Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Yeah I can see the arguments for Shaughs alright but I think Dublin are ok for free takers so Vaughan's omission is understandable, at the end of the day if he ain't on the field he won't be brought on to kick a match winner from 50 yards cold. Now there are others who are probably offering as little from play and nothing from frees but I can't see a strong argument for his retention.

thejuice

If I remember correctly Dublin wouldnt have beaten us in the 07 replay with out Vaughan taking the frees. I would reckon he'd be on the team if he was fit. He was excellent in the club championship.

Is Shane Ryan going to play a part against Meath at all?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Ticket info: Parnell Park ticket holders

Parnell Park Ticket Holders can purchase a ticket for the Leinster Championship games against Antrim (hurling) and Meath (football) from the GAA Ticket Office, 53 Lower Dorset Street on Tuesday June 2 between 9.30am and 7.30pm.
This office is located at the Drumcondra end of Dorset Street opposite the bottom of Whitworth Road beside the Red Parrott Pub.
NO tickets will be available for sale from Parnell Park at any stage during 2009.

http://www.hill16.ie/viewstoryhill16.asp?mainheading=Word+on+The+Hill&id=11207&viewstory=yes
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on May 26, 2009, 04:29:07 PM
according to the herald, vaughan, stephen o shaugnessy , derek murray, tiernan diamond were cut from the dublin squad.
Staggered by that personally.

I'm not 100% about Vaughan as he's carrying a knock but the others are gone back with a gym program, I was talking to one of them earlier - it's similar to the prehab one they started in January - no heavy weights etc..

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 26, 2009, 04:41:06 PM
The radio had Vaughan as injured and am staggered by O'Shaughnessy's treatment since 05, only genuine corner back I've seen play for Dublin in the last 5 years...

His shoulder went twice in that period and he fell out with Pillar over a holiday - I would've thought he'd be in the shakeup for a corner back spot under Gilroy but the full back line is the only line we know with 100% certainty who is first choice for Dublin as it stands..

Hound

Like Sherlock has, these guys can get back on the panel later, though barring injuries to others I can't see anyone but Vaughan returning this summer.

As I understand it Vaughan has been told he'll be reconsidered when he proves his fitness. Though I can imagin that playing for Kilmacud recenty while injured didnt go down all that well with Gilroy and Whelan.

Paul Casey has scored 4 or 5 point in the last 2 challege games. Now the opposition was only bus-sick Mayo and deflated Down, but I think our search for another scoring forward is over  ;)

Declan

Quotebut I think our search for another scoring forward is over  Wink

Ever the optimist Hound!!!

Gnevin

Quote from: Hound on May 27, 2009, 07:00:15 AM
Like Sherlock has, these guys can get back on the panel later, though barring injuries to others I can't see anyone but Vaughan returning this summer.

As I understand it Vaughan has been told he'll be reconsidered when he proves his fitness. Though I can imagin that playing for Kilmacud recenty while injured didnt go down all that well with Gilroy and Whelan.

Paul Casey has scored 4 or 5 point in the last 2 challege games. Now the opposition was only bus-sick Mayo and deflated Down, but I think our search for another scoring forward is over  ;)
On any given panel we've 9-12 scoring forwards . Backs are the problem .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Bensars

Dont think backs or forwards are the problem. As panels go it would be fairly healthy.

Where dublin have the problem is between the ears. Phsycologically they have'nt  been able to make the  breakthrough, threw away healthy leads and in the face of adversity capitulated.

Although its great that they are defeating Mayo in a friendly, they still have to cope once the media bandwagon starts, and when they face championship oppisition outside of Leinster

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on May 26, 2009, 09:30:10 PM
The radio had Vaughan as injured and am staggered by O'Shaughnessy's treatment since 05, only genuine corner back I've seen play for Dublin in the last 5 years...

His shoulder went twice in that period and he fell out with Pillar over a holiday - I would've thought he'd be in the shakeup for a corner back spot under Gilroy but the full back line is the only line we know with 100% certainty who is first choice for Dublin as it stands..

Once was in the middle of 05 though & he got back for the Tyrone game if I recall correctly. Pillar fawned all over Vaughan & others, yet in his major problem area (the fb line) he couldn't handle his only top quality option? Like I said, can't understand it...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 27, 2009, 11:48:55 AM

Once was in the middle of 05 though & he got back for the Tyrone game if I recall correctly. Pillar fawned all over Vaughan & others, yet in his major problem area (the fb line) he couldn't handle his only top quality option? Like I said, can't understand it...

He's also had a lot of other injuries in that period and was destroyed in the Tyrone replay so while he did the business in the league and against lesser opposition in '05 I don't think he's played enough games against top teams to be described as top-quality - potentially yeah - but not yet - if I were Gilroy I would have been playing him in the corner instead of Henry during the league ..

Gnevin

Quote from: Bensars on May 27, 2009, 11:33:25 AM
Dont think backs or forwards are the problem. As panels go it would be fairly healthy.

Where dublin have the problem is between the ears. Phsycologically they have'nt  been able to make the  breakthrough, threw away healthy leads and in the face of adversity capitulated.

Although its great that they are defeating Mayo in a friendly, they still have to cope once the media bandwagon starts, and when they face championship oppisition outside of Leinster
Forwards win games ,backs lose them

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on May 27, 2009, 12:33:25 PM

He's also had a lot of other injuries in that period and was destroyed in the Tyrone replay so while he did the business in the league and against lesser opposition in '05 I don't think he's played enough games against top teams to be described as top-quality - potentially yeah - but not yet - if I were Gilroy I would have been playing him in the corner instead of Henry during the league ..

Would agree with most of that, hence my surprise at his actual game time since...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 27, 2009, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 27, 2009, 12:33:25 PM

Would agree with most of that, hence my surprise at his actual game time since...

Gilroy is either going to turn out to be a master strategist and tactician or be found to be wearing the Emperor's new clothes all along - things needed to be changed after the Tyrone game but I'm baffled by a few decisions..

Jinxy

I never quite understood why people (especially non-dubs) made such a big deal out of O'Shaughnessy.
Didn't even played a full season in '05 and got roasted by Eoin Mulligan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.