Serious contenders for Liam

Started by youngfella, April 20, 2009, 01:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

I'd have offaly-dublin and wexford pretty close to be honest. Until we beat either in the championship we won't be ahead of them. But i think playing in div2 won't help either this year. I dunno about Limerick I wouldn't rate them as high as Zulu. Clare are big and physical but that style won't suit them against a fast team on a big pitch.
Kilkenny are miles ahead- I think Tipp will beat Cork being honest about it. Galway are the enigma. I think Waterford are similar to Cork- on their way back. Its really only Tipp who can give the cats a game.

Oakleafer93

Dublin will cause an upset this year has any other team ran Kilkenny as close recently?

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on April 20, 2009, 12:04:29 PM
I'd have offaly-dublin and wexford pretty close to be honest. Until we beat either in the championship we won't be ahead of them. But i think playing in div2 won't help either this year. I dunno about Limerick I wouldn't rate them as high as Zulu. Clare are big and physical but that style won't suit them against a fast team on a big pitch.
Kilkenny are miles ahead- I think Tipp will beat Cork being honest about it. Galway are the enigma. I think Waterford are similar to Cork- on their way back. Its really only Tipp who can give the cats a game.

I agree 100% - making big strides in Div 1 in the league is fantastic for the players themselves and gives a pointer that we're heading in the right direction but until we start  beating 'top 8' counties  in the summer we can't be be classed as described by the OP

Son_of_Sam

Roscommon are NOT better than Mayo  ;D

longrunsthefox

Would Galway not be up near level of Tipp? I think so

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on April 23, 2009, 02:38:56 PM
Roscommon are NOT better than Mayo  ;D

I'd imagine so. Roscommon aren't even in contion for the Liam McCarthy cup!!

PS longrunsthefox, I wouldn't have Galway near Tipp at all.

Then again,I'm from Mayo and I don't really know much about hurling!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Canalman

Imo a straight battle between Tipperary and Kilkenny. Galway, Waterford and Cork all off the pace imo.

From a Dublin perspective, I will be disgusted if we don't reach the 1/4 finals. Ro Fallon's injury is a big worry for us as is the ropey form of our 2 keepers.

Kilkenny's dominance will not last forever and I feel that their "fall" could be very sudden......2010 I think. Hunger, desire and age will lead to demise imho. Tipperary the best to pounce I think.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 23, 2009, 02:41:40 PM
Would Galway not be up near level of Tipp? I think so

Well I'd have Tipp ahead but we are not a million miles behind them on any given day. Nearly every time we've played them in recent years there's only been a point or two in it.

I wouldn't put Tipp up at Kilkenny's level though. Right now they look a bit more settled than anyone else but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone like Waterford, Galway or Cork beat them on a given day during the Summer. Maybe not Cork this year as their preparation has been pretty woeful to say the least.

Zulu

Waterford will be strong contenders this year IMO, lets leave out Kilkenny for the moment, Waterford were in last years AI and they have a few decent players coming through and all their main players from the past 3 or 4 years are still there so I wouldn't write them off just yet. If they get rid of Davey they'll be a force for the next few years, I think that man is all bluster.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on April 23, 2009, 03:52:03 PM
Waterford will be strong contenders this year IMO, lets leave out Kilkenny for the moment, Waterford were in last years AI and they have a few decent players coming through and all their main players from the past 3 or 4 years are still there so I wouldn't write them off just yet. If they get rid of Davey they'll be a force for the next few years, I think that man is all bluster.

Not sure about Waterford. I think their boat has sailed to be honest. Their top players are all another year older. Paul Flynn gone, Dan Shanahan is 32, Ken McGrath 31, etc. That said after Kilkenny it's wide open. They could well make the semi-finals or final even if things go their way.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 20, 2009, 10:56:52 AM
Quote from: youngfella on April 20, 2009, 01:22:21 AM
Who do you rate as contenders for Liam and in what order. My opinion based on current form:

Front Runner
Kilkenny

Realistic Chasers
Tipp
Waterford
Dublin

Still a bit to do
Offaly
Cork
Galway
Clare
Wexford   
Limerick

Wont make an impact but might case an upset

Antrim
Roscommon
Down
Westmeath

Not next nor near it
New York
The rest no disrepect

By the way this is my opinion on how I think things stand, so no personal attacks please. Also please give your own giving the above format if you wish. Yes i have robbed the idea on oakleafer, thanks. 

You could have least put Laois into the Not next nor near it section we are still involved ya know!

Have ye a ref?
MWWSI 2017