Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the sideline

Quote from: LeoMc on September 29, 2017, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: Thastheball on September 29, 2017, 10:22:43 AM
Quote from: an léirmheastóir on September 29, 2017, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: Thastheball on September 29, 2017, 09:34:00 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 29, 2017, 08:48:38 AM
Agreed. A strong gaa club/ community  is the greatest asset a parish or village will have. But it costs lots to keep it going and in many ways that is a cost to the community through fundraising. If you are a benefactor then you can't charge your community.

You can't, but your happy to pay the stranger? It has to be an Irish begrudgery thing more than anything else. The Gaa is built on parochialism and that means inward self help, that model also promotes begrudgery. If logic was applied and emotion taken out of it, the argument is a dead duck

Do you really think that it would be fair for a club to pay its own club man to manage a senior team? Does that mean the whole management set up of the seniors? What about youth management? Youth Officers, the man who marks the pitch, the girl who washes the jerseys, the lotto sellers, the ticket sellers or the lads who carry out the maintenance work around the grounds?  Should they all be paid?
Is the senior manager the most important person in the club in your opinion?
I don't!
I don't mind a few expenses for the outside man as he has mileage and using his phone to contact teams and his players but to supplement a man as much as a weekly wage is just wrong.
Where has the amateur ethos gone?

I am not trying to be smart or ignorant when I say this, but the where have you been living the past ten years, very few senior clubs don't pay. This argument about lotto seller etc is completely irrelevant as currently all the things you outlined are continuing even with paid managers. My question is still why a club is happy to pay the stranger but not the neighbour, friend or club member. as I said before, not wanting to do it is completely about begrudgery, as the when paying the outside man the principle of being amateur has been conceded, and that was done along time ago, therefore the only conclusion is begrudery.

Don't start me about the 'expenses' paid to county boards or the Ulster council which has over 40 paid employees and then come back with the argument about not paying a manager. This nut was cracked along time ago.
Would Physios working with their own club be paid?

Absolutely

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: TROUSERS on September 29, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on September 29, 2017, 11:48:10 AM
Suppose all men selling club gear hand all the coin back to the club as well especially their own club

I might be wrong do most clubs not sell their own club gear?

Lot clubs do but also plenty selling club gear for personal profit.

Any examples of clubs where this happens? I know of one club where a man set up a business to do stuff and was using clubs to gain profit but think that was quickly stopped. Don't think of any more tho

an léirmheastóir

Surprised to see Owen roes beat by tattyreagh thought the writing was on the wall there was a double going north. Think the other games are all interesting in their own rights. Derrylaughan v Aghyaran probably should be the final but if this year has told us anything nothing is predictable. Moy v gorging they have both been plugging away and grinding out results. Omagh v Trillick should be a great game with the eventual cup winners coming from this tie. Pomeroy and Errigal will only be interesting is the 3 hard games in a week don't take its toll on them. I tip Derrylaughan Gortin Omagh and Errigal.

Goals_Will_Come

Thought Tattyreagh were full value for the win. End of the first half it looked Owen Roes starting to get on top but Tattyreagh came out very strong in the second half. Johnny Harkin had a massive second half at midfield and even was well on top of McShane when he was out round the middle. James Darcy also very impressive. Penalty miss knocked the stuffing out of Owen Roes and they never looked like recovering after that.

TROUSERS

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on September 29, 2017, 11:20:20 PM
Quote from: TROUSERS on September 29, 2017, 09:39:52 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on September 29, 2017, 11:48:10 AM
Suppose all men selling club gear hand all the coin back to the club as well especially their own club

I might be wrong do most clubs not sell their own club gear?

Lot clubs do but also plenty selling club gear for personal profit.

Any examples of clubs where this happens? I know of one club where a man set up a business to do stuff and was using clubs to gain profit but think that was quickly stopped. Don't think of any more tho

Wouldn't know any clubs but there are plenty of businesses selling club branded gear, embroidering club gear and so on.

omagh_gael

Some performance by Omagh to pull back a 6 point deficit in the second half. Ronan O'Neill's goal the key score. Hopefully they stay focused and complete the job in the final. They'll go into it as big favourites.

giveherlong

Will the county final be played in carrickmore now so omagh don't have home advantage? Precedent set with the first round game v Ardboe

omagh_gael

Omagh have always played any county final they've reached in Healy Park.  The only reason Ardboe game played in Armagh was due to the lack of appropriate neutral facilities with floodlights for midweek game.

giveherlong

Why should you have home advantage in county final??
I'm sure either Errigal or Pomeroy will be asking the same questions

omagh_gael

It's the county ground, simple. Like I said, Omagh have been in county finals before and they were all (if memory serves me correctly) in Healy Park. Why would this year be any different?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: giveherlong on September 30, 2017, 07:52:22 PM
Why should you have home advantage in county final??
I'm sure either Errigal or Pomeroy will be asking the same questions
Quote from: giveherlong on September 30, 2017, 07:23:08 PM
Will the county final be played in carrickmore now so omagh don't have home advantage? Precedent set with the first round game v Ardboe

Two posts in half an hour. Are you going to whinge and wine about this for two weeks?
They beat Carrickmore in 2014 and lost to Carrickmore in 2005 when the precedent was set - both in Healy Park.

I'd have Errigal as strong favourites myself.

trileacman

County finals should be held in county grounds. Either that or just have all the f**king games in Armagh.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

In hiding

Thought omaghs resolve was very impressive today. Ronan o neills goal coming so soon after Richie Donnelly scored his was the sign of a mature team. Trillick had opportunities but the last 15 mins from omagh was very controlled

tothetop03

Quote from: In hiding on September 30, 2017, 08:35:56 PM
Thought omaghs resolve was very impressive today. Ronan o neills goal coming so soon after Richie Donnelly scored his was the sign of a mature team. Trillick had opportunities but the last 15 mins from omagh was very controlled

+1 cannot disagree any with that...Brian McCallion out of his depth....

trileacman

As bad a defeat as I've had to take in recent years. I'd say dungannon in the intermediate final was the last defeat that vexed me as much as today.

We played very well and lead for 90% of the game. Can have no complaints with the ref(apart from cutting short injury time) or Omagh. They beat us fairly and we're well disciplined. We should have beat them though. In modern football 6 points is a monster lead and to concede a goal within 30 seconds of scoring our own is a body blow. A hugely skilled game though. Pure class from lots of men and was a joy to watch lee's free taking and some of Conans point scoring. Thought o Donnell was the difference too. Not too many players give kelly a game like that.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014