Match Attendances

Started by Oakleafer93, April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

4,383 at Clare/Limerick Munster SFC semi-final

Zulu

It was more like 6K IMO, the stand I was in was packed and the opposite stand was fairly full also, there was definitely more than 4,300 anyway.

Rossfan

I saw 12,831 mentioned in one paper today for the Breffni game.
A bumper weekend for crowds alright.
But no marks to the RTE sports presenter on last night's news who breathlessly informed us that the crowd in Croke Park was 3,000 less than when the same Counties met 2 years ago.
124,000 at 4 games. I doubt if that many went to the first 9 rounds of the Lge of Ireland put together(99 games.
It seems it always has to be find a negative when it's the GAA with the Dublin 4 arseholes RTE.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2009, 05:49:31 PM
I saw 12,831 mntioned in one paper today for the Breffni game.
A bumper weekend for crowds alright.
But no marks to the RET sports presenter on last night's news who breathlessly informed us that the crowd in Croke Park was 3,000 less than when the same Counties met 2 years ago.
124,00 at 4 games. I doubt if that many went to the first 9 rounds of the Lge of Ireland put together(99 games.
It seems it always has to be find a negative when it's the GAA with the Dublin 4 arseholes RTE.
In fairness  the so called GAA people after the Dublin game did us no favours. They made it seem like they would rather have their teeth pulled than watch the match. I know its a shocking  game but it wasn't that bad
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rossfan

Quote from: Gnevin on June 08, 2009, 05:56:47 PM
In fairness  the so called GAA after the Dublin game did us no favours. They made it seem like they would rather have their teeth pulled than watch the match.

What  the ????????  are you on about?  ??? ??? ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2009, 06:13:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 08, 2009, 05:56:47 PM
In fairness  the so called GAA after the Dublin game did us no favours. They made it seem like they would rather have their teeth pulled than watch the match.

What  the ????????  are you on about?  ??? ??? ???
Pat Spillane and the other guy (name escapes me) made it seem like they'd of rather spent 2 hours trying to keep a secret while in the company of Jack Bauer than watch the match.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

Yeah I'm getting a bit sick of their negativity as well, I was at Limerick/Clare so I didn't get to hear their 'analysis' but they don't need to go on about games being poor. They don't need to act like sky either but they should analyse the games rather than simply bitching about the quality. We can see for ourselves whether the game is good or not so we don't need them talking down the game even further.

Jinxy

How many times have you watched match of the day, the premiership highlights on RTE, a game of rugby etc. and the first thing out of the analysts mouth was "This was a poor game", "basic skills were bad" etc.
And it's not about being honest.
I don't need an analyst to tell me if a game was good or not, and neither does anyone else.
It seems like if every game isn't like Meath-Dublin 2007, Dublin-Mayo 2006, Armagh-Tyrone 2005, Tyrone-Kerry 2008 then we've somehow been let down.
GAA analysts are obsessed with the concept of "errors".
When did this become such a big part of talking about gaelic games?
"It was an entertaining game but there were a lot of errors" for example.
We are setting the bar way too high and that results in this constant air of negativity we now have.
Without fail, the first words out of Spillanes gob after nearly every game last year was "Was this a good game?"
What other sport is covered in this way?
I'm 100% against Sky Sports style cheerleading but FFS there has to be some sort of a happy medium.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2009, 08:04:40 PM
How many times have you watched match of the day, the premiership highlights on RTE, a game of rugby etc. and the first thing out of the analysts mouth was "This was a poor game", "basic skills were bad" etc.
I don't need an analyst to tell me if a game was good or not, and neither does anyone else.
It seems like if every game isn't like Meath-Dublin 2007, Dublin-Mayo 2006, Armagh-Tyrone 2005, Tyrone-Kerry 2008 then we've somehow been let down.
We are setting the bar way too high and that results in this constant air of negativity we now have.
Without fail, the first words out of Spillanes gob after nearly every game last year was "Was this a good game?"
I'm 100% against Sky Sports style cheerleading but FFS there has to be some sort of a happy medium.

Spot on, and then they go on to talk about selling our games to the audience and competing with rugby.

magickingdom

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2009, 08:04:40 PM

well said, i couldnt agree more. andy gray mostly sickens me but at least he's pushing his product, the gaa need to do the same thing. i'm not for a minute saying they should have editorial control but at least get presenters enthusiastic about the game (but not to the extent of andy gray

Tyrone Dreamer

Agree totally here. These guys have their own agendas and are happy to make money out of the gaa but certainly are doing nothing to promote it. I've saw a lot worse and more boring soccer and rugby matches this year without the over the top reaction from the pundits. I wasnt impressed with the Dublin Meath game but some people seem to expect every match to be a classic and even at that will still go out of their way to find faults in it. You've got to remember at this stage teams are playing there first big game of the year and our finding their feet.

ExiledGael

Sky show the most mundane things in slow motion and glam them up, all we get highlighted is a collection of the most nasty incidents in a game and if your lucky a few scores in the analysis.
The Cavan Fermanagh game was admittedly poor but there were a few moments of real quality. Martin Reilly's free taking off the deck, each one with the outside of his left foot, was unreal. Suppose camera angles and quality, and mostly money, come into it all.

magickingdom

30,000 at cork v kerry, 7,000 at kildare v wexford, 25,000 at limerick v waterford

cville

Quote from: magickingdom on June 14, 2009, 08:52:05 PM
30,000 at cork v kerry, 7,000 at kildare v wexford, 25,000 at limerick v waterford

The Cork Kerry game is an excellent attendance - given that it doesn't matter a flying feck when August comes...

Jinxy

Quote from: magickingdom on June 14, 2009, 08:52:05 PM

30,000 me eye.
They must have let a load of people in for nothing due to the delay because there's no way there was only 30,000 at that game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.