Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on May 05, 2009, 03:08:29 PM

Decent game on sunday - made all the sweeter by an ogs steward letting me slip in for nothing!

Armagh played some nice football with the strong breeze in the first half. with marty o'rourke, stevie and duffy all linking well.
vernon was competing hard around the middle but he had no help from McKenna, who looked intimidated by whelan.
disappointed with forker, who made good runs and got into good positions but could not old onto the ball.

full back line was solid, although donaghy made a lot of errors in possession. mallon was great.
rafferty bombed forward well but, again, hasn't any defensive awareness at all. ak did his usual job and wasneat and tidy. harte will have a plan for him come the 31st. McKeever had a poor first 20 mins - seemed not to know what his instructions were. eventually when he dropped off the roaming brogan he picked up a lot of loose ball and tightened everything up ithink brogan scored 5 o dublin's 6 first half points.

for dublin, they seemed to lack any sort of structure or plan. lally started wing back on duffy and got roasted. cullen couldn't get near o'rourke and the poor corner back on McDonnell got an awful lesson too. whelan dominated midfield for long periods and looks to be moving well. not sure abot ross mcconnell. alan brogan had a good first half and lally did well when he was moved to wing forward.

am i rght in thinking about 10 / 11 of that dublin team will start in the championship?

the second half was a bit of a farce with the entire team changed. overal it was a good run out but definitely lacked bite.
terrible news on big charlie. best wishes to the fella. 

Was the corner back Hubbard or O Carroll Gaa-just as a matter of interest. Presume it was O Carroll?

The GAA

Hubbard is the wee small fella? he wasn't on stevie. taller dark haired fella had that dubious task, so i assume that's o'carroll?

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on May 05, 2009, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: The GAA on May 05, 2009, 03:08:29 PM

Decent game on sunday - made all the sweeter by an ogs steward letting me slip in for nothing!

Armagh played some nice football with the strong breeze in the first half. with marty o'rourke, stevie and duffy all linking well.
vernon was competing hard around the middle but he had no help from McKenna, who looked intimidated by whelan.
disappointed with forker, who made good runs and got into good positions but could not old onto the ball.

full back line was solid, although donaghy made a lot of errors in possession. mallon was great.
rafferty bombed forward well but, again, hasn't any defensive awareness at all. ak did his usual job and wasneat and tidy. harte will have a plan for him come the 31st. McKeever had a poor first 20 mins - seemed not to know what his instructions were. eventually when he dropped off the roaming brogan he picked up a lot of loose ball and tightened everything up ithink brogan scored 5 o dublin's 6 first half points.

for dublin, they seemed to lack any sort of structure or plan. lally started wing back on duffy and got roasted. cullen couldn't get near o'rourke and the poor corner back on McDonnell got an awful lesson too. whelan dominated midfield for long periods and looks to be moving well. not sure abot ross mcconnell. alan brogan had a good first half and lally did well when he was moved to wing forward.

am i rght in thinking about 10 / 11 of that dublin team will start in the championship?

the second half was a bit of a farce with the entire team changed. overal it was a good run out but definitely lacked bite.
terrible news on big charlie. best wishes to the fella. 

Was the corner back Hubbard or O Carroll Gaa-just as a matter of interest. Presume it was O Carroll?

Both played

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on May 05, 2009, 04:50:13 PM

Hubbard is the wee small fella? he wasn't on stevie. taller dark haired fella had that dubious task, so i assume that's o'carroll?

Yeah thats him. Year too early for Rory. He will be good in time. Christ can't believe they made him debut on Mc Donnell. Silly . I mean he's never started for Dublin before and he's only 20.

INDIANA

meath lost to galway last night 2-20 to 1-14. Meehan got about 2-5 from play. Meath weren't missing a huge amount-probably underlines the threat of galway this year.

Zulu

Galway's midfield will be their undoing this year but I also feel PJ will have a poor summer, with the harder ground and the higher pace of championship football I feel his age will begin to show, that and the fact opposition teams will target himself and Meehan as the two lads to stop will result in a tough time for both himself and Galway. Might still win Connacht but provincial championships are an irrelevance at this stage.

thejuice

I'd still be delighted to win Leinster.

Dissappointed about that result, even against Galway who I rate highly, letting by 2-20 doesnt bode well, though I guess perhaps it might not have been played at championship intensity.

Someone mentioned that Alan Brogans injured on Hoganstand, any truth in it.

edit** We apparently lost to Leitrim 0-12 to 0-5. How in the name of f u c k did we manage that. Christ I hope Eamonn is saving something for Dublin, otherwise I feel we are going to be made sh!t of by the Dubs.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

The club championship was on at the weekend Juice so there were very few regulars available for the Leitrim game as far as I know.
Dunno what sort of a team we had out against Galway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: thejuice on May 07, 2009, 04:07:49 PM

He played the full whack against Armagh on Sunday - I was talking to a Dublin player last night and he didn't mention anything - I'd be surprised if it were true..

thejuice

Quote from: heffo on May 07, 2009, 04:26:47 PM

He played the full whack against Armagh on Sunday - I was talking to a Dublin player last night and he didn't mention anything - I'd be surprised if it were true..

I think someone on Hoganstand got their wires crossed. James Brogan broke his leg in a club game. Alan I believe is fine.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

james is gone for the rest of the year-horrible injury last friday-best of luck to his recovery. the other 2 are fine. If anything happens to either its goodnight irene for Dublin.

Hound

edit** We apparently lost to Leitrim 0-12 to 0-5. How in the name of f u c k did we manage that. Christ I hope Eamonn is saving something for Dublin, otherwise I feel we are going to be made sh!t of by the Dubs.
Ah, I think there's another battle going on. Who can lose the most challenge matches between the NFL and the big game in June.

So far the Dubs on top 3-2 I think!
Not sure if there's any truth in the rumour that you get a bonus point for getting whacked by Leitrim...

thejuice

Meath team that faced Gaillimh:

QuoteP O'Rourke;
S Sheridan, A Moyles, N McKeigue;
S Kenny, C King (0-1), D Flood (0-2);

M Ward (0-2), B Meade;

S McAnarney, C Ward (0-2), P Byrne (1-2);
S Bray, S McKeigue, J Queeney.

Subs:
J Sheridan (0-1) for C Ward,
A Collins for S McKeigue,
D Sheridan for Meade,
B Sheridan (0-4, two frees) for Queeney,
R Maguire for Bray.

Out With Injury: Nigel Crawford, Brian Farrell, Cormac McGill, Cormac McGuinness.

Other commitments: Eoghan Harrington

Wouldnt like to face the Dubs without Nigel Crawford. Good to see Brian Sheridan getting some scores though, we might need him.

Jinxy

That's a pretty weak team to be honest so I wouldn't be distraught over the result.
Good to see Peadar is going well.
Moyles and Kenny are the only defenders that started the last couple of league games, so bearing in mind we had a completely new full-back line I can understand why we shipped a big score.
Glad to see King being tried at centre back too.
Not bothered about winning these challenges, the key thing is to get the best 15 on the field for the Dublin game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

45GoneShort

I'd still be delighted to win Leinster.

Dissappointed about that result, even against Galway who I rate highly, letting by 2-20 doesnt bode well, though I guess perhaps it might not have been played at championship intensity.

If it makes you feel any better, Leitrim were only at half strength.   :)