Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amongthebushes

Any word on this weekends league fixtures?

Redhandfan

I have been at a fair few Tyrone County Finals but rarely have I seen a more complete performance than that given by Dromore yesterday.  They were hugely impressive from the word go.  They were simply first to every ball and, led brilliantly by the O'Neills in defence, completely snuffed out a much revered Fianna attack.  Their midfield of Mickey Garry and Shane McMahon lorded this sector from start to finish with Garry's fielding a major highlight of the match.  McCullagh orchestrated things well in attack but the star of the show was undoubtedly Shaun (Snowy) O'Neill at full forward who was supreme in getting out in front of his marker and kicking some great points from play.

Coalisland simply had no answer to Dromore's tight defence, physically imposing midfield and clinical attacking play.  Of course, the big question is: are Dromore really that good?  I did tip them to win the O'Neill Cup at the start of this year's championship but never thought they could play as well as they did yesterday.  We have had our run-ins with Dromore in the past and they would not be the most popular club in the county, but it is hard to begrudge them this county title.  They fully deserved it and I would love to see them give the Ulster Club Championship a good crack.  

As for Coalisland, their young team clearly froze on the day but I always feared for them against a much more physical Dromore side.  While their second half display against Donaghmore in the semi-final was outstanding, it should be remembered that they were also very poor in the first half that day.  I was amazed that they continued to play high ball into a fairly small and lightweight attack for most of yesterday's match and could not believe that no other defender was switched onto Dromore's Snowy O'Neill.  It will be interesting to see how Coalisland react to this final hammering....it could either make or break them as a team.  I suspect they will have learned much from the experience.

Redhandfan

Friday 19th October @ 8:00pm
@ Mid Ulster Sports Arena (under floodlights).

O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 1A
Cookstown v Coalisland*Senior game only.

Sunday 21st October @ 2:15pm (Reserve) & 3:45pm (Senior).

O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 1A & Reserve
Coalisland v Omagh
Errigal Ciarán v Killyclogher
Killeeshil v Galbally
Cookstown v Dromore
Ardboe v Donaghmore
An Charraig Mhór v Aghyaran

O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 1B & Reserve
Kildress v Loughmacrory
Dungannon v Gortin
Derrylaughan v Clann na nGael
Stewartstown v Trillick
Clonoe v Pomeroy
Edendork v Moy

O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 2 & Reserve
Aghaloo v Augher
Eskra v Fintona
Strabane v Urney
Greencastle v Drumquin
Moortown v Brockagh
Killyman v Eglish

O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 3 & Reserve
Newtownstewart v Beragh
Errigal Ciaran III v Brackaville *Senior game only @ 1:00pm.
Glenelly v Derrytresk *Senior game only.
Clogher v Dregish *Senior game only.
E R O'Neills v Rock
Castlederg v Tattyreagh

Wednesday 24th October @ 8:00pm
O'Neill's Sportswear Tyrone ACL Division 1A
Omagh v Dromore*Senior game only.

clarshack

on a different note to the county final i couldnt believe how little there was of the dungannon support on saturday evening. i know it was a saturday and people work and that both teams had nothing to play for but 10-15 supporters for a home game is very poor. is it always like this?

Redhandfan

Quote from: snappiered on October 15, 2007, 08:56:48 AM
We defeated Moy on Saturday evening with Phily Jordan carried off with what seem to be a hamstring pull. We also lost corner back John Gallagher to a serious shoulder injury. Big loss for us for the remainder of the season. Colly Cavanagh was outstanding in the middle of the field. If MH wanted to push Sean into the half forward line ive no doubt Colm could play in the middle.

Yes, it was a hamstring injury which forced Philly Jordan to go off early in the second half and we will have to do without him for our last two games away to Edendork and at home to Dungannon.  It's a pity as he has been in superb form for us since returning from county duty.  Colm Cavanagh has also been in excellent form of late and he has always played his best football at midfield - he certainly had a big game in that position last Saturday.  I was a bit surprised that Moy pushed Loughmacrory so close in this match.  We hadn't much to play for and were missing a number of key players.

Quote from: clarshack on October 15, 2007, 04:43:26 PM
on a different note to the county final i couldnt believe how little there was of the dungannon support on saturday evening. i know it was a saturday and people work and that both teams had nothing to play for but 10-15 supporters for a home game is very poor. is it always like this?

From my experience of Dungannon's home games, they have very poor support.  I know their team has not been going all that well in recent times but you would still expect a greater level of interest from a club with one of the largest population bases in the county.  What do the Gaels of Dungannon be doing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon that they cannot come out and support their local side?

orangeman

I think you are being a bit unfair to Dromore there Orangeman.

Dromore fully deserved their win as they were awesoe but my question was : are Dromore really 10 points a better side than Coalisland ? Are Kildress ( based on their performance against Dromore ) a better side than Coalisland ?

I'm not being critical or unfair - I'm just wondering are Coalisland and Dromore poles apart ?

Porky

Well done to Dromore very impressive victory. They can be a serious force in Ulster if they can stay focused.
However on a negative note the organisation of the speeches, music, dancing etc was a joke!!
The break between the minor game and the senior game was far too long. The speeches etc seemed to go on forever!!
The kids playing the mini games didn't even get a mention until long after they had left the pitch by announcers who wouldn't shut up the rest of the day.  
Also those non stop annoying announcements about cars etc should be stopped at Healy Park when the game is in progress.
Maybe it was fitting in some ways that at our showpiece club football event we should get a clear example of the shambolic organisation that has blighted the organisation of adult club football by the CCC for the past couple of years.
Big changes need in Administration by County Board I believe!!

orangeman

Big changes needed in administration in the county board ? No way !!!!!!!!

tyrone86

Quote from: Porky on October 15, 2007, 05:08:55 PM
Well done to Dromore very impressive victory. They can be a serious force in Ulster if they can stay focused.
However on a negative note the organisation of the speeches, music, dancing etc was a joke!!
The break between the minor game and the senior game was far too long. The speeches etc seemed to go on forever!!
The kids playing the mini games didn't even get a mention until long after they had left the pitch by announcers who wouldn't shut up the rest of the day.  
Also those non stop annoying announcements about cars etc should be stopped at Healy Park when the game is in progress.
Maybe it was fitting in some ways that at our showpiece club football event we should get a clear example of the shambolic organisation that has blighted the organisation of adult club football by the CCC for the past couple of years.

Some fair enough points but it wasn't as bad as that. I've nothing to do with the county board, but as far as I'm aware, the reason for the gap was to allow for the official opening of the new facilities Healy Park. I don't think it was unreasonable of the county board to do this on the biggest day of the club footballing year, even if it prolonged the day by half an hour.

As for announcements about cars blocking exits / lost children etc etc, how else are you going to communicate that to 12,000 odd people. You'd been giving off a bigger stink if your car was locked in the graveyard car park.

How you can compare fixture problems and logistical balls ups is like comparing golf balls and speed boats.

Redhandfan

Quote from: Porky on October 15, 2007, 05:08:55 PM

I agree that the pre-match formalities and entertainment turned into a bit of a shambles but they do deserve some credit for trying!  It is important to promote the other aspects of the GAA such as the Scor and the Underage Mini-Games but I think the County Board tried to do too much yesterday.  The official opening of the new Watchtower took too long and there were probably one too many presentations made on the field of play.  It was only right to honour the Augher SFC champions from 25 years ago and it was a nice touch presenting the surviving members of the 1946 Final between Dromore and Coalisland.  However, the Omagh club presentations are sometimes unnecessary while the speeches for the official opening should have been cut short.  There was far too long a break between the minor and senior matches....many people got a bit fed up.  I left Moy yesterday at 1.00pm to catch the start of the minor game and, on leaving immediately after the senior match, did not get home until 7.00pm.

Can someone please tell me what exactly are the advantages of this new watchtower at Healy Park?  Personally speaking, I would much prefer to have seen a second covered stand erected at that side of the ground.  Whatever about all the new security, there were a lot of spectators who paid their £10 and got very wet (thankfully, I was not one of them!)  By the way, I was told there was no rain at all yesterday in the Moy!  Why is the weather always worse up around Omagh and that part of Tyrone?

tyrone86

Quote from: orangeman on October 15, 2007, 05:16:50 PM
Big changes needed in administration in the county board ? No way !!!!!!!!

For example? Who should be gone, who should be in?

orangeman

86 - You don't agree that fixtures are generally a shambles ?

na cleirigh

unfortunatley 10-15 home supporters is the norm for the clarkes. for a town the size it is, there are very few clarkes people. would'nt have the support base  of a small division 3 club.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

Abble

Firstly well done to Dromore there yday. It was awesome to say the least.

well i've attended most fianna games this year and their performance on sunday was easily the worst they played. it was a mix of a few things - dromore game in itself, how they were able to stop fianna play, hunger (ie hunger after a county loss being different to the hunger of a team less experienced).

in some league games fianna did like to let a team get a bit of a lead on them and then rally back to win....some games closer than others. but one game in particular was the away game to dromore where they went 10 behind only to make a 10pt comeback. a lot of these games however some sides taking the field were experimental of course plus certain players are on holiday or injured, etc, but if any league game stood out it was that one and for sunday, coalisland in no way underestimated their opponents or were thinking anything about names on cups and ulsters, they knew they'd be in a game.

so for a few (and its only a few, anyone with sense can see past the windup merchants) people to be slagging coalisland players or supporters is unfair...i mean the lads who worked their bollox of all year and those supporters who were at games week in week out. not everyone has to be tarnished with the same brush. everyone working in or around the team and the regular supporters knew it was going to take a gallant effort to overcome dromore.

From what i seen throughout the year every player involved can hold their head high, they'll be sick for a while at how they underperformed, they did watch the dromore celebrations with a lot of dignity and hurt BUT they will lift that cup soon. people who know anything about football would know that.

next to dromore lifting the championship now i'd love to see coalisland get something out of this year so it's important they lift the heads up again v soon and keep going at the league. GOOD LUCK FIANNA.  

tyrone86

Quote from: orangeman on October 15, 2007, 05:47:35 PM
86 - You don't agree that fixtures are generally a shambles ?

I can understand that Ardboe are still sore after the reserve final fiasco and that's fair enough, that was a ridiculous decision. However, I don't think the fixtures have been too bad in general this year, consistency was the one major problem. Every club can have something to cry about when it comes to fixtures this year but that's the GAA for you. Every club will try and manipulate the system to their advantage if they've got men missing. It's happened all year, and you can be certain that it will happen with Railway cup men and for a plethora of other excuses for the rest of this year. I think now that the starred game system has been consigned to the dustbin where it belongs you'll that things will run a whole lot smoother. Fair enough, you'll still be playing until Halloween but it will allow the fixtures for the year to be mapped out from start to finish with no postponements.