The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:02:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2009, 11:23:55 AM
Someone asked about the dislike for Shearer so here's my contribution on it.

Has a team Shearer has been involved with ever won a game when they really, really needed to do so? He rightly says they weren't good enough but there is no excuse for lack of effort. Their players were a disgrace all season but particularly yesterday. Surely he has to take some of the blame for that? As a player he scored loads of goals and fair play to him. Pity he put his own vanity and greed above testing himself in really tough games, games that champions perform in. I'm actually glad he never went to United but he should really have gone somewhere he'd have a chance to win things rather than be a big fish in a small pond.

Bloody good striker, just doesn't deserve the legendary status he has had bestowed on him in my book.

Hull should also be relegated for being so rubbish. Phil Brown was a complete embarrassment yesterday as were his team.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I'll fire in England 4 Holland 1 anyhow.

A draw (or even a defeat) would have done in that game for England to go through.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2009, 12:11:04 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on May 25, 2009, 12:02:46 PM

Has a team Shearer has been involved with ever won a game when they really, really needed to do so? He rightly says they weren't good enough but there is no excuse for lack of effort. Their players were a disgrace all season but particularly yesterday. Surely he has to take some of the blame for that? As a player he scored loads of goals and fair play to him. Pity he put his own vanity and greed above testing himself in really tough games, games that champions perform in. I'm actually glad he never went to United but he should really have gone somewhere he'd have a chance to win things rather than be a big fish in a small pond.

Bloody good striker, just doesn't deserve the legendary status he has had bestowed on him in my book.

Hull should also be relegated for being so rubbish. Phil Brown was a complete embarrassment yesterday as were his team.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I'll fire in England 4 Holland 1 anyhow.

A draw (or even a defeat) would have done in that game for England to go through.

Ah you could be right.

Galwaybhoy

I'm not a huge fan of Shearer, but are you criticising him for not going to a big club like Man Utd instead of staying at Newcastle for the best part of his career? Surely thats a good sign of a player, someone that has a bit of pride in the team he plays for, he could have easily went to a club for bigger wages where he would have won a sackful of medals, the fact that neither were as important to him as playing for his local club is a positive thing.

Hound

Shearer was a top class striker - the best English striker of his generation and it was a good batch considering you had Sheringham, Cole, Sutton, Fowler, Ferdinand etc.

Pure nonsense to say it was vanity and greed as to why he didnt go to Man United.

His tactics and the lack of motivation shown by the team on Sunday would seem to indicate he's a brutal manager!
I actually think he didnt use the "Shearer factor" enough. I remember his first game and the St James Park crowd were all on tenterhooks waiting for him, but instead of coming out onto the pitch which would have lead to the crowd going mental, he slinked down the touchline onto the bench, which was his attitude throughout - "this is not about me, its about the team". But the team is useless and was in desperate need for inspiration which Shearer clearly couldnt or wouldnt provide.

slow corner back

They said on match of the day last night that at least 15 players at NUFC were on £50,000 a week wages. I would lay odds that is more than the Arsenal wage bill to say nothing of Everton, Villa, Fulham etc. There will be some clear out there this summer but I suspect rather like Leeds a lot of high earners will not leave because no one will want them. In all honesty players like Nicky Butt, Alan Smith, Geremi etc all have their best days behind them.

Norf Tyrone

slow corner back

Maybe it was my hearing but I thought it was at least 15 they said. Off the top of my head I would suggest Owen, Viduka, Martins,Butt, Smith,Nolan,Geremi,Enrique,Duff and Colocinni would all be on about that. Shola Ameobi got a new contract last year so maybe him too. If it was only five why mention it?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: slow corner back on May 25, 2009, 07:20:58 PM
Maybe it was my hearing but I thought it was at least 15 they said. Off the top of my head I would suggest Owen, Viduka, Martins,Butt, Smith,Nolan,Geremi,Enrique,Duff and Colocinni would all be on about that. Shola Ameobi got a new contract last year so maybe him too. If it was only five why mention it?
Maybe I heard wrong. You can guarantee Duff, Owen and Viduka are all on 50, and I'd be surprised if the others took pay cust to go to Newcastle.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on May 25, 2009, 02:03:23 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Shearer, but are you criticising him for not going to a big club like Man Utd instead of staying at Newcastle for the best part of his career? Surely thats a good sign of a player, someone that has a bit of pride in the team he plays for, he could have easily went to a club for bigger wages where he would have won a sackful of medals, the fact that neither were as important to him as playing for his local club is a positive thing.

One would think Shearer should be admired for not going to Man United,he must have known he wasn't going to win much if anything with Newcastle but yet went to play for them because they were his club,its just hard to please some people I suppose  ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

mountainboii

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 25, 2009, 09:31:19 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on May 25, 2009, 02:03:23 PM

One would think Shearer should be admired for not going to Man United,he must have known he wasn't going to win much if anything with Newcastle but yet went to play for them because they were his club,its just hard to please some people I suppose  ::)

Its worth remembering though, that when Shearer chose to go to Newcastle they were one of the top teams in the league having finished runners up the season before. Its also not as if he was going to be poorly paid there either, they were probably offering similar terms as United. So, at the time, I don't think choosing Newcastle over United was anyway as big a deal as it seems now in hindsight.

Declan

QuoteYou can guarantee Duff, Owen and Viduka are all on 50

More like 65 for duffer

slow corner back

Heard on Radio 5 last night that Collocinni is on 65K with no relegation clause and Xisco is on £50 as well with no relegation clause. They are in serious financial trouble as is Mike Ashley whose sports clothing store is not going too well at the minute. Owen kinda doesnt matter as he is out of contract so they can forget about him some of the others though such as Nolan and Smith will have signed long term contracts.

longball

They will end up loaning out a large number of players on loner term contracts and hoping clubs pay at least 70% of the wage. Tough times ahead, Owen was 120K a week and i know Smith is 60K a week thats hugh money for Smith for a player that is not even a regular, also i know Bassong who has been newcastles best player all year is on 250K A YEAR he will be sold on anyway as they can get around £6m for him
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

blewuporstuffed

i had read somewhere thatarsenal were interested in bassong.
not sure who would take owen to be honest.cant see any of the big 4 wanting him and not may other clubs would be willing to pay his wages.he might have to go abroad again to get football
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either