The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 10:22:48 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2009, 10:18:56 PM
"Where were you when you were shit ?" is one you could throw at Newcastle fans.
Gates of less than 15,000 only 15-20 years ago, have a massive superiority complex for a team that have basically won f**k all for best part of 50 years, followed them blindly when Shay Given was keeping them afloat, now I couldn't give a f**k about them.

They were in the old second division from 1989 (20 years ago Doogie) to 1993 when Keegan brought them up and have since consistently had some of the best average attendances in the Premiership, despite having no success.

We all have the Irish love of watching a big name fall but let's not pretend it is anything other than what it is with dubious 'facts'.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

The weeks before King Kev took over there average gate was about 15/16,000. I think the attendance in Keegans first game was 29,000. Where were they earlier in the season before the messiah appeared?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2009, 10:36:17 PM
Gates of less than 15,000 only 15-20 years ago, have a massive superiority complex for a team that have basically won f**k all for best part of 50 years, followed them blindly when Shay Given was keeping them afloat, now I couldn't give a f**k about them.

They were in the old second division from 1989 (20 years ago Doogie) to 1993 when Keegan brought them up and have since consistently had some of the best average attendances in the Premiership, despite having no success.

We all have the Irish love of watching a big name fall but let's not pretend it is anything other than what it is with dubious 'facts'.
Sorry Muppet, but you have it all wrong with your generalisation, I don't like Newcastle for a variety of reasons (Shearer, Keegan etc for now), their claim to be a 'big club' galls me too and I would be happy to see them go down, much the same way as I would be glad to see Reading go up (0-2 at Norwich tonight), and in the same way I was delighted at Mick McCarthy's Wolves winning the league.  We all have our reasons and motives and will differ now and again believe it or not.

muppet

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2009, 10:40:35 PM
The weeks before King Kev took over there average gate was about 15/16,000. I think the attendance in Keegans first game was 29,000. Where were they earlier in the season before the messiah appeared?

What was the average attendance at the bottom of the (then) Division 2?
MWWSI 2017

Doogie Browser

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2009, 10:49:31 PM

Leeds (who are a big club) average over 27,000 in League one (Division three of old money), that is loyalty.

muppet

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 10:49:05 PM

Sorry Muppet, but you have it all wrong with your generalisation, I don't like Newcastle for a variety of reasons (Shearer, Keegan etc for now), their claim to be a 'big club' galls me too and I would be happy to see them go down, much the same way as I would be glad to see Reading go up (0-2 at Norwich tonight), and in the same way I was delighted at Mick McCarthy's Wolves winning the league.  We all have our reasons and motives and will differ now and again believe it or not.

How come the 'who has the biggest Willy?' threads about United, Liverpool or Kerry & Tyrone for that matter can always be answered by the number of titles won, regardless of how long ago? But in this case Newcastle, we must accept, deserve to go down because of Keegan and Shearer. Where is the logic there? Do Newcastle's titles won (albeit in the 50s and before) not count in the 'who has the biggest willy' contest but old united, Liverpool etc ones do?  
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 10:52:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2009, 10:49:31 PM

Leeds (who are a big club) average over 27,000 in League one (Division three of old money), that is loyalty.

That is comparing today with nearly 20 years ago. It is not comparing like with like.
MWWSI 2017

Doogie Browser

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2009, 10:54:40 PM

How come the 'who has the biggest Willy?' threads about United, Liverpool or Kerry & Tyrone for that matter can always be answered by the number of titles won, regardless of how long ago? But in this case Newcastle, we must accept, deserve to go down because of Keegan and Shearer. Where is the logic there? Do Newcastle's titles won (albeit in the 50s and before) not count in the 'who has the biggest willy' contest but old united, Liverpool etc ones do?  
I did not say they deserve to go down, but I did admit I would be glad to see them relegated, a massive difference, but the table does not lie so if they are in the bottom 3 come May 24th then yes, they deserve to go down.  To use your GAA analogy, Cavan are the joint most succesful Ulster county of all time, but they don't expect to win Sam this year (well they prob do, bless em!).

You have to admit their fans are deluding themselves with their attitude?  Keegan bottled it twice and they still would wipe his ass FFS.

muppet

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 11:06:24 PM

I did not say they deserve to go down, but I did admit I would be glad to see them relegated, a massive difference, but the table does not lie so if they are in the bottom 3 come May 24th then yes, they deserve to go down.  To use your GAA analogy, Cavan are the joint most succesful Ulster county of all time, but they don't expect to win Sam this year (well they prob do, bless em!).

You have to admit their fans are deluding themselves with their attitude?  Keegan bottled it twice and they still would wipe his ass FFS.

My comments on this thread are not contesting the league table. If Newcastle go down they will have deserved to.

I am merely exploring Irish people's opinions on English clubs that they (and I) know very little about. Have you been to James' Park?

My county has not won an All Ireland in 58 years yet I consider us a contender every year and certainly worthy of our top division status. 
MWWSI 2017

Doogie Browser

Quote from: muppet on April 27, 2009, 11:20:45 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 27, 2009, 11:06:24 PM

My comments on this thread are not contesting the league table. If Newcastle go down they will have deserved to.

I am merely exploring Irish people's opinions on English clubs that they (and I) know very little about. Have you been to James' Park?

My county has not won an All Ireland in 58 years yet I consider us a contender every year and certainly worthy of our top division status. 
Yes, at the match when Bowyer and Dyer battered each other, I enjoyed that too.  Great city, shit football club.  We are all entitled to opinions and mine is that I do not like Newcastle as a club, I may not have a load of empirical analysis to back this up, but it is based on my 'limited' experience of the team, I also hate Derby County!

Ping Pong Santa

Again where are these debates? Thats balls.

Listen it's only a bit of craic talking about relegation, were allowed to throw out opinions here without backing them up.

Ping Pong Santa

Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2009, 10:09:15 PM
They should have been relegated a few year ago for the havoc they wreaked on South East Asia, hundreds of thousands of fatalities. They will pay for it this year.

Can someone explain that one to me?

mountainboii

Of the four clubs, together with the doomed WBA, still in contention for the drop I'd prefer Boro and Newcastle to go down. Usually when it comes to clubs facing the drop I like to see the ones with the most Irish players staying up. Sunderland and Hull both have a few Irish lads, not many of whom would be picked up by another Premier league club if they were relegated. Between them, Newcastle and Boro only have Duff that I can think of, and he's likely to be able to find another team willing to take him if his club goes down. For these same reasons I'm really hoping Reading win the playoffs.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on April 28, 2009, 09:26:57 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 27, 2009, 10:09:15 PM
They should have been relegated a few year ago for the havoc they wreaked on South East Asia, hundreds of thousands of fatalities. They will pay for it this year.

Can someone explain that one to me?

Google Rodney Marsh - might give you the answer.
In your Endo!

Shamrock Shore

God - not the 'Toon Army' (tsunami) joke again  :-\