Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on June 08, 2009, 08:59:58 AM
Well you're entitled to your opinion canalman ( I didn't mean to insult you if thats what you felt) but in my view Henry and Hubbard really struggled. Hubbard was shunted out of the way by Cian Ward like a ragdoll at times. The fact that Ward's shooting was erratic is the only thing that saved him. Henry was caught the wrong side several times and Farrell with more match practice would have done more damage. Bastic was marking a half back and conceded way too much space too him.
It would be frigtening to see what Mulligan/Cavanagh and O Neill would do to them- thats the yardstick.
They aren't helped  though with the amount of space in front of them.
The half forward line is simply a revolving door. We seem incapable of picking the correct balance to the line on a consistent basis to give the line a bit of continuity but its like muscial chairs at the minute.
if Dublin people are genuinely happy with that yesterday- fair play. But you have to question whats the ambition for Dublin football anymore and if its winning poor standard Leinstre championships then yesterday was a fine result. If its about beating the best teams in the land-yesterday was not even in the ballpark. Thats the worst Meath team since the 70's and I'm old enough to remember them.
I'd also like to hear other counties fans opinions about Shane Ryan. If he was on the transfer market would other counties be interested in him? I just can't fathom how an allstar from last season isn't in the top 20 players in Dublin. Or maybe I rate him far too highly?

Heffo I've seen them training that Shane Ryan isn't fit thing- is bullshit. He isn't carrying an ounce more than last year.

I've always thought he'd make a good centre-half back for the Dubs. He's a big strong lad and he'd go a long way towards solving what is a problem position for Dublin. He started off as a corner back so I don't think he'd have too many problems adapting to the position.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tyronefan

Always liked Shane Ryan

He gives you 100% every game and is a honest footballer

Croí na hÉireann

Ideal result for the Dubs, win while playing bad, diffuse some of the hype while still experimenting. It's only the start of June. Eastmeath were wiped out in the middle, when Crawford doesn't perform they have no other options in there. Laughable to think some people were portraying them as genuine contenders for Leinster.

Edit: Meant to say it was a clean enough game for a derby, although I imagine Brennan will do time for the swing/attempted swing. Good player but no discipline. Hope Davoren recovers quickly, looks a quality player and plays the game how it should be played.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2009, 02:00:54 PM
I honestly don't see why there is such negativity about this Dublin team.
Dominated everywhere but the scoreboard.
Missed a lot of chances they would normally get, but that can happen sometimes.
If they'd won by 10 points (which they should have) it would be a different story.
I think that team can be tweaked for the next game and by the time the Leinster final comes around you'll have a group of players that know the system and what's expected of them.
I'd never write off anyone deemed an All-Ireland contender on the basis of their first championship match.

No offence Jinxy but Meath are rubbish. Had we won by 10 points my analysis would be different. I never buy into bullshit Dublin in particular go on with about "at least we won". By playing well in games you show that areas of the team are working well , combinations are working well and your players are playing well. So when you come up against top class opposition there is a better chance of performing well.
Just look at tyrone's first outing. Thats the level of performance I'd be looking for first day out. Play well and win with something in the tank. Dublin played poorly and we're no wiser whether there is anything in the tank. When you've got a new team its more imperative to hit the ground running then if you've got an experienced team where you know its there if needed. Like kerry for example.

Jinxy

But the league and challenge games highlighted the experimental nature of what Gilroys trying to do.
You can't show up on day one and expect all the pieces to fall into place.
A team doesn't have to be brilliant in every game to win an All Ireland.
They just have to be good enough in the ones that count.
You have a bigger and better squad this year than last.
Gilroy just needs to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater and strike the right balance between new faces and the old reliables.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2009, 03:16:53 PM
But the league and challenge games highlighted the experimental nature of what Gilroys trying to do.
You can't show up on day one and expect all the pieces to fall into place.
A team doesn't have to be brilliant in every game to win an All Ireland.
They just have to be good enough in the ones that count.
You have a bigger and better squad this year than last.
Gilroy just needs to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater and strike the right balance between new faces and the old reliables.

[/quote

No but had we played a consistent team in the league and challenge games to some degree we would have played better yesterday. Pat Spillane said one thing I agree with yesterday that dublin looked like ateam that had never played together before.
He was right- they hadn't. Each to their own but I never be approaching a championship as a manager like that.
I don't have any expectation of winning the All-ireland this year. i'm not going to be slating the management in August because I think getting to the last 4 with a new team would be a good showing.  But other Dublin fans I know seem to think we're capable of winning the all-ireland this year and they'll be the first to be calling for Giller's head in August while telling me I'm a clown for criticsing yesterday's performance.

lynchbhoy

pretty much agree with what Indiana was saying.

Dublins problems stem from too much experimentation in the league and not having a settled side for those last few league games to lead into the championship.
Meath likewise. Both sides were showing that they both had no cohesion or team work ethic yesterday.
The Brogans took on way to much themselves, both corner backs were left badly exposed and therefore found out for what they really are - imo not quite good enough for inter county.

whelan should have been started at third midfield or chf. Jayo three years past it.

Meath selection also puzzling to say the least. Better men on the sideline and replacing stephen bray instead of putting him in the ff line puzzles me evern more.
Was mark ward inj ?
Thought he was doing well up until being taken off, certainly was the best of the four midfielders.
Dubs great at winning the breaking ball though. Wastefulness and greedy forward play needs to be stamped out .

Meath could do ok in the qualifiers.

INDIANA

The only good thing that came out of yesterday for meath was between farrell- the 2 sheridans -bray(in the ff line) and ward they can score if they get the ball. Midfield and the breaks is a huge problem for them . Not one of their defenders was selected in his best position either. But teams without good midfields struggle- no point in saying otherwise.
But Meath were passionless yesterday by their own standards. i don't mean throwing digs but Meath lads used to risk getting kicked in the head to get to a breaking ball. yesterday they lost the first 12 kickouts according to the stats.

Jinxy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 08, 2009, 03:39:51 PM

Dublins problems stem from too much experimentation in the league and not having a settled side for those last few league games to lead into the championship.
Meath likewise. Both sides were showing that they both had no cohesion or team work ethic yesterday.
The Brogans took on way to much themselves, both corner backs were left badly exposed and therefore found out for what they really are - imo not quite good enough for inter county.

whelan should have been started at third midfield or chf. Jayo three years past it.

Meath selection also puzzling to say the least. Better men on the sideline and replacing stephen bray instead of putting him in the ff line puzzles me evern more.
Was mark ward inj ?
Thought he was doing well up until being taken off, certainly was the best of the four midfielders.

Dubs great at winning the breaking ball though. Wastefulness and greedy forward play needs to be stamped out .

The best of the 4 midfielders! :o
Crawford was fighting a lone battle at midfield I'm afraid.
Ward was too busy moaning to the ref about this that and the other to actually contest any kick-outs.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on June 08, 2009, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 08, 2009, 03:39:51 PM

Was mark ward inj ?

The best of the 4 midfielders! :o
Crawford was fighting a lone battle at midfield I'm afraid.
Ward was too busy moaning to the ref about this that and the other to actually contest any kick-outs.
imo crawford was anonymous until ward went off....
at least big mark attacked the ball
dont rate crawford though, never did. Still have not seen anything from any perf from him to change my mind either

Jinxy

Ward is just too ponderous for the game he tries to play.
I'm tired of seeing him winding up for a kick knowing full well that the opposition player 20 yards away will get there in time to block him.
I'd rather a midfield of Moyles and Crawford at this stage.

liihb

In fairness to Crawford I thought he played well yesterday.
Think Ward was replaced before he was sent off

Moyles was wasted in the FB line if you ask me, when they needed leaders out the field

The Dub forwards need to realise that they are all playing on the one team rather than playing for themselves, the 2 brogans and Keaney must be some of the greediest players in the country
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Jell 0 Biafra

This is one reason why Sherlock has been (and should still be) so valuable to this team.  Pretty much alone amongst the Dublin forwards, he understands how to make a forward line run as a unit, showing for passes, and laying off to the man in space.  Whether he scores big or not, Dublin's forward line is always more cohesive with him playing.

Main Street

There wasn't much evidence yesterday that the Dubs could trouble the status quo this year,
but I wouldn't write them off yet.
A (predicted) Leinster final with them and Kildare could be the making or breaking of them.

thejuice

Well well well,

what to say about the game. I almost tore my hair out watching it. Things were looking good after the first 15 mins and we were up 5 to 3, then Ward missed that free and with the ensuing break we seemed to lose shape and just got destroyed in the middle. Mark Ward was well beat out there, Paddy O'Rourkes kick outs were off target. McKeigue got a roasting as well.

I'd have to agree with the some of the earlier points, where was the support to win the breaks at midfield? it was non-existant. It was the same in the league and I was wondering if the management could even see it. Are they expecting Ward, Crawford and Meade to win their own ball? ANd the thing that was really driving me mad was the reluctance to put the ball into the forwards quicker, we got caught so many times with stupid hand passes, with players ended up isolated. We had Bray, Ward, King and Farrell up there and it shoud have been going into them faster. It was a poor game that Dublin should have hammered us and yet we still could have won.

I still think we have the talent to go a bit further but the management and the players need to sit down and watch that game again a good few times and look at the glaring mistakes that were repeatedly being made. As for the Dubs, they need to find their shooting boots fast, it was comical in the second half.

I just want to make a point for Kevin Reilly, his tackle that he got a card for was perfect defending from my seat and I saw the replay a few times to make my mind up. Dublin got a point out of a bad refereeing decision.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016