Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumper

SON informed MH in October of his decision to retire. Harte has spoken to Stephen on a 2 or 3 occasions since regarding this. I am lead to believe that SON's injury is not as bad as Harte was making out. He has given 10 years service to Tyrone and now wants to give his all to his club.

orangeman

longball

Stevie O'Neill Retirement- this doenst come as a shock to me at all. i heard back in november that a number of the tyrone players 7 i believe were very unhappy about training and the way things were going. Stevie was one of these players and was put forward as a spokes person to address this to management, whom refused to take this information on board. from them himself and MH have not seen eye to eye MH obviously thought that current training methods etc was more important than a forward like Stevie O'Neill.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

orangeman

Have the same training methods not yielded 2 AI titles or was it all down to the players ?
Don't forget the adulation received by MH after the 2 AI wins !!  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

longball

back in 2003 paddy tally was the trainer team were very fit and very sharp. after that the trainers were changed in 2005 tyrone played 10 games to win an all ireland the team got very fit and sharp from all these games without this ai doubt that tyrone would have been able to reach this peak. a number of players have been known to been unhappy with training for a long time if not change the management change the coaches!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

lisdoon1

UTV at 6.30 - Logey has an exclsuive interview with SON

sam03/05

sad to say it - but the current tyrone team is finished.
they have no scoring forward with canavan gone, oneill gone and mulligan failing to capture form.
it is the end of an era in my opinion.

never kickt a ball

Press Release
24 Jan 2008

The Tyrone County Board wish to confirm that Stephen O'Neill has taken the decision to retire from inter-county football.   
County senior team manager Mickey Harte was aware of Stephen's intention to retire since October but was hoping that when Stephen had fully recovered from his injury he would reconsider and return to the senior panel. County chairman Pat Darcy said tonight that 'Stephen was a wonderful player and a tremendous ambassador for the county both on and off the field over the past ten years. While we respect his decision to retire we are all very disappointed that his county career has ended so prematurely.'   On behalf of the Tyrone County Committee I would like to pay tribute to Stephen's many achievements in a county jersey and wish him a speedy recovery from injury and a successful continued playing career with his club side Clann na nGael.   

Damán Ó hAirmhí
Oifigeach Caidreamh Poiblí
http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=504

Aaron Boone

Quote from: sam03/05 on January 25, 2008, 08:58:58 PM
sad to say it - but the current tyrone team is finished.
they have no scoring forward with canavan gone, oneill gone and mulligan failing to capture form.
it is the end of an era in my opinion.

Young lad Shaun O'Neill at the mo could be brill. He's aged 20 or 21 and just as down to earth. He shoots on sight and no messing. When Stephen O'Neill won his 1st All-Star, he was then about 12 or 13.

Aaron Boone

[/quote]

Young lad Shaun O'Neill at the mo could be brill. He's aged 20 or 21 and just as down to earth. He shoots on sight and no messing. When Stephen O'Neill won his 1st All-Star, he was then about 12 or 13.
[/quote]

PS I meant when Stephen won his 1st, then Shaun was 12 or 13. Like back then, there are some outstanding youth still to come through in Tyrone. Mickey Harte could easily win a 3rd one this year. Down 1960/61 were 'finished' in the mid-sixties and they came back in 1968.

'

feetofflames

O neill shaun will come in there but Niall Mc Ginn is probably the only forawrd in Tyrone I believe capable of becoming a great.  Is he even on the under 21 panel?
Chief Wiggum

ONeill

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 25, 2008, 12:52:41 AM
No further updates or changes to be made lads?

Division 4

Aghaloo -
Brackaville -
Derrytresk -
Drumragh -
Newtownstewart -

The Hill are managed by Tony Quinn and Tony Hughes. I hear they have transferred a few fellas in from surrounding clubs (and some unsubstantiated figures as an incentive to win the JFC).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Scarlet

Lads just a question when was the last time Kildare played Tyrone in a competitive match.

None of us down here can remember!

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

endaman

Disappointing for Tyrone that Stevie has quit but no surprise. The real issue is the quality of training. There was a meeting and Harte was asked to change the trainer and he refused. Its a real shame but look at other counties and their trainers. Antrim managed by a PE teacher, Derry training by an experience athletica and fitness coach, Down trainer is Des Jennings an experienced fitnesss coach, Fermanagh - managed by a PE teacher, Armagh trainer Des Hollywood again an experienced coach, Cavan trained by Conal Sheridan a PE teacher, Donegal trained by Ryan Porter a sports Studies graduate, Monaghan trained by Martin McElkennon and Tyrone trainer by a primary school coach with no playing experience - NO wonder the training lacks intensity and is made up of primary school drills.

Another thing - Antrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal have Tyrone men managing or training them - yet we get a primary school coach with no experience. Paddy Tally again with a PE background is training st Marys. There needs to be a change - If we are not careful we could get a surprise with Down in June they are on a roll on confidence seems to be up. This could be another year lost.

But if Mickey Harte were to go in the moring who would replace him. Its all very well saying get rid of him - but would you want Liam Donnellly managing Tyrone or Monroe for that matter