Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man Marker

Got this from teamtalkmag.com

Pundits Go For Dromore But All Expect A Tight Game

Well the weekend is almost upon us and the destiny of the 2011 championship should be decided on Sunday evening. Last weekend we were treated to two very competitive and highly entertaining finals in the Intermediate and Junior deciders and in both contests our forecasters appeared to get it right. This weekend we have sought the views and opinions of players, officials and mentors of all the other Division One teams who are casting an envious eye in the direction of Clonoe and Dromore as they prepare to lock horns in Sunday's final. The responses were both interesting and informative and are well worth reading but how accurate, or relevant, will they be when referee Eamon Mc Hugh sounds the final whistle on Sunday evening.

Plunkett Mc Callan (Carrickmore): Clonoe
Having seen both teams up close I think Clonoe are just a bit better all round team so I will go with them. 1-0 Clonoe

Peter Canavan (Errigal Ciaran) : Draw
I know it sounds a bit like sitting on the fence but they are two very well matched sides who are both physically strong and who know each other very well. I think it might take another game to separate them. 1-0 Clonoe 1 draw.

Conor O'Donnell (Omagh): Dromore
They are very experienced with leaders throughout the team and are coming good at just the right time. 1-1 and 1 draw.

Damien O'Hagan (Coalisland) : Clonoe
They are a big strong physical side who are very well disciplined and have the experience of beating Dromore at this stage already. 2-1 Clonoe 1 draw.

Brendan Donnelly (Eglish) : Clonoe
I just think that overall they have a better set of forwards and that could well decide the game. 3-1 Clonoe 1 draw.

Liam Donnelly (Trillick) : Clonoe
Dromore were hugely impressive against Omagh but I can't see them getting the same amount of space against Clonoe. The O'Rahillys are much better organised than any of the teams Dromore have faced so far. It will be tight but I am going for Clonoe by a narrow margin. 4-1 Clonoe. 1 draw.

Sean Teague (Greencastle): Dromore
I tipped them from early in the season because of how well their forwards work together as a unit. 4-2 Clonoe. 1 Draw.

Philip Jordan (Moy): Dromore
On a county final day space and scores will be at a premium and players like Colm Mc Cullagh and Eoin Mc Cusker have the experience to make the difference. 4-3 Clonoe. 1 draw.

PJ Quinn (Moortown): Dromore
Based on what I have seen of the two teams this year I think Dromore look like the team with the better all round balance. 4-4. 1 draw.

Adrian Cush (Donaghmore): Dromore
If you had asked me two weeks ago I probably would have gone for Clonoe but with players like Mc Cullagh and Mc Cusker who are capable of scoring 5 or 6 points each and the likelihood of a tight game, that could well make the difference. 5-4 Dromore. 1 draw.

Adrian Gilmore (Cookstown): Clonoe
I liked what I saw of them from early in the year. They have a great intensity about them and the two tough games against Carrickmore will stand to them. 5-5. 1 draw.

Kieran Howe (Killyclogher): Dromore
It is a very hard game to call but Dromore might have that extra wee bit of hunger and that could decide it in the end. 6-5 Dromore.1 draw.

Thomas Quinn (Derrylaughan): Dromore
While I would be more than happy to see my neighbours Clonoe win the title I think Dromore's more direct forward play might prove the difference. Eoin Mc Cusker will be a key man and if he plays well I think Dromore will prevail. 7-5 Dromore with one draw.

Micky Donnelly (Ardboe): Dromore
It will be a very close game but Dromore have a bit more quality in key areas plus the 2008 factor and wanting to do it for guys like Micky Garry, a huge presence for Dromore in the past, might just make the difference. 8-5 Dromore with one draw.

Well the pundits have gone for Dromore on a score of 8-5 with one draw. They were right last week with how they called the games so it will be interesting to see if they can maintain their level of performance and make it three out of three. But just to be on the safe side we decided to ask two other guys from opposite ends of the county for their completely impartial views without counting them in our survey, and add them to the article for further debate.

Benny Hurl (Ardboe): Clonoe and Dromore have both been very impressive all season throughout the league and you could have foreseen that both of these sides would be contesting the latter stages of the league and championship given their consistency of performance throughout the year.

Ardboe could rightly argue that they should have had Dromore out of the competition in the quarter final and could well be sitting in the final ourselves which would have been an intriguing contest. But Dromore rode their luck that night, got the rub of the green and a replay, won it and haven't looked back since.

Much will be made of the tactical battle and most people are expecting an epic encounter. We might be disappointed as it could be a very defensive affair but both teams can attack as well with very impressive forwards on both sides, as was seen in both of the semi finals.

Much as I'd love to see the local team win another title, I just have a feeling that Dromore will this game as they seem to have the perfect blend at the minute. Dromore will feel that they owe Clonoe one from 2008 but Clonoe will want to show that they can repeat the heroics of that year and under Damian Cassidy there's no reason why they can't. But Dromore have a top class manager themselves in Paul Mc Iver. Paul's pedigree is top drawer and I am going for Dromore to shade this contest.

Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher): They are two very good sides and although Clonoe have looked very consistent in all their games Dromore's performance against Omagh was the best team performance in this year's championship. They showed all their craft and guile and with Ricey driving them on they looked to be back to their best. He looks more than keen to get his hands on another county medal and with Colm Mc Cullagh and Eoin Mc Cusker both in good form I will have to give them the nod but by a very small margin.

rrhf

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: rrhf on October 21, 2011, 01:13:24 PM
Good man Benny.  :)

Never would of thought Benny would have been a man to take the boo whhooss!  :D :D

rrhf

"more than happy," "love to see" Do I detect a big east Tyrone love-in going on - them boys are some craic. 

Club Rossa

C'MON THE EAST!!!
Looking forward to the big game.Will be a wet sod on Sunday,similar to 2008 when they last met and i would anticipate the same kind of game too.The sides are well matched and scores will be hard to come by.Clonoe by 1.

rrhf

I must admit I like the Dromore club and think they are slight favourites for this game.  But Im supporting the rahillys on this one.  Great club, cracking players and I predict a close fierce fought for game no ifs or butts. 

Radda bout yeee

I'm only totally sobered up! SO heres my tupence:

Kildress put in a great performance to take the intermediate title. Terry Donnelly getting the line made it a bit easier but i think the tones would have won a closer affair had he stayed on.
I have been talking to a few neutrals who reckon it was the best game of football to watch this year - credit to both teams for this. It will keep those people quiet out there who predicted a dour durty affair between the two sides!
Score of the game has to go to Mickey Murphy - Not a defence in ireland could of stopped it - best goal i've seen in club football.

Also on a side note fair play to the horse devlin for taking the tones when we couldn't get a manager! Tiffy & Brian Neill left us in the lurch saying the team was going nowhere and that we wouldn't even field a reserve team - Hi Ribsy we're in the reserve championship final - NOT BAD!!!

Rant over - i'm away on the drink again!  ;D

EC Unique

Can confirm that PTG is indeed standing down as manager of Errigal Ciaran. Good luck to him in what ever he moves on to.  The search will now start for his replacement. He will see out the remaining league games with us starting (and maybe finishing :D) this afternoon in Carrickmore.

With regards to the county final tomorrow I could not care less who wins but I thik Dromore will have just enough. Dromore by 2 points.

skeog

tyrone gaa officials have obviously not heard about the downturn in employment as they have the gall to be charging 12 pound into the stand i believe the admission to the derry final was only 8 pound big difference has anyone any views on this

rrhf

Very steep, and the stand will be packed. Regardless of price though Im really looking forward to this game.  Was watching the Ardboe Dromore final there, and Clithero had an outsatnding last few minutes.  The ardboe boys mightnt admit it but he made the right calls fairly and honestly.     

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Carmen v Errigal game switched to Pomeroy at 4pm.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Carmen Stateside

carmenabu

skeog

final could be some time as whoever wins tomorrow will have to play in ulster club over next couple of weeks

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 22, 2011, 05:15:32 PM
Any word from Pomeroy?

Finished 12-9. Atrocious weather. Errigal finished with 14.

Will be a late final whenever it is. These playoffs are well past their sell by date IMO.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken