman Camogiochta na ngael and Cuman Peile Gael na mban.  A county integration committee is in place and each club will be required to appoint a Club Integration Officer.  I ask all of you to actively promote the mutual benefits of working in partnership to develop Gaelic games.  All codes will benefit in areas of fixtures, referees, ground sharing, fund raising, administration, club development, strategic planning and PR and marketing.  The greatest impact will be at club level.  A General Management Committee representing all codes will manage your club.  This has been the strength of the GAA at grassroots level — one family, one club integrated and united working together to promote our games and culture.

In some circumstances it may not be feasible for a single club to offer all our games.  In those situations clubs should co-operate and share resources to support a hurling, camogie or handball unit.

2007 will see the introduction of new structures and procedures for fixtures and discipline.  These are on your clar.  I believe the new arrangements will bring greater clarity and independence to our proceedings and I urge all members to support their findings and decisions.

On disciplinary matters it would be negligent on my part not to express my concern at some of the incidents on our playing fields during 2006.  Notwithstanding the ugly scenes in the International Rules series, we had our own problems within our county and the Ulster Club Championships.  Melees and brawls have no place in our games.  If the usual disciplinary actions prove ineffective then we must think the unthinkable and suspend teams from the whole or part of a competition.  No one enjoys handing down lengthy suspensions to amateur players.  It need not happen if everyone reasserts the core values of Gaelic games which include self discipline, sportsmanship, respect for opponents and respect for officials.

Concluding I thank everyone involved in the conduct and work of CLCG at club and county level during 2006.  I thank all our supporters and sponsors; congratulate all our winners and wish everyone a successful 2007.

Padraig O Dorchái
Cathaoirleach
12th December 2006

Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Just about to post it Ziggy. Got there before me. Guess that's the difference between a hero member and a Sr Member. Big plans for Healy Park and Strathroy ahead.

ziggysego

Definately is looking good for Tyrone. From reading today's Irish News, Tyrone GAA are hoping with the future developments at Healy Park, they will be able to host Ulster Semi Finals. This is good news, but they would need to look at the roads and parking around Omagh and Healy Park before they start that. It's a nightmare at the moment getting in and out after games.
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Here's a link to the whole 2006 Tyrone report - 76 pages Enjoy

http://www.tyronegaa.ie/admin/documents/CompleteReport06.pdf

Yes Ziggy a wee bit of thought and management and that problem can be addressed satisfactorily

ziggysego

Any word come through regarding the Championship draws? My source for tonight seems to have disappeared.
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Sorry Ziggy never heard. No doubt the morning news.

never kickt a ball

QuoteThe  2007 championship draws did not take place . with reports circulating that E-Ciarian  are intending to field a 3rd team , which would enter  the 3rd division league and junior championship , with the championship draws , taking place in early Jan 2007.

There's our answer Ziggy

ziggysego

Quote from: Sludden on December 13, 2006, 12:47:23 AM
The  2007 championship draws did not take place . with reports circulating that E-Ciarian  are intending to field a 3rd team , which would enter  the 3rd division league and junior championship , with the championship draws , taking place in early Jan 2007.

Is this the reason the draw wasn't made, or just a footnote?
Testing Accessibility

never kickt a ball

Thanks for info Sludden. Any thoughts on Omagh cbs v St Michaels in MacCrory cup???

King Chancer

still got the gripe for corrigan i see. ;D theres a hill sludden take a run and get over it