Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club Rossa

I'm almost certain I went to a Derrylaughan v Derrytresk league game about 20 odd years ago,it was on a Friday night and Derrylaughan won by a big margin.

ONeill

Was it Campbell/McGirr?

Maybe you're right. They won the Junior league in 1994 and Derrylaughan were middlin then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on March 05, 2015, 10:21:18 PM
Derrylaughan v Derrytresk first up. Best to get it out of the road.

Have they ever met before in the league? Not in my lifetime.

Derrylaughan and Derrytresk would have played each other in Division 2 in both the 1993 and 1995 seasons. The Hill were relegated in both those years and were a bit of a yo-yo team in the early to mid nineties.

Keyboard Warrior

Just throwing the topic of club tactics out for discussion.

Firstly, I ask the question, are we in for the year of super defenses?

Just a few points to note from last year:
On the club scene last year, Omagh's defensive strategy paid dividend.
On the county scene, the Dubs without doubt were the best team to watch but ultimately succumbed to defense and strategy.
Given Tyrone's adoption of all out defense, will that influence individual players to encourage the same strategy with their own clubs?
Personally, I think this year will be about the defenses (unfortunately), but would appreciate your views.

Secondly, do you think that a team is best served employing the tactics of the day? Or playing to what they deem to be their strengths?

ose 14

firstly have to congratulate u on a very topical and timely question with the leagues not far away. re omagh my own club they actually started the season with flat out attack and went man for man against coalisland who deployed 2 men on ronan o neill in the first round. then after conceeding 4 majors against errigal in the league game and with the return of the county men especially joey deployed a more defensive strategy but that i think was testament to the adaptability of their players and the quality on the sideline. you can only play to your strengths. omagh can play both ways and you have to be able to do both and win. omagh met eglish who were ultra defensive in the quarters dromore on a wet squally evening were the conditions and the physicality of the game made it look defensive. carrick more game was probably the most defensive from omagh all season but i think the stakes were that high it was a win at all costs mentality. i listened to mickey harte give a prematch interview to tg4 prior to the crossmaglen game advocating omagh couldnt win with a defensive mindset and had to be more attacking ironic or what. at no time did i see 14 men behind the ball in a omagh game this year. omagh are more fluid than tyrone and unfortunately i cant see mickeys now donegal lite strategy get tyrone anywhere come summer. teams will copy the market leaders in this case omagh and donegal but if you havent got the players especially footballers not just athletes then ultimately strategy counts for nothing.

tiempo

Quote from: ose 14 on March 14, 2015, 07:19:41 AM
firstly have to congratulate u on a very topical and timely question with the leagues not far away. re omagh my own club they actually started the season with flat out attack and went man for man against coalisland who deployed 2 men on ronan o neill in the first round. then after conceeding 4 majors against errigal in the league game and with the return of the county men especially joey deployed a more defensive strategy but that i think was testament to the adaptability of their players and the quality on the sideline. you can only play to your strengths. omagh can play both ways and you have to be able to do both and win. omagh met eglish who were ultra defensive in the quarters dromore on a wet squally evening were the conditions and the physicality of the game made it look defensive. carrick more game was probably the most defensive from omagh all season but i think the stakes were that high it was a win at all costs mentality. i listened to mickey harte give a prematch interview to tg4 prior to the crossmaglen game advocating omagh couldnt win with a defensive mindset and had to be more attacking ironic or what. at no time did i see 14 men behind the ball in a omagh game this year. omagh are more fluid than tyrone and unfortunately i cant see mickeys now donegal lite strategy get tyrone anywhere come summer. teams will copy the market leaders in this case omagh and donegal but if you havent got the players especially footballers not just athletes then ultimately strategy counts for nothing.

nice post, agree with what you saying about the irony of Mickey

50fiftyball

Can someone re-post the proposed/estimated club fixtures please? (Intermediate preferrably). I've lost the link on my phone and can't remember where it is on here.

Cheers.

WT4E

Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 19, 2015, 05:06:17 PM
Can someone re-post the proposed/estimated club fixtures please? (Intermediate preferrably). I've lost the link on my phone and can't remember where it is on here.

Cheers.

http://tyronegaa.ie/2015/03/donnelly-vauxhall-tyrone-acl-division-2-fixtures/

blewuporstuffed

Is it rounds 4&5 that are pencilled in for the double weekend at the May bank holiday?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quarterback

I think its time to introduce a bonus point system to club and county league fixtures.  Say for example if a team scores over a certain amount of points then they get a bonus point like the rugby.  You look at the rugby over the weekend and when the teams had to play and score points it meant for a better game.  The emphasis should be put on scoring - not defending.

skeog

bad enough teams throwing two points but throwing bonus points as well dont think thats the solution

everymanaman

Quote from: Quarterback on March 23, 2015, 08:08:21 AM
I think its time to introduce a bonus point system to club and county league fixtures.  Say for example if a team scores over a certain amount of points then they get a bonus point like the rugby.  You look at the rugby over the weekend and when the teams had to play and score points it meant for a better game.  The emphasis should be put on scoring - not defending.

Unbelievable, Jeff

oakleafgael

Any opinions on the Acadamh Thir Eoghain that is being launched? Is this an admission that the development squads run previously where a failure?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: oakleafgael on March 23, 2015, 12:58:06 PM
Any opinions on the Acadamh Thir Eoghain that is being launched? Is this an admission that the development squads run previously where a failure?

Failure might be too strong a word. However it could be a case that they see opportunites for improvement. I think a wee bit of complacency had set in, and I am delighted to see a different approach.

Heartened too by the decision that all players must arrive at training in Club gear to accentuate the importance of Club. It's not much but it's a good start.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Knock Yer Mucker In

And getting less senior club football isn't going to help develop U21 players either. 50% of clubs in our county out of the championship at the end of May, the same will happen this year. This also impacts on having meaningless league games. Some development system, meanwhile in Kerry they have junior and intermediate teams join to ensure they have more competitive senior football and more importantly more competitive games, yes that's right more games, why? because when you get more football you get more of your u21 players developing and some even make to intercounty level, even tho they haven't won much at minor level.