Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckieran

QuoteI don't think it will be sold out- recession and all that. People may laugh but I think about 70k will be the attendance.

70k would be a damn good attendance for a first round championship game

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on May 21, 2009, 11:21:32 AM
Quote from: mckieran on May 21, 2009, 10:21:53 AM
Will croke park be sold out for these games?

I don't think it will be sold out- recession and all that. People may laugh but I think about 70k will be the attendance.

In fairness though, it's not like any of us will have to pay for accomodation or much in the way of travel costs.
Everyone I know that normally goes to games is definitely going to this.
I think if we have a few days good weather in the run-up to the game it could have a big influence on ticket sales.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

meathie

Cant wait for this game, think it'll be the same ol d between the old rivals, never know what the outcome will be. I reckon it'll deff sell out or if not damn close to it. Meath v Dublin first round? who wont want to see it!

thejuice

€25 for two games is a bargain these days and you dont get that kind of value anywhere else. I'm flying home for it and bringing a few Sasanach along with me to the game too.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on May 21, 2009, 01:58:37 PM
€25 for two games is a bargain these days and you dont get that kind of value anywhere else. I'm flying home for it and bringing a few Sasanach along with me to the game too.

Just make sure they know the good guys are wearing green!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

They'll know by the colours they'll be told to wear on the day  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Declan

QuoteJust make sure they know the good guys are wearing green!

Good me arse!!!

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on May 21, 2009, 01:58:37 PM

Hopefull the weather will be good- looking forward to it.

thejuice

From the Chronicle

QuoteKerry 1-18, Meath 1-16

Meath lost out to Kerry in a very competitive SF challenge at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney on Friday evening with a number of players making a return to action after spells out through injury.

One of those who turned out in what is the most recent chapter in a long-running saga to regain full fitness was Nobber's Brian Farrell who helped himself to three points. He gave what was described as an "impressive" display before he was substituted as a precaution.

Nigel Crawford who has been sidelined for the past few weeks with a hamstring injury lined out at midfield with Mark Ward. Both players slotted over a point apiece. Crawford and Ward were said to have competed well against a Kerry midfield that included Darragh O Se.

At full-back Anthony Moyles had a tough test against Tommy Walsh, but did well in containing the giant Kerry full-forward while Niall McKeigue also had a impressive outing in the Meath defence.

The visitors led for lengthy spells and it was only in the closing stages that Kerry racked up the points for victory.

Meath's top scorer was Cian Ward who notched up seven points and played well while Brian Sheridan did his cause no harm when he came on as a substitute and contributed 1-1.

Stephen Bray, with two points, and a McKeigue effort that split the posts, made up Meath's tally.

The Meath team had a more familiar look about it than in recent challenges against Galway and Leitrim when a large number of player on the fringe of the panel were utilised.

Kevin Reilly made the trip to Kerry however, he did not play as he is still recovering from an injury while Cormac McGill and David Bray are other players on the injured list. The Kerry game was played behind closed doors and the following day, Saturday, Meath returned to the famous stadium for a training session.

Meath - P O'Rourke; S Sheridan, A Moyles, E Harrington; S Kenny, N McKeigue (0-1), C McGuinness; M Ward (0-1), N Crawford (0-1); S McAnarney, C Ward (0-7), B Meade; S Bray (0-2), C King, B Farrell (0-3). Sub - B Sheridan (1-1) for Farrell.

Funny there's no comment of the position of King in the forwards.

QuoteInjury list a major problem for Meath

Eamonn O'Brien insists Meath are on schedule in their preparations for the eagerly awaited Leinster SFC first round clash with Dublin on Sunday, 7th June despite a number of defeats in recent challenge games.

The Meath manager brought a panel of players down south to Killarney for a challenge game against Jack O'Connor's newly crowned NFL Div 1 champions on Friday evening.

However, Kerry showed little hospitality on the field of play as they recorded a 1-18 to 1-16 victory against the Royal County.

The loss to the Kingdom follows recent setbacks against Galway and Leitrim although in all these games there has been a very experimental look to the Meath teams.

"You would like to be winning all your games, but at the same time it is not the main objective," O'Brien told the Meath Chronicle.

"The objective is to get games into guys before the Dublin match, but challenge games are not the same as competition.

"We are using them to get fellows attuned to football, that's the main objective. We're on schedule, but you would like to have the full deck to play from."

One of the most encouraging aspects of Meath's display against Kerry was the appearance of a number of players who are on their way back from injuries.

"The whole objective of the exercise was to give players a run out. We got a few players out and gave them some football, but we didn't risk any of them too much as they are still recovering," said O'Brien. "Kevin Reilly is out, but he should be okay, Brian Farrell got 30 minutes football into him, the same as Nigel Crawford, but we couldn't risk them any more than that, Cormac McGuinness the same, we have to nurse them along. We couldn't risk them for a full game."

O'Brien will be happy to see the return of some of the more experienced members of his squad especially as in recent months there have been up to nine or 10 players on the injured list, a high percentage of them with hamstring problems. Cormac McGill and David Bray are the main injury concerns a this stage.

Meath trained on Saturday in Killarney before returning home on Sunday.

The Leinster SFC clash against Dublin will be televised live on RTE, but ticket information will be available this week from Meath Co Committee and family tickets for the double-header at Croke Park, Dublin will also play Antrim in the Leinster SHC, are available from Leinster Council.

Meath supporters will have plenty of opportunities to see some inter-county action of the knock-out variety at Pairc Tailteann over the next week or so.

Meath minor football manager Pat Coyle will be bidding to plot a way to the Leinster semi-final when his team face Westmeath in Navan on Saturday, 2.0 and the following Wednesday the junior footballers will be in action. Following last Wednesday's victory over Wexford in the Leinster JFC, Kit Henry's side will face Longford at Pairc Tailteann on Wednesday, 23rd May, 7.30.

All guaranteed to whet the appetitite ahead of the Croke Park showdown next month

meathie

My biggest worry is still our two  back lines. Apart from Moyles and McKeigue I still think we are shakey in this area. an open pitch like Croke Park with the Dubs running at us will tell alot. I still do not rate Kevin Reilly, hope he proves me wrong this year but Ive never had confidence in him. theres deff a big hole there with Fay gone. On saying that Im always optimistic going into a Meath Dublin  game, you never know what can happen and if we can get a game or two under our belts we might just shake a few things up this year!

INDIANA

our weakest area as well. could be very high scoring I'd say.

Hound

Did Reilly get a ban for his altercation in a club game recently?

Dublin team named for challenge tonight v Mayo (Naomh Mearnog 8pm)

S Cluxton
D Henry, D Bastick, A Hubbard
P Griffin, G Brennan, B Cahill
C Whelan, D Magee
P Flynn, R McConnell, D Connolly
C Keaney, M Davoren, A Brogan

Coming very close to showing our hand. That won't be our starting line-up v Meath, but it won't be far away.

Then we have our final challenge v Down in Carryduff on Sunday (3.0) .

INDIANA

Keep an ear out for  the radio Hound- distinct possibility that game could be called off if it rains much today.

meathie

The ban for Reilly wouldnt make a difference for the game, he's still eligible, that doesnt mean they have to select him of course!

INDIANA

dublin beat mayo 0-14 to 0-12 tonight. Not too inspiring all round O believe. Dublin made 15 subs at ht so what value the game was worth is debatable. Mayo led all the way till the last 10mins. Didn't get there myself due to work, but fairly insipid anyway like most challenge games.