The Official Derry City FC thread

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 19, 2009, 11:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 12:28:50 PM

Any chance of some sanctions for the match fixing at the weekend?

Tell me more....

dublinfella

Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2009, 12:29:03 PM

Does anyone remember Comical Ali?

Its a legitimate point. How many clubs in England are either in or near administration?

Its too easy to bash the LoI, but the league itself is run very well. They punch welll above their weight in Europe against teams that have multiples of their budgets. Some clubs still have tulips in charge like Cork, but systemically, they are no better or worse off than any other league.

dublinfella

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 10, 2009, 12:30:26 PM
[I would suggest that the emboldened bit is somewhat exagerrated. Either that or you haven't watched much sport.

In terms of a systemic policy within a club to defraud the taxman and lie to the association they were in so as to get around the 65% protocol, I can't think of much worse in team sport. Possibly Marseille and Juve doping players against their knowledge. Its naked cheating and involved hundreds of individuals over a course of years. Hence they have been told to whistle for their prizemoney.

saffron sam2

Thanks for clearing that up. I missed the word team in your original post.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

mountainboii

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 01:08:00 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 12:28:50 PM

Any chance of some sanctions for the match fixing at the weekend?

Tell me more....

Dundalk were as much as 4-1 to beat Derry with some bookies before kick off, which is nonsense considering they were at home and Derry hadn't been in great form of late. Bookies then stopped taking bets on a Derry win with money piling in even after they went one nil down. There have been rumours too about the frequency with which Dundalk players have been getting sent off this last while. 19 in total this season, must be some sort of record.

This is following on from betting being suspended on the Dundalk Galway game a few weeks back.

Of course, there could be perfectly reasonable explanations for all this.

dublinfella

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 01:44:40 PM

Dundalk were as much as 4-1 to beat Derry with some bookies before kick off, which is nonsense considering they were at home and Derry hadn't been in great form of late. Bookies then stopped taking bets on a Derry win with money piling in even after they went one nil down. There have been rumours too about the frequency with which Dundalk players have been getting sent off this last while. 19 in total this season, must be some sort of record.

This is following on from betting being suspended on the Dundalk Galway game a few weeks back.

Wth respect, you are way offside claiming matchfixing here. Thats exceptionally bad form.

Dundalk were 4/1 against and people saw value. So what? Happens all the time. Bookies mispricing and then pulling the in game betting is quite frequent.

Have the bookies claimed anything untowords? If not, why are you?

mountainboii

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 01:49:52 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 01:44:40 PM

Wth respect, you are way offside claiming matchfixing here. Thats exceptionally bad form.

Dundalk were 4/1 against and people saw value. So what? Happens all the time. Bookies mispricing and then pulling the in game betting is quite frequent.

Have the bookies claimed anything untowords? If not, why are you?

Expected a reply like this. Yes, it was probably just those silly bookies mispricing the game. How's the sand?

dublinfella

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 01:59:53 PM

Expected a reply like this. Yes, it was probably just those silly bookies mispricing the game. How's the sand?

Hold on - you are alledging matchfixing. Thats a very dangerous game to play on a public internet forum.

I did a quick google and none of the bookies have made any statement on this. Where did you even hear they suspended ingame betting? Which bookies?

Your theory would only make sense if Dundalk won at wild odds - people lumped on short odds of a Derry win when they were winning? Where is the conspiracy?

mountainboii

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 02:04:00 PM

Hold on - you are alledging matchfixing. Thats a very dangerous game to play on a public internet forum.

I did a quick google and none of the bookies have made any statement on this. Where did you even hear they suspended ingame betting? Which bookies?

Your theory would only make sense if Dundalk won at wild odds - people lumped on short odds of a Derry win when they were winning? Where is the conspiracy?

Its all rumours, I can't substantiate anything and neither can anyone else I suspect.

You're right though, it was a silly thing to say without proof so I'll retract any allegations of match fixing and simply state that I heard, before and after the game, from several sources, including this board, that Derry were certs to win. Take from that what you will.

dublinfella

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 02:20:39 PM

Its all rumours, I can't substantiate anything and neither can anyone else I suspect.

You're right though, it was a silly thing to say without proof so I'll retract any allegations of match fixing and simply state that I heard, before and after the game, from several sources, including this board, that Derry were certs to win. Take from that what you will.

I take from that that they did win, so your sources stated the bleedin' obvious....

saffron sam2

Quote from: AFS on November 10, 2009, 02:20:39 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 02:04:00 PM

I would tend to agree with dublinfella. I wouldn't think the Dundalk game was fixed.

In fairness, it is more likely to be insider information than match fixing. For example, last year two of our students (aged 16 and 17) were selected to play for a high profile Irish League team in a CIS Cup match at their home ground. The opposition were a division lower and hence a decent price (6/1 ish). Because we knew the team would be well short we had a fair idea that the away team were a good bet. A few had a bet; one other walked into his local bookies and told the bookie what he knew.

Although things like time of first throw in etc. are much easier to fix.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

dublinfella

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 10, 2009, 02:31:47 PM

I would tend to agree with dublinfella. I wouldn't think the Dundalk game was fixed.

In fairness, it is more likely to be insider information than match fixing. For example, last year two of our students (aged 16 and 17) were selected to play for a high profile Irish League team in a CIS Cup match at their home ground. The opposition were a division lower and hence a decent price (6/1 ish). Because we knew the team would be well short we had a fair idea that the away team were a good bet. A few had a bet; one other walked into his local bookies and told the bookie what he knew.

Although things like time of first throw in etc. are much easier to fix.

I would go even further than that - the clear bookies favourites won. If there was a fix, it would have been Dundalk at 4/1, not Derry at 1/4.

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 01:10:23 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2009, 12:29:03 PM

Does anyone remember Comical Ali?

Its a legitimate point. How many clubs in England are either in or near administration?

Its too easy to bash the LoI, but the league itself is run very well. They punch welll above their weight in Europe against teams that have multiples of their budgets. Some clubs still have tulips in charge like Cork, but systemically, they are no better or worse off than any other league.

How many clubs are fully professional now?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on November 10, 2009, 02:52:08 PM

How many clubs are fully professional now?

Not sure, Bohs, Rovers, Derry, Cork, Sligo, Galway, Dundalk & Fingal off the top of my head.

Basically the top teams in the league table plus one in the first, which is why they are working so hard to keep it full time.

Norf Tyrone

Surely Dundalk were 4-1 as they had f**kl all to play for, and Derry were favourites as they were going for Europe?

Anyhow I am still stunned by West Ham being a billion in debt. Zola's a ledge but what are they paying him? Is Jack Collinson on £200,000 a week???
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone