Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Challenge games are hard to read. We've lost all of ours but we haven't had a full side out. I'm of the belief you should be try9ing to win challenge matches close to the championship itself- I wouldn't worry about them in the early stages of the league or 5-6 weeks out from a championship game- but 2-3 weeks beforehand I would be concerned if the team still wasn't playing well at least.

Jinxy

Yeah, we've all seen teams that were "going well in challenges" getting dumped on their ass in the first round.
The championship is a different beast altogether.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Challenge matches at IC level are strange because you are trying to work on things but you don't want to show your hand to either the opposition or possible 'spies' that may be watching you from your championship opponents. Therefore it is impossible to read anything into them, in all probablity you are not going to play your first 15 and you won't use any of your tactics in them, so they are primarily for giving lads a run rather than a tune up game for championship.

INDIANA

I don't entirely agree- If you're that worried about spies then  you're probably not good enough anyway. I know Jack O Connor doesn't care who's watching them he just worries about his own team. Realisitically the amount of video anlaysis done these days the secrets are few and far between. Could just do a tyrone on it and not play them at all. I would be concerned about Dublin's form at the minute- hoping to see something at the weekend that will lead me to believe otherwise.
Dublin and meath will be tight either way regardless of challenge games or form. 1995 was the only abberation to that.

Declan

QuoteDublin and meath will be tight either way regardless of challenge games or form. 1995 was the only abberation to that.

100% correct there Indiana - As I said I have a sneaky feeling the Royals are due a win

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 19, 2009, 03:24:37 PM
I don't entirely agree- If you're that worried about spies then  you're probably not good enough anyway. I know Jack O Connor doesn't care who's watching them he just worries about his own team. Realisitically the amount of video anlaysis done these days the secrets are few and far between. Could just do a tyrone on it and not play them at all. I would be concerned about Dublin's form at the minute- hoping to see something at the weekend that will lead me to believe otherwise.

Simply not true Indiana, Kerry do it as well if you want to see how a team is going and what they are about go to a training session, challenge matches are worth little and tell you nothing about a team.

INDIANA

I've been to about 7 training sessions at this stage- and I'd still be concerned - same old problems to me still arising and they are manifesting itself in the matches they have played to date both in the NFL and the challenge game circuit. If challenge games were completely pointless no-one would play them.
They have value but only to a certain extent but to say they no value is illogical in my opinion.

INDIANA

Quote from: Declan on May 19, 2009, 04:21:56 PM
QuoteDublin and meath will be tight either way regardless of challenge games or form. 1995 was the only abberation to that.

100% correct there Indiana - As I said I have a sneaky feeling the Royals are due a win

I agree- we'll be unbackable going into this match. Its still a lot of the players from 2 years ago involved on both sides when they probably should have beaten us. going to be very tight.

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 19, 2009, 04:29:29 PM
I've been to about 7 training sessions at this stage- and I'd still be concerned - same old problems to me still arising and they are manifesting itself in the matches they have played to date both in the NFL and the challenge game circuit. If challenge games were completely pointless no-one would play them.
They have value but only to a certain extent but to say they no value is illogical in my opinion.

Well of course they have some value but Tyrone have done ok without playing them and I feel their primary goal is to give lads a run. Without going off topic too much, it is another reason why I feel we should link the league and championship, we have too many games that are basically shadow boxing and challenge games are the worst form of this. At club level challenge games can serve a purpose as you can work on kickouts etc. but at IC level managers are worried about showing their hand so they are of limited value.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on May 19, 2009, 03:24:37 PM
I know Jack O Connor doesn't care who's watching them he just worries about his own team.

Most IC managers would love to have what Jack has at his disposal - maybe he doesn't need to worry about  spies due to the available resources..

Jinxy

If Farrell is fully fit I think we've a great chance. I'd love to see him get a few games under his belt this season because he's had a rough time with injury. When he's fit and playing well he's our no. 1 forward IMHO.

mckieran

Will croke park be sold out for these games?

Jinxy

mckieran

hmm, I might go if I can get a ticket. Always wanted to go to a Dublin-Meath gane. The hurling on beforehand makes it very appealing too. I wonder are other neutrals thinking like me??

INDIANA

Quote from: mckieran on May 21, 2009, 10:21:53 AM
Will croke park be sold out for these games?

I don't think it will be sold out- recession and all that. People may laugh but I think about 70k will be the attendance.