Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhailov

Quote from: Club boi on October 29, 2014, 07:45:52 PM
Omagh are 11/2 for a reason, how many poor bookmakers do you know?? They rarely get it wrong

Saying Cross arnt as big or physical as previous makes me laugh, have you seen them this year?? Omagh will be bullied out of it. Hanratty will run straight over the top of Omaghs midfield

I'd be more concerned about Omaghs "lack of game time" 1 Month to prepare, surely Clonoe arnt happy after last years turnaround!!!

Club Boi, yes I have seen Cross this year and indeed over the last 15 years on a regular basis and this team is not as physically imposing as previous teams. Of course they have big strong players but not all 15 and there are some fine players in the starting 15 now who wouldn't be classed as big or physical. They have no Francie Bellew, John Donaldson, twin McEntee type players of that size playing - yes Hanratty is big and strong but he is not even sure of his place despite the fact that I believe he is captain....

general_lee

Quote from: Mikhailov on October 30, 2014, 08:27:03 AM
Omagh are 11/2 for a reason, how many poor bookmakers do you know?? They rarely get it wrong

Saying Cross arnt as big or physical as previous makes me laugh, have you seen them this year?? Omagh will be bullied out of it. Hanratty will run straight over the top of Omaghs midfield

I'd be more concerned about Omaghs "lack of game time" 1 Month to prepare, surely Clonoe arnt happy after last years turnaround!!!

Club Boi, yes I have seen Cross this year and indeed over the last 15 years on a regular basis and this team is not as physically imposing as previous teams. Of course they have big strong players but not all 15 and there are some fine players in the starting 15 now who wouldn't be classed as big or physical. They have no Francie Bellew, John Donaldson, twin McEntee type players of that size playing - yes Hanratty is big and strong but he is not even sure of his place despite the fact that I believe he is captain....
I wouldn't say Cross are any less physically imposing, it's more to do with them being less reliant on the big brutes nowadays (they still have plenty of agricultural footballers among the ranks, you maybe just haven't been on the same field of play to see them up close.) Hanratty is a great example of this, he played second fiddle the other week v Armagh Harps midfield and based on that will be lucky to start v Omagh

This Cross side have a massive emphasis on fitness and are probably the best conditioned club team in Ireland. That said Omagh have the potential to cause the shock. Cross completely dismantled teams in Armagh, some of whom never stood a chance and others who may well be good enough but are just too naive and lacking in self-belief to even come close to beating them. Omagh will pose a more difficult challenge than anything Cross have faced so far in Armagh so it should be a good tussle.

The Trap

Omagh v Cross - Omagh can make life very difficult if they avoid getting blitzed at the start. Given the run they have had in Tyrone they should retain their belief if they can stay within 2/3 points with 15mins to go. Conversely Cross have had it easy up to now and are not as battle hardened this year (though they are over a 20 year period!!!!!). Omagh played very defensively in the County Final and i think that is their best chance. If they REALLY believe an upset could happen..........looking forward to attending this.

Clarkes v Warrenpoint - this has the makings of a cracker and i wish i could be in 2 places at once. The Clarkes were really impressive against Trillick and it will take a good side to beat them if they turn up like that again. Warrenpoint may be that team however. Like Truagh last year they seem to be a good standard senior team who have found themselves in the Intermediate championship. This one is 'all on the day' and the result could be a big indicator on how the Clarkes will fare in senior.....

Rock v Moneymore - Rock were not very impressive in either game against Derrytresk but maybe they were too familiar an opponent. With that monkey off the back they would be very much expected to be too good for Moneymore.

If all 3 teams made it through it would be an amazing day. Just a pity that 2 of them are not at the same venue!

God14

Omagh were very defensive in the County final, and their system is very effective. Making a decent start would be crucial tactically & also in terms of belief.
Hopefully they resist the temptation to switch Barry Tierney onto Jamie Clarke. Clarke no doubt needs special attention, but Omagh would loose attacking impetus from the half back line. Besides Killarney last year showed Tierney isn't the best man marker anyhow.

general_lee

Haven't seen Omagh this year but have seen all of Cross' games bar the shambles v Cruppen and Dromintee. I reckon the best way to stiffle them (easier said I know) is to set up defensively which should suit Omagh's system. They got it tight enough against Cullyhanna in the semi-final and only really pulled away in the last 5-10 mins, that was a Cullyhanna side missing 3 or more of their best players.

If Omagh can either slow the game right down from the start and dictate the pace, or else match Cross for intensity then they have the players to win. Both big asks but Omagh certainly have the players to do it.

Club boi

Quote from: The Beard on October 30, 2014, 02:11:23 AM

In the same way carmen and dromore were going to bully omagh? Would u be saying the same thing if either of those teams were playing. Lazy old stereotypcal analysis. And why would hanratty dominate against omaghs strongest area of the field with grugan and mcmahon?

Cross definite favourites and should win but not for silly lazy reasons put forward by club boi. Obviously hasnt seen tbis omagh team play.

I have seen All of Omaghs Championship games this year, and played against the majority of them. By all accounts they should've got beaten by Coalisland, Dromore and Carrickmore (2 late goals getting the wins) Hanratty will run over Either Mc Mahon in his way and Morgan will eat O'Neill. I really hope Omagh do play defensively with 13 men behind the ball as Cross will just push up and play with 13 forwards, and I know which set of forwards will score more on the day to win

Onthe40

"I have seen All of Omaghs Championship games this year, and played against the majority of them. By all accounts they should've got beaten by Coalisland, Dromore and Carrickmore "

Sure if you have saw all their games, why do you need any other accounts?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Club boi on October 30, 2014, 05:33:54 PM

In the same way carmen and dromore were going to bully omagh? Would u be saying the same thing if either of those teams were playing. Lazy old stereotypcal analysis. And why would hanratty dominate against omaghs strongest area of the field with grugan and mcmahon?

Cross definite favourites and should win but not for silly lazy reasons put forward by club boi. Obviously hasnt seen tbis omagh team play.

I have seen All of Omaghs Championship games this year, and played against the majority of them. By all accounts they should've got beaten by Coalisland, Dromore and Carrickmore (2 late goals getting the wins) Hanratty will run over Either Mc Mahon in his way and Morgan will eat O'Neill. I really hope Omagh do play defensively with 13 men behind the ball as Cross will just push up and play with 13 forwards, and I know which set of forwards will score more on the day to win

I think your vastly overrating Johnny Hanratty and massively under rating the McMahons here but sure everyone has an opinion. It will be tough for Omagh but the fact that they could have been beaten by the 3 teams mentioned yet still found a way to win, should point to a positive in Omaghs attitude this year, not a negative. Cross are a class team but Omagh have as good a chance as anyone in Ulster of stopping them and have good players who have plenty of big game experience. I wonder how Armagh Harps would get on in Tyrone club football?
That was never a square ball!!

Max Payne

Is this the same Hanratty who can't get a game for Armagh against Joe Mc Mahon triple all ireland winner and all star to boot? Big Joe is easily one of the most underrated players to have played with Tyrone. Class act

rrhf

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 30, 2014, 06:12:52 PM

I think your vastly overrating Johnny Hanratty and massively under rating the McMahons here but sure everyone has an opinion. It will be tough for Omagh but the fact that they could have been beaten by the 3 teams mentioned yet still found a way to win, should point to a positive in Omaghs attitude this year, not a negative. Cross are a class team but Omagh have as good a chance as anyone in Ulster of stopping them and have good players who have plenty of big game experience. I wonder how Armagh Harps would get on in Tyrone club football?
Johnny Hanratty will be chasing Joe Mc Mahon all day.   

everymanaman

Quote from: rrhf on October 30, 2014, 11:17:55 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 30, 2014, 06:12:52 PM

Johnny Hanratty will be chasing Joe Mc Mahon all day.
He'll not have to chase him very far. Joe will be sitting between the full back line and half back line

Mikhailov

Quote from: general_lee on October 30, 2014, 11:48:42 AM
Haven't seen Omagh this year but have seen all of Cross' games bar the shambles v Cruppen and Dromintee. I reckon the best way to stiffle them (easier said I know) is to set up defensively which should suit Omagh's system. They got it tight enough against Cullyhanna in the semi-final and only really pulled away in the last 5-10 mins, that was a Cullyhanna side missing 3 or more of their best players.

If Omagh can either slow the game right down from the start and dictate the pace, or else match Cross for intensity then they have the players to win. Both big asks but Omagh certainly have the players to do it.

General Lee - You say you seen all of Cross games except 2 so in fact you only seen 3 !!!. Reports would suggest that you are right regarding the Cullyhanna game as it was tight but surely that is one of the Cross qualities that they always seem to win tight games and dominate the crucial last 5-10 minutes go see them over the line - they have done this for years winning games by 0-3 points on a very regular basis. How many times have we heard of teams pushing Cross to the wire but not beating them. Cullyhanna were missing their 3 best players according to you but If I am not mistaken and I stand corrected are Cross not missing Aaron Cunningham, Stephen Kernan and Danny O Callaghan in various games (3 rite good players also). Personally I think Omagh will give Cross big problems (Hanratty is a powerful player but not mobile so I am not sure he will start) but Cross appear to have just that extra bit of quality and will see it done by 0-3 points. People on here are commenting on how fit and mobile Cross are, they are going to need that on Sunday as Healy park is a big pitch but still fancy them ...just

Up The Middle

I honestly cant see Omagh getting close to Cross. Omagh did well to win Tyrone, but to suggest they can get close to probably the best club team in Ulster after winning their first county title in 26 years is a bit of a stretch. If they fall behind at any stage they wont be allowed the opportunity to get back into the game. Cross are conditioned for Ulster club football, Omagh are in bonus territory and that will eventually be their downfall, Cross expect to win Ulster and All ireland titles. IMO you need to be winning your own club championship on a regular basis to be even close to a team like Cross ie Ballinderry, St Galls and Kilcoo.

One match up i will be looking forward too is Aaron Kernan vs Young Myler, two of the best engines i have seen on a football pitch. I know he is young but i feel Myler has a big future he will learn a lot from the best half back in Ireland on Sunday.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

GJL

Quote from: Up The Middle on October 31, 2014, 09:06:59 AM
I honestly cant see Omagh getting close to Cross. Omagh did well to win Tyrone, but to suggest they can get close to probably the best club team in Ulster after winning their first county title in 26 years is a bit of a stretch. If they fall behind at any stage they wont be allowed the opportunity to get back into the game. Cross are conditioned for Ulster club football, Omagh are in bonus territory and that will eventually be their downfall, Cross expect to win Ulster and All ireland titles. IMO you need to be winning your own club championship on a regular basis to be even close to a team like Cross ie Ballinderry, St Galls and Kilcoo.

One match up i will be looking forward too is Aaron Kernan vs Young Myler, two of the best engines i have seen on a football pitch. I know he is young but i feel Myler has a big future he will learn a lot from the best half back in Ireland on Sunday.

I agree. It took a last second goal for Omagh to get past Carmen in the final. If Carmen had of held on how many on here would be giving them a chance against Cross? I hope Omagh can pull off a shock but I can't see it.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Up The Middle on October 31, 2014, 09:06:59 AM

100% correct - AK is a machine. Is without a doubt the best half back in Ireland, a supreme footballer. Imagine him playing in the Dublin team - he would at least 0-5 every day out with a free role to attack, attack and then attack...