Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhandfan

It is hard to know what to make of today's big championship clash at Dungannon.  There was a very large crowd present and, apart from a fairly stiff breeze, conditions were excellent.  It wasn't a bad game but there was a serious lack of intensity....there was the occasional little off-the-ball tiff but no really big hits or crunching tackles.  I suspect the final might be a more physical affair with Dromore involved!

Anyhow, McGinn was certainly the star of the show in the first half and he was almost Canavan-like in the way he got out in front, jinked about and swung the ball effortlessly over the bar.  Brilliant to watch at times.  He was ably supported by Shane Mulgrew, who is also a fine attacker, and Donaghmore were motoring well all over the field in those opening thirty minutes.  

Coalisland were very poor throughout the first half but were a transformed team after the break.  Peter Donnelly's move to centrefield was crucial to the outcome of this game....he was masterful in this sector along with the impressive Plunkett Kane.  Niall Kerr did an excellent marking job when switched onto McGinn for the second half but he was helped by the poor service to Donaghmore's ace attacker during this period.  As impressive as Coalisland were in that second half, I am still not entirely convinced by them.  They looked good today when they eventually got on a roll but they are fairly lightweight in key areas of the field which may cause them problems against more physical opponents like Dromore.

On the basis of what I saw today, I would be making Dromore slight favourites for the final.  The Coalisland players were also a bit too jubilant for my liking at the final whistle....I know it is a big achievement for many of these young players to reach a County Final but the celebrations were a bit over the top.  I was not in Omagh on Friday night but I suspect the Dromore reaction at winning their semi-final was more muted.  Noel McGinn and company would not see any reason for celebrating just yet.

Oh, and lest I forget, Kildress referee Kieran Kelly definitely did his best to spoil what should have been a fairly easy game to officiate today.  He was far too fussy and many of his decisions were baffling.  He didn't favour any team but made a mess of things at times.  Meanwhile, the two funniest things I witnessed in relation to today's action at Dungannon were the sideline kick from an ex-Armagh Harps player which saw the ball clear the roof of the stand at O'Neill Park in the second half of the senior match and Ricey's sideline rantings during extra-time in the U-16 curtain-raiser between his club Dromore and Errigal Ciaran!

loughshore lad

Was in Dungannon yesterday for the game and thought that Coalisland were value for their victory. It was certainly a game of two halves - I wonder was the breeze more of a factor on the field than it appeared from the stand?
Dmore played some good stuff in the first half with McGinn excellent and getting good support from Shane Mulgrew. They simply didnt show up for the second half with the Fianna taking complete control, the switching of Donnelly to midfield and O'Farrell into the half back line appeared to give them a better balance. Thornton also had a good game getting through an enormous amount of work.
Fianna are a good footballing side who move the ball at pace and break well from the back. The big problem for them the next day is Dromore will not allow this to happen, they will play a much more robust game than Donaghmore did and it will be interesting to see how the fianna cope. The fiannas celebrations at the end of the game will have been noted by the Dromore contigent as well and will no doubt be used as a source of motivation for Dromore.
With respect to potential county players it was not difficult to pick out McCaul as a county player, he has fantastic pace and the ability to break the game line. McGinn was excellent in the first half when there was a decent supply of ball, he definitely has great potential but would to knock the soccer on the head (btw - I think he showed yesterday he is a much better player than either of the Early's contrary to what some posters on here think). Kelvin Hughes was very poor yesterday and in my opinion is not up to it. Peter Donnelly had a great second half when moved to midfield but still dont think he is county standard. Not sure if Coalisland have any other candidates or not - they have plenty of good footballers but am not convinced they have any consistent stand out performers. 

oneillcup2007

I though Peter Donnelly was excellent yesterday, when moved to midfield and I thought the Fianna did enough against formidable opponents.  All credit to Donaghmore they stopped our goalscoring threat, and if they hadnt stopped feeding Mc Ginn who knows what could have happened.  Having attended on Friday night I would not be picking out Dromore as anything different.   As I said before the hype has been huge fair play to the young guys for being worth it.  The blue flame keeps burning.   

rrhf

Well done Coalisland and o Neill cup2007 they played better in the important periods of the game and turned the game on its head.  We didnt perform in the second half and therefore didnt deserve to win simple as that.  Terrible officialdom contributed to at least 3 of Coalisland points.  Coalislands last point before half time was an absolute joke, a line ball was given in error which lead to a point and a yellow card. and a rugby tackle on a Mulgrew ended up with a point on the far side.   If we had performed ourselves in the second half we would have won the game, in spite of the officials so we will not be laying any blame on their incompetence. As for kelvin and Darren - our worse fears were confimed - both men had flu in the lead up and this contributed to their performance - As for Mc Ginn, we lost the game when we stopped feeding him the ball.  he has the potential to be the next Canavan / O Neill in Tyrone football. I think Mickey needs to have a talk with the lad.     

giveherlong

Who's the former Armagh Harps player now playing for coalisland?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Interesting choices/dilemmas ahead for Mickey now, with something of a luxury in potential county men, which bodes well for the coming year.  If Peter Donnelly's getting back to something like his underage prowess that will be a real bonus. Would like to see Niall Gormley given a full run out too, I think he did enough last year to justify his place.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Abble

" Meanwhile, the two funniest things I witnessed in relation to today's action at Dungannon were the sideline kick from an ex-Armagh Harps player which saw the ball clear the roof of the stand "

as you said there was a stiff breeze at times....obviously the breeze was at its worst at this stage !

well done fianna....didn't do yourselves justice in the first half at all, helped with some strange refereeing decisions against both sides, the game was spoilt at times. however, first 10 mins of second half yis cranked things up a bit and were in control until final whistle.

Good luck for the 14th

goal and a point

Peter Donnelly has never got a fair run in the seniors - he is a quality player that need s a few consecutive games to gain a bit of confidence. There are plenty of worse players who got longer runs to boost their confidence to no avail

Fear ón Srath Bán

Peter Donnelly had a fair run out in 2006 I thought, and was persevered with at the beginning of 2007 too. He seemed to be lacking vitality and edge (always off the pace), which in turn affected his play negatively, to the extent that he looked like a pale shadow of his former underage self.  Perhaps Na Fianna's run will be the fillip he needs to perform at Senior level, I certainly hope so.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Amigo - I thought Peter Donnelly was man of the match y'day = I thought he was outstanding - the main reason C'island are in the final.

rrhf

Could you imagine Niall mc Ginn playing for a team that could get the ball to him ie imagine playing off Brian Mc Guigan. Dont forget the lads only 20 so hes a lot to learn no doubt, but if there was a better forward on the field yesterday I ddint see it.  As for Peter Donnelly, Kelvin Hughes was unfortunately flued up going into the game but Donnelly still had to play and looked the part. 

orangeman

Mc Ginn was awesome- every time he got on the ball and had any space, it was a sure score - You're right - rrhf - Brian Mc Guigan and him would be some combination.

Wee Roddy

Carrickmore are down to play Omagh in a league game on Saturday at 4.30pm. This is all despite the fact that the St Colmcilles club has asked six month ago for this date to be free as the Redidication of the Nally stand is taking place on Saturday. Special guests have been invited, a full day of activities has been organised, television cameras are even coming, members of the county board are going to be in attendance yet Cathal Daly and Michael McGoldrick have seen fit to fix a match! >:( >:( >:( >:(
The chairman of the club is absolutly livid. The senior men have played 1 league match in 6 weeks and this happens.

No more tea and sandwiches for them knobs on championship games in Pairc Colmcille from now on.