Match Attendances

Started by Oakleafer93, April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

like i said a few times on other threads gaa oficial attendances for a lot of games are a joke. they need to get systems in place whereby everyone going in a turnstile is counted and pays - thats certainly not the case in most county grounds

Maguire01

Quote from: INDIANA on May 25, 2009, 10:13:45 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 25, 2009, 12:27:01 AM
Quote from: laoisgaa on May 24, 2009, 10:31:07 PM
12,356 in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise for Wicklow-Longford and Kildare-Offaly

3,000 per county is really poor especially when you consider that Kildare would be regarded as one of the better supported teams in the country.

I would have said that was a fairly decent crowd for 3 out of the 4 counties wouldn't have huge support as all are at a low ebb. I thought the Derry V Monaghan was a very small crowd considering the pedigree of the counties involved -ie both top 8 teams.
Considering no tickets were put on general release (i.e. internet sales) and no family tickets were available... the GAA really are shooting themselves in the foot.

What's the story with next week's game? All ticket or not? I don't think it needs to be.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 25, 2009, 10:13:45 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 25, 2009, 12:27:01 AM
Quote from: laoisgaa on May 24, 2009, 10:31:07 PM
12,356 in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise for Wicklow-Longford and Kildare-Offaly

3,000 per county is really poor especially when you consider that Kildare would be regarded as one of the better supported teams in the country.

I would have said that was a fairly decent crowd for 3 out of the 4 counties wouldn't have huge support as all are at a low ebb. I thought the Derry V Monaghan was a very small crowd considering the pedigree of the counties involved -ie both top 8 teams.
Considering no tickets were put on general release (i.e. internet sales) and no family tickets were available... the GAA really are shooting themselves in the foot.

What's the story with next week's game? All ticket or not? I don't think it needs to be.

You talking about Tyrone Armagh? It is all ticket but there is supposed to be plenty of family tickets and tickets are available on ticketmaster. Should be a good crowd. You'd be worried if there wasnt with 2 big rivals meeting and a clash of ulster and all ireland champions.

laoisgaa

Quote3,000 per county is really poor especially when you consider that Kildare would be regarded as one of the better supported teams in the country.

The bulk of the support was Kildare - to me it seemed they had more than the other three counties combined

Tyrone Dreamer

Are the gaa doing enough to promote its games? Surely at the very least they could make ticket information and packages available to the public. This Sundays clash of the Ulster and All Ireland Champions shouldnt be that hard to promote and attract over 30,000 to. Yet there has hardly been a word from the gaa. When the fixture was announced they said 10,000 family tickets would be available in decent parts of the ground. If this is the case surely they should be making more of a deal of it, as the savings involved could attract a lot of families to the game. The gaa is very poor at getting ticketing information available to the public. For the 1st 2 ulster games it was difficult to know if you werent from a club from a competing county were tickets were available.

rionach 4

We have to really question what is going on here . If the Gaa said there were would be 10000 family tickets available where are they. our club got five which is 2 adults £20 2 children at £4. Translated this means that only 10 juveniles in our club got tickets . Yes other tickets were available but all £20 except the hill whcih is £13. I put my name down for a family ticket as I have two children didnt get one as it was drawn out of a hat as there were 20 names in for them whcih is fair enough. I had to buy 4 tickets seating as the children wouldn't see on the hill at the cost of £80. Others in the club were forking out £150. I have never missed an Armagh match in 20 years and for us its a way of life like I'm sure so many others. It is no wonder the attendances are down. There is not 10000 family tickets on sale. that is a lie. There are 120 clubs approx between the two counties and judging by our allocation, the numberof family tickets is closer to a thousand than 10000. And to crown it all Tyrone dreamer pointed out that The gaa stated the tickets would be in decent parts of the ground . Well The family tickets we got are in the Eastern Stand  Section C right behind the goals . The children are directly in the line of the footballs that reign in pre-match.  I do know that the Pat McGrane stand is also being used but these are Section AA and BB which is effectively behind the goals on the corner of the Eastern Stand. Decent seat.????  I am not looking for centre seats Arthur Stand or Paul mC grane Middle section . I want something that can encourage our children to go to the matches. Why is there no juvenile tickets ( apart from the family ones) for the O duffy or hill . It may not suit all u-16s but it would alleviate some of the problem. If the uptake in tickets in our club is anything to go by the crowd will be nearer 25000 than 35000

Zulu

While of course it is important to get the kids into see the big games people have to remember that every cheap kids ticket is a full priced adult ticket less. So if there were 10K family tickets produced that would mean that there are already 10K tickets unavailable to single adults. And considering that there will also be plenty of 15-18 year olds who'll go to the game on their own, or adults who'll pay full price for their kids that is a lot of tickets for kids. The GAA can't please everyone all the time but it is about time some GAA folk just shut up and paid into see their county play, we give out about the recession and what not, well you know when your county are playing, if money is a bit tight don't go out for pints the previous week or set aside a few pound during the year so you have money for the games. Too many lads bitching about what the GAA should be doing for them and not enough lads making a few sacrifices to do something for the GAA.

tyrone86

Quote from: rionach 4 on May 26, 2009, 11:07:32 AM
We have to really question what is going on here . If the Gaa said there were would be 10000 family tickets available where are they. our club got five which is 2 adults £20 2 children at £4. Translated this means that only 10 juveniles in our club got tickets . Yes other tickets were available but all £20 except the hill whcih is £13. I put my name down for a family ticket as I have two children didnt get one as it was drawn out of a hat as there were 20 names in for them whcih is fair enough. I had to buy 4 tickets seating as the children wouldn't see on the hill at the cost of £80. Others in the club were forking out £150. I have never missed an Armagh match in 20 years and for us its a way of life like I'm sure so many others. It is no wonder the attendances are down. There is not 10000 family tickets on sale. that is a lie. There are 120 clubs approx between the two counties and judging by our allocation, the numberof family tickets is closer to a thousand than 10000. And to crown it all Tyrone dreamer pointed out that The gaa stated the tickets would be in decent parts of the ground . Well The family tickets we got are in the Eastern Stand  Section C right behind the goals . The children are directly in the line of the footballs that reign in pre-match.  I do know that the Pat McGrane stand is also being used but these are Section AA and BB which is effectively behind the goals on the corner of the Eastern Stand. Decent seat.????  I am not looking for centre seats Arthur Stand or Paul mC grane Middle section . I want something that can encourage our children to go to the matches. Why is there no juvenile tickets ( apart from the family ones) for the O duffy or hill . It may not suit all u-16s but it would alleviate some of the problem. If the uptake in tickets in our club is anything to go by the crowd will be nearer 25000 than 35000

I totally disagree. Any Juvenile tickets should be family tickets - I know there has been a tradition in Clones of young ones running around loaded (all counties not just Armagh) but surely the fact that the discounted tickets come as part of a family package should alleviate this problem. If they're big enough to act the maggot half cut on the Hill then they're big enough to pay full price.

neilthemac

time to put games on a Saturday and Friday evening

Rugby matches are staggered to get the maximum possible exposure for each game.

Too many GAA matches together on a Sunday.

rionach 4

Point taken Zulu but It was the gaa who said there would be that number available when the decided to take the match to clones . I do pay into every match despite the price and following Armagh over this past years in particular has cost me a lot Last year alone in the region of a thousand pound and . i dont regret one penny of it . But attendances are dropping . People at my club last night opted to stay at home when there were no family tickets left. They just couldn't afford the price . Other years they went but now with the uncertainty of work they have decided not to bother. They are sticking with the cheaper option not because they are bad gaels ,its just they cant afford £100 for their kids tickets. There are only about 1500 family tickets  The truth is that of the 200 tickets that arrived at our club 5 were family whcih meant 10 kids whch is 5% of the total.  In my mind if this is called looking after families and children I totally disagree.

Zulu

I wasn't having a go at you rionach 4, the point I was making is that all you hear is lads giving out about this that or the other, yet the Heineken cup semi sold out no problem and lads still head to England for Man U games. I'd like to see a greater reduction in prices for kids and more promotion of the games but there is also a responsibility on ourselves to make that extra effort. Our games aren't that expensive so it's time we make a few sacrifices to get there, the money goes back into our games after all.

Bing Crosby .

This talk of 3 mini CP 's is hilarious . Highlighting the Gealic Grounds in Limk as basicly being a joke  (white elephant ) is also hilarious . Too big , is it ? ???  Limerick is known as the traditional hotbed venue for Munster Hurling Finals (not so much since the 60's) and it holds the record high attendance of over   67,000 people ( is this the truth or not ?) for the 1963 clash of Cork v Tipp . Reality is all GAA grounds around the country are white elephants . It seems to me that the Gealic Grounds in Limerick is the envy of the GAA world outside of Dublin . J P McManus contributed  the larger % of the refurbishment cost a few years back and LCB are very much indepted to him for that .
The truth will never be told as regards proper attendances at GAA matches . If you believe that the ordinary punter is given truthful attendance figures , then you are nieve indeed . Everybody loses out when the truth is told , you see .

cville

I think that the bottom line is that people are beginning to catch on to the who farcical situation. What's the point of paying good money to see your team in a 'knock-out' competition where the sudden death aspect of the game has been taken from it? There is no REAL 'do or die' aspect to the provincial championship as, WITH THE BACK DOOR, I can tell you that every Armagh player would gladly swap last year's Ulster medal for the All-Ireland one..  :(

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: cville on May 26, 2009, 09:59:12 PM
I think that the bottom line is that people are beginning to catch on to the who farcical situation. What's the point of paying good money to see your team in a 'knock-out' competition where the sudden death aspect of the game has been taken from it? There is no REAL 'do or die' aspect to the provincial championship as, WITH THE BACK DOOR, I can tell you that every Armagh player would gladly swap last year's Ulster medal for the All-Ireland one..  :(

You'd wonder how soccer survives then or the Heinken Cup? Some soccer supporters will attend up to 40 games a season that arent knockout and the majority arent really important. If Tyrone win on Sunday they will be 5 games away from winning the All Ireland and 2 from winning Ulster. If they lose they will be 7 games away from winning the All Ireland and no chance in Ulster. I know which situation I would rather be in.

Zulu

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on May 26, 2009, 08:47:14 PM
This talk of 3 mini CP 's is hilarious . Highlighting the Gealic Grounds in Limk as basicly being a joke  (white elephant ) is also hilarious . Too big , is it ? ???  Limerick is known as the traditional hotbed venue for Munster Hurling Finals (not so much since the 60's) and it holds the record high attendance of over   67,000 people ( is this the truth or not ?) for the 1963 clash of Cork v Tipp . Reality is all GAA grounds around the country are white elephants . It seems to me that the Gealic Grounds in Limerick is the envy of the GAA world outside of Dublin . J P McManus contributed  the larger % of the refurbishment cost a few years back and LCB are very much indepted to him for that .
The truth will never be told as regards proper attendances at GAA matches . If you believe that the ordinary punter is given truthful attendance figures , then you are nieve indeed . Everybody loses out when the truth is told , you see .

You're obviously from Limerick and talked as much nonsense when you predicted Limerick for the AI, the GG the envy of the country, well you go away FFS.