Match Attendances

Started by Oakleafer93, April 17, 2009, 08:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

32k in Clones, capacity about 34k

Highlander3

6k at the Wicklow Down game

laoisgaa

24,163 at the double header in Semple Stadium, Thurles on Saturday - All-Ire SHC Phase 3 Qual: Laois/Limerick; Cork/Galway
32,632 at the double header in St Tiernach's Park, Clones on Sunday - Ulster SFC - Antrim/Tyrone; Ulster MFC - Armagh/Down

Bogball XV

Quote from: Rois on July 19, 2009, 09:59:37 PM
how many antrim?  How come their hurlers get feck all support, I'd always assumed that since the county board prioritise hurling they'd get similar numbers at their hurling that the football counties would at football, but I've seen a fair few of their all ireland quarters etc and there's never been much more than a handful of them there.

orangeman

Quote from: laoisgaa on July 19, 2009, 11:10:40 PM
24,163 at the double header in Semple Stadium, Thurles on Saturday - All-Ire SHC Phase 3 Qual: Laois/Limerick; Cork/Galway
32,632 at the double header in St Tiernach's Park, Clones on Sunday - Ulster SFC - Antrim/Tyrone; Ulster MFC - Armagh/Down

Good numbers considering.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 20, 2009, 01:37:24 AM
how many antrim?  How come their hurlers get feck all support, I'd always assumed that since the county board prioritise hurling they'd get similar numbers at their hurling that the football counties would at football, but I've seen a fair few of their all ireland quarters etc and there's never been much more than a handful of them there.

Bogball, I'd guess about 12k at least were Antrim.

In relation to the hurling v football support question, while by and large the games are played in different areas - North Antrim hurling, South West Antrim football, South Antrim (i.e. Belfast) both - the potential support for both is the same. What you saw yesterday was either a county starved off success having its day in the sun or bandwaggonering at its best, depending on your opinion. A big crowd followed the hurlers in the late 80s and early 90s when they had a good team, at a time when the footballers were getting beat in the first round each year in front of a small support.

Any run of success in either hurling or football would see the crowds increasing -  the problem with the hurlers at the minute is that it seems to be two steps forward, three steps back and people are not prepared to travel to Croker or whereever when there is no real prospect of a result.

That sort of attitude can be criticised, but on the other hand, why would people travel (in large numbers) year after year when no visible progress is being made.

Gnevin

How to get the crowds when you know the odds are your going to have you ass handed to you.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gnevin on July 20, 2009, 02:20:13 PM

How to get the crowds when you know the odds are your going to have you ass handed to you.

I thought the travelling support to croker last month was very poor, especially given the significance of the game, whilst the dubs ended up half convincing winners they were out hurled in the first half and had antrim taken some of their goal chances the dubs would have been up against it.

Rossfan

4,864 official attendance at the Hyde. It looked like about 7,000 but u 16s werent being charged so both figures could well be accurate.
Probably 64 from Wexford.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Any word on the attendances over the weekend ???

laoisgaa

8,514 at SFC Qualifier Round 4 - Antrim v Kerry at O'Connor Park, Tullamore

17,700 at SFC Qual Rnd 4 Kildare/Wicklow; SHC Relg Clare/Wexford and MHC qtr-final Wexford/Tipp @ O'Moore Park, Portlaoise

Jinxy

12,000 in Navan.
(It was actually a good bit more but keep it under your hat).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

49,761 in Croker today.

Sellout tomorrow.

Bogball XV

about 8,000 last night at meath v limerick

orangeman

34000 in Croke Park on Sturday for a triple header -

How many are they expecting at the weekend ?

Nice wee bonus here for the GAA -

Four counties have been handed fines of €5,000 each over incidents in the recent All-Ireland Football qualifiers.

Longford and Wexford received the punishment after unsavoury scenes in their clash on 13 July.

Cavan and Fermanagh have also been sanctioned for similar scenes in their encounter on the same day.

The Breffni County did seek to have their fine commuted, but were unsuccessful. However, selector Anthony Forde did have his eight-week ban overturned.

Fermanagh are set to appeal the suspension of player Sean Quigley, with Wexford also to contest the one-match ban handed to David Murphy. Along with Longford, both counties will be appealing the €5,000 fine.