Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Family guy

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 12, 2011, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on October 12, 2011, 05:21:40 PM
A few months ago i was talking to a referee who had done a game the previous week and had been assessed.He issued 10 yellows and one red card and said it wasn't a dirty game but he felt under huge pressure to give out the cards.His assessor told him afterwards that he should have issued at least another 10 yellows and two more reds.
Sums up everything that is wrong with refereeing nowadays.
If this is a common case, then questions need to be asked more about the assessment procedures in the county, but without specifically knowing what should have merited those extra yellow and red cards that the assessor says should have been issued it's hard to say.

Why are you defending that ref so much are you him in disguise.Put yourself in mickey murphys shoes how do you think he must be feeling???Hes played for galbally from hes been ten years on age,also played for tyrone minors under 21s and seniors and has the chance to captain his club in a county final and will miss it now because of a bellends bad call,the lad was never sent off before and isnt a dirtp player,youd be doin some yapping if it was a fintona player was in his place

twenty one yard free

Quote from: Family guy on October 12, 2011, 08:55:53 PM
A few months ago i was talking to a referee who had done a game the previous week and had been assessed.He issued 10 yellows and one red card and said it wasn't a dirty game but he felt under huge pressure to give out the cards.His assessor told him afterwards that he should have issued at least another 10 yellows and two more reds.
If this is a common case, then questions need to be asked more about the assessment procedures in the county, but without specifically knowing what should have merited those extra yellow and red cards that the assessor says should have been issued it's hard to say.

Why are you defending that ref so much are you him in disguise.Put yourself in mickey murphys shoes how do you think he must be feeling???Hes played for galbally from hes been ten years on age,also played for tyrone minors under 21s and seniors and has the chance to captain his club in a county final and will miss it now because of a bellends bad call,the lad was never sent off before and isnt a dirtp player,youd be doin some yapping if it was a fintona player was in his place
can t remember murphy starting a senior c ship game for tyrone but i could be wrong

Milltown Row2

Look it is so difficult on a referee when they are being assessed, as has been said already, they will give more yellow cards than normal. Problem is that if that referee wants to aspire to bigger or better things then they have to keep the ass -essers happy.

I have refereed for a few years and couldn't give a stuff what the assessors say, I referee it as I see it and if they don't like it then grand, I try and referee it as I have wanted it refereed when I played, hard but fair. I did two finals this year, minor and under 16, so I'm doing something right :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: inthesystem on October 12, 2011, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 12, 2011, 05:21:50 PM
Inthesystem, I wasn't at the Galbally vs. Stewartstown so I can't comment myself on his performance for that game, but no one I have heard about gave him a positive review of his performance. My only point is that no one made any comment about his duties as a referee over the last few years until recently and there's too many gobshites in Tyrone football who give off about officiating all around (not just specific referees themselves) but do f**k all to give a constructive contribution themselves and would shit themselves if asked to do the whistle at an under 10 blitz.

Look I agree with what your saying and that 'without referees there'd be no games' etc etc. I appreciate that. But without managers, without coaches, without players there would be no games. Now when a team gets beat in a game, a player who played poorly gets dropped and chances are the manager and coach get the road for not delivering if its a big game.

Whay punishment does a referee get when he has a terrible game?? Hes out the next week again. Referees have to be accoutnable for their bad performances as well. But as i've said already, the county board are encouraging referees to issue yellows and reds and this really is killing the club game in Tyrone.

Well you can have games without coaches and managers. If a player packs it in a Club can call on someone from the sub bench to take their place.

However there isn't a long queue of refs willing to take over.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Family guy

You big up the fintona ref,thats about all yous have to look back on all year,for a player to put in the work at training and the gym and the sacrafices he made with his social life to be denied a chance to lead out his team who he has grown up with is just wrong,mc carron had a second chance at the disciplinary meeting when they watched the video but still maintained it was a straight red,just had to be controversial,guess it was his chance of looking about another game,i understand it sounds childish but just feel very bad for micky as i know the lad and know hes not that kinda player

Just_Browsing

Another thing is its not consistent across what happens at the highest level.  I was at the game - seen murphys challenge - IMO it was not much different to Diarmuid Connollys in the AI Semi-Final.  Connolly gets his red card over-turned but in this case the same is not applied.

nothingbettertobeat

Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 13, 2011, 07:56:15 AM
Another thing is its not consistent across what happens at the highest level.  I was at the game - seen murphys challenge - IMO opinion it was not much different to Diarmuid Connollys in the AI Semi-Final.  Connolly gets his red card over-turned but in this case the same is not applied.
just browsing your right it was similar to that of Connellys now when i cast my mind back.besides anything about the final the man made a hash of the semi it was as bad a refereeing performance as ive seen in all my time and ive taken numerous sides in my time and have a good repore with most referee's.But one that is clearly out for self gain and looking to make a name for himself ive no time for.Fionntamhnach wouldnt expect anything other from yourself other than to be contraversal sure thats what you's men up there do?right?..wasting our time talking to somebody like yourself as you clearly cant call a spade a spade and besides the point it wouldnt be that much of a deal to youself as yous would know more about a Mulhern cup up that way moreso than any O'Neill Cup!!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

blewuporstuffed

the worrying thing is, i have actually heard an assessor say regarding the mickey murphy incident, that the referee was correct to send him off.
If thats what is expected of refferees, that is the crux of the problem, not always the actual refferees themselves
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

clarshack

is it possible for clubs to get a copy of the assessors report for their relevant championship game? i'd say a lot of reports would make interesting reading.

clarshack

i dont like a having a go at referees as it is a difficult job but this wasnt mickey mcarron's only poor performance against us. he has refereed us 3 times in the last year and each game has been very controversial. in fact it actually feels like he has it in for us - though i'd say galbally are saying the same thing now too. at the time i thought mickey murphy's red was deserved but having seen it again a yellow would have sufficed. it should have been overturned.

btw i dont blame fionntamhnach for defending his club man - we would probably all do the same.

Family guy

Its true what you say about inconsisty as a killeeshil player got his red card over turned after a meeting,his was videoed and later overturned,the thing they said stood to him is he was never sent off before,the same as mickys then he doesnt get his overturned.Just out of interest is there any1 from kildress on the appeals committe??

clarshack

Quote from: Family guy on October 13, 2011, 12:11:10 PM
Its true what you say about inconsisty as a killeeshil player got his red card over turned after a meeting,his was videoed and later overturned,the thing they said stood to him is he was never sent off before,the same as mickys then he doesnt get his overturned.Just out of interest is there any1 from kildress on the appeals committe??

tbh i dont think it's particularly relevant if you have/havent been sent off before (well it is if you have been sent off in the past 48 weeks but you know what i mean). it's either a red card or its not.

i heard that the killeeshil player got off cause his opponent got up and started laughing. btw how did hub get off against gortin a couple of years ago?

wheres he takin er from

Folks, not a good way for wither team to be facing into a County final, but unless Murphy and Galbally lodge an official appeal then its done and dusted.

Whats the team news, prediction etc for two keenly contested finals this weekend?

I'm going for Galbally (with a point to prove and possibly better forwards) & Derrytresk (been mightily impressed this year with our neighbours who should have the whole support of the parish this weekend)
First on the field and last to leave

Family guy

The killeeshil player got his overturned because the aghaloo player that was invilved has a load of previous red cards and has been in bother a few times,nothing to do with him laughing.Dont know how hub got his overturned to be honest i cant remember it to be honest wasnt at the game but think i mind them saying it should stood.
I wonder would the county board have overturned murphys card if he had still been playing for tyrone and hadnt choose to leave the panel

aChairde

Quote from: wheres he takin er from on October 12, 2011, 05:13:06 PM
Quote from: inthesystem on October 12, 2011, 05:07:11 PM
McCarron was terrible in that semi final. Why he got a game of that importance is beyond me. However, the county board have to take the blame. Stephen McNamee is one of the best referees in the county but he was told that he aint gettin another championship game this year because he didnt give out enough yellow cards in the Galbally Rock game. This was probably one of the best games played in all the championships.

Ridiculous decision by county board, and I can understand Fintona trying to defend his club mate, but his performance was inexcusable. Gave Stewartstown nothing in the first 45 minutes then tried to even it up by giving them everything in last 15 when they were 9 points down. crazy, and when you have McConnell on the line as well, thats just a recipe for disaster.

McNamee refereed the Clonoe-Coalisland game in last years championship brilliantly (god know's i'd love to be able to blame the ref for that result) but apparently got ridiculously low assesment for not giving out enough yellow cards (when none were due). Reckon we're putting refs in an unfair position by slagging themoff when they do what they're told. County board need to rethink the assesment criteria to allow sensible refs like mcnamee to get bigger games

I strongly agree with your post, he did that game brilliantly and def think the assessment criteria and people involved in the process needs to be reviewed. 100% of the input at the min is from ex-refs (as far as I am aware), would it not be possible to involve ex-managers and ex-players as well.

I think the actual way an assessment is carried out should be known by all. If players, managers and most importantly current referees have a say in organising it and everyone knows what refs tolerate and what they dont then surely everyone will be happier, supporters included!!

Anyone else got practical suggestions on how we can actually help refs, better training etc???

I think then once a team is decided upon to assess the refs then the reports should not be open to public viewing. This is to try and take pressure away from refs as opposed to heaping more on