Soccer is boring

Started by Orior, April 19, 2009, 10:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Ah now Ziggy sure he doesn't have a manly neck so he's no good to me at all!  :P

maggie

Wouldn't say i think it is boring, have been to a few matches and always enjoyed it and that most recent Liverpool V Chelsea Champions League game was highly entertaining.
Now cricket on the other hand, snoozeville.

supersub

soccer isnt boring, ur just comparing it to gaa which is much faster. obviously you are going to have more scores in gaelic because u have more than one option to go for to score ie goals and points!

ziggysego

I can't sleep tonight :'( Any soccer matches on TV? Might help me sleep.
Testing Accessibility

mrsandman

Quote from: ziggysego on April 20, 2009, 03:17:00 AM
I can't sleep tonight :'( Any soccer matches on TV? Might help me sleep.

Id say if you tell yourself a few more of them wee jokes or yours, you wouldn't be long in dosing off  ;)
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Galwaybhoy

It can be boring alright, though Gaelic Football can often put me to sleep as well.  Theres a lot better sports out there than soccer.

whiskeysteve

Soccer IS boring.

I dont mind the latter stages of the champions league or maybe the knockout stages at the World Cup. But watching your average mid-table clash? Away te f**k.

Most importantly, lacks the HONESTY (in every sense) of its lesser paid counterparts, GAA and rugby.

Lasts 90 MINUTES (or more!) and has LESS SCORES.

There are THOUSANDS of games every season so games live short in the memory.

The game is ridden with divers, cheats and mediocre players on OBSCENE money.

Conversely, the game is a RIP-OFF to supporters (tickets, shirts, etc).

Many players have little LOYALTY to clubs, fans, managers, whatever part of the world they're in or each other.

The owners of the clubs have no LOYALTY and being a soccer man is a low priority.

In no other sport are there so many OBNOXIOUS fans, i.e. the game is quite frankly ridden with SCUM

In summary, the game has little RESPECT and as such is not deserving of RESPECT. In this day and age it functions primarily as a business anyway. Money > Entertainment > Loyalty.

A giant con of a sport.

Tripe.

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

SidelineKick

The only way to make soccer interesting - put a bet on the match.  You could watch anybody play if you have money on it.

I find it quite boring but my main frustration lies with the "men" lying down at every opportunity, holding their legs, agony on the faces only to get up a few seconds later and "limp" about for a while before miraculously returning to full health.  Bring back Vinnie Jones, Julian Dicks and Neil Ruddock.  f**king poofs the lot of them.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

theskull1

Agree. The marketing guru's must have some serious subliminal tricks up their sleeves to make so many people see it as entertainment, especially if it's not your local team.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

The thing about soccer is you don't need to watch it for the entire game. I've often seen "fans" in the pub with their back to the TV who just turn around when someone goes oooooooo. If you did this in Gaelic or Rugby you'd have a sore neck.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Mario

Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 20, 2009, 11:05:31 AM
Soccer IS boring.

I dont mind the latter stages of the champions league or maybe the knockout stages at the World Cup. But watching your average mid-table clash? Away te f**k. For me unless watching your county, watching the average NFL clash except the top teams can be equally boring

Most importantly, lacks the HONESTY (in every sense) of its lesser paid counterparts, GAA and rugby. GAA and Rugby has it primadonnas, in general you are not going to be a top level athlete unless you have the commitment and honesty to get to the top. Sure there is a bit of diving, but there is plenty of cheating in the GAA, why is a dive anymore of a cheat than a corner back pulling someones jersey, or the umpire at the local club match waving a tight call of a point wide when it is a score, or Aidan O'Mahony last year etc etc..

Lasts 90 MINUTES (or more!) and has LESS SCORES. This means a score means much more and gives a greater 'buzz'

There are THOUSANDS of games every season so games live short in the memory. Usually you would only be a fan of one team in a certain division so i dont see the problem of thousands of games, this just indicates the world wide popularity of the sport

The game is ridden with divers, cheats and mediocre players on OBSCENE money. Believe me there is no mediocre players in the premiership, its basic economics is the reason they are so high paid, Demand and supply, very few players can play at that level and everybody wants to see them, this equals big wages, same in any line of work. The best player in your local town probably wouldnt have a chance at getting near a premier league team the level is that high. We all think GAA players are extremely talented, if the whole world played gaa the last 120 years, the likely hood is sean cavanagh for example would be rated as highly as robbie keane in the world game, robbie keane prob wouldnt be in the best 100 players in the world

Conversely, the game is a RIP-OFF to supporters (tickets, shirts, etc). This is only true at the very highest level were everyone wants to see games, hence the high prices.

Many players have little LOYALTY to clubs, fans, managers, whatever part of the world they're in or each other. This is true, though plenty of players do have loyalty.

The owners of the clubs have no LOYALTY and being a soccer man is a low priority.Again only at the very highest level this could be true.

In no other sport are there so many OBNOXIOUS fans, i.e. the game is quite frankly ridden with SCUM I agree they could learn from the gaa here

In summary, the game has little RESPECT and as such is not deserving of RESPECT. In this day and age it functions primarily as a business anyway. Money > Entertainment > Loyalty. In my eyes the money just adds to the prestige of the game, the coverage and hype of say a champions league final or world cup final makes it an unbelieveable stage for a footballer, imagine a billion people watching you play.

A giant con of a sport.Agreed

Tripe.

rrhf

Just on the Robbie keane points,  seriously I accept theres some talented individuals playing all sports but when Robbie Keane retires and says to kids in the pub in 40 years time I captained the free state, its going to sound mightily  impressive.  They will never realise how big a bluffa like Duffa he really was.  The fact he captained the free state for years could make anyone have a serious error of judgement and believe that in some way he merited it or earned it and him just a bluffa like duffa.  In Gaelic football you earn respect, in soccor you get paid to bluff.  I think that at best there should be one combined thread  called the soccor thread or indeed the "minority sports" thread, some eejit is talking of abillion people watching the champions league final, does that person believe that, for real? When did you last really intensely watch a soccor game on TV especially in a pub and really do more than glance at the screen outside the goals and another thing, when you have Andy gray taking 2 hours to review 90 minutes of a nil nil you know they've fooled you again after fooling you for an hour and a half.  Wasnt there a thing a couple of years ago on sky called box office which felt that people would be prepared to pay per view for "box office" games - the people soon realised the con and they didnt buy.  Those who sold soccor as life and death, as culture to us, caught most of us for a while but the emperor now parades naked  and we all laugh, l only a few irish still get conned.  As for the ongoing evolution of football I can see the future whereby an international game 13 a side can be played on the reduced pitchs of old bankrupt soccor clubs facilites bought for a song by the GAA to facilitate the games people like.            

Maiden1

My wife supports Spurs, nothing worse than flicking to sky sports and finding Spurs vs Wigan on tv and then having to watch it.  I'd rather watch paint dry.  Don't mind watching the big 4 play but i'd rather watch the Longford junior 'B' championship on TG4 than watch any of the premiership mid table matches.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Gnevin

Quote from: rrhf on April 20, 2009, 12:43:03 PM
Just on the Robbie keane points,  seriously I accept theres some talented individuals playing all sports but when Robbie Keane retires and says to kids in the pub in 40 years time I captained the free state, its going to sound mightily  impressive.  They will never realise how big a bluffa like Duffa he really was.  The fact he captained the free state for years could make anyone have a serious error of judgement and believe that in some way he merited it or earned it and him just a bluffa like duffa.  In Gaelic football you earn respect, in soccor you get paid to bluff.  I think that at best there should be one combined thread  called the soccor thread.     
I'm for one am impressed he invented a time machine ,travelled to the 30's and played football for IFS.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

screenexile

Watched the Man U Everton game and it was pretty dross. A mate supports Man Utd and was gutted and I mean I thought he was going to start crying. Seriously do not understand that at all. Why would you care that much about a team that is hundreds of miles away containing players you would never even have had the chance to meet for a team that plays in an English league?

Really don't get it. If my club or Derry loses I can get myself into an awful state but it's where I'm from with teams that contain people who live close to me or who I've went to School with or grown up with. For the life of me I cannot understand why people take soccer so seriously!