Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Don't think there will be a full house...... 65k-70k maybe. Wouldn't go in myself but for the hurling. We (the Dubs) have flattered (only to deceive later )in Leinster these last few years and I would prefer if we are not to win the AI this year ( a near certainty) that an early exit be preferable. If we are to exit let it be in the qualifiers, or if we are to progress let it be through the qualifiers also.

Having said that imo if Keaney, the 2 Brogans play well and our half back line tightens up it will take a good team to beat us. Also need Connolly playing well ( a big ask).

Would also ask any fellow posters to point out specific incidents / facts when they spout on about Dublin's "overconfidence" etc etc. A complete barstool myth imo.

INDIANA

Dublins perceived overconfidence only exists among the fair weather fans. The people on the ground are very realistic about exactly where Dublin stand.

Bensars

Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2009, 01:10:25 PM
Dublins perceived overconfidence only exists among the fair weather fans. The people on the ground are very realistic about exactly where Dublin stand.

Understandable after years collapse, however, if Dublin turn someone over in Leinster you would see the initial reservation/expectation change completley.

Just waiting for the media machine to crank into action.

Jinxy

Quote from: Canalman on May 18, 2009, 01:03:34 PM
Don't think there will be a full house...... 65k-70k maybe. Wouldn't go in myself but for the hurling. We (the Dubs) have flattered (only to deceive later )in Leinster these last few years and I would prefer if we are not to win the AI this year ( a near certainty) that an early exit be preferable. If we are to exit let it be in the qualifiers, or if we are to progress let it be through the qualifiers also.

Having said that imo if Keaney, the 2 Brogans play well and our half back line tightens up it will take a good team to beat us. Also need Connolly playing well ( a big ask).

Would also ask any fellow posters to point out specific incidents / facts when they spout on about Dublin's "overconfidence" etc etc. A complete barstool myth imo.

Why wouldn't you?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Some supporter you are, you wouldn't go only for the hurling is it? This is the same team that has won 4 Leinster titles in a row, were beaten generally by the team that won the AI and are playing in one of the biggest local derbies in Irish sport, under new management and they aren't worthy of your support why?

To be honest coming from a county that has never enjoyed any real footballing success and is unlikely to do so in my lifetime, I'm a bit sick of the ease with which some Dublin supporters throw their toys out of the pram and won't go to some Dublin games.

Gnevin

Quote from: Zulu on May 18, 2009, 01:25:35 PM

Some supporter you are, you wouldn't go only for the hurling is it? This is the same team that has won 4 Leinster titles in a row, were beaten generally by the team that won the AI and are playing in one of the biggest local derbies in Irish sport, under new management and they aren't worthy of your support why?

To be honest coming from a county that has never enjoyed any real footballing success and is unlikely to do so in my lifetime, I'm a bit sick of the ease with which some Dublin supporters throw their toys out of the pram and won't go to some Dublin games.
Agree Dublin and Meath will be a humdinger and why any would would want to skip it is beyond me .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Logan

Quote from: Bensars on May 18, 2009, 01:14:16 PM

Understandable after years collapse, however, if Dublin turn someone over in Leinster you would see the initial reservation/expectation change completley.

This is a big problem for Dublin IMO

Gnevin

Quote from: Logan on May 18, 2009, 01:29:27 PM
Quote from: Bensars on May 18, 2009, 01:14:16 PM

This is a big problem for Dublin IMO
We are back to square 1. The media can talk their normal shite but I don't see many Dubs predicting being in Croker on September .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Declan

In the cyclical nature of things I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Royals win this one

Logan

I think Mickey Whelan is a good coach, that Moyna lad is a clown, and Gilroy is untested yet ... We'll see on the first day what happens.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on May 18, 2009, 01:20:52 PM

Why wouldn't you?
Aye, that's ridiculous.

You could never miss Dublin v Meath. No doubt it will light up the championship again this year after the dour foul fest in Clones the previous week.

Jinxy

Quote from: Declan on May 18, 2009, 01:33:16 PM
In the cyclical nature of things I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Royals win this one

Don't start!

thejuice

QuoteDonaghmore/AshbourneGAA are holding a preview night with PJ Moran (LMfm) compering with a panel of legends(to be named) from both sides discussing the match, championship and past battles with video footage; followed by music & craic, should be a great night ! Saturday 6th June
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BeanPháidín

Been checking up on Meath's progress ahead of first round clash to see how their shaping up. According to their HS forum they've gotten hidings from Leitrim and Galway and then only lost by 2 points to Kerry who had 11 of the All-Ireland starting team plus Galvin playing.

Find it strange that I cannot find any mention of this game anywhere else. Is there any truth in it Meath fans? Where did the sudden improvement come from?

Jinxy

Well, I didn't see the team for the Leitrim game but there was a round of the club championship on that weekend so I dunno where they got players from. I'd say there weren't many regulars in action. As for the Galway game, that was a fairly weak line-up too.
The team that played Kerry is the closest I've seen yet to our championship 15, albeit with some players being played out of position.