Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I'd say they know more than they are letting on Indiana, I'd be very surprised if they don't know their spine by now but just aren't showing it in these type of games. The main problem they have is they haven't found a center back which means they'll have to go with Griffiin, Bastic full back, Whelan/McConnell midfield, center forward? I don't know and Keaney in full. I'm sure they are working on things in training that you aren't seeing in challenge games and I reckon Dublin will be ok in Leinster, and like you say this years qualifiers will be no place to ease a team into action.

Jinxy

Griffin is a bit light for centre-back is he not?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

I think he lacks a lot for a center back but i don't see anyone else for the job, Cullen would be my next choice, well maybe my first but I don't see Gilroy playing him there. You can't play Brennen there as he provides absolutely no structure and would only result in a defensively non-existent half back line for Dublin. Meath have their own problems in the back 6 would you not agree Jinxy?

INDIANA

I wouldn't be making those assumptions Zulu- Brennan is very much in the frame for 6- he was playing there today for a good while. Griffin and Cullen played there yesterday.- not to any great effect I believe. The interchanging of people is so constant that its impossible to say whats what at this stage. But we'd want to get some shape on it soon. 11 is the other problem position as is 14 as they don't seem to want to play keaney there. He's down with the mumps anyway.

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2009, 10:25:02 PM
I think he lacks a lot for a center back but i don't see anyone else for the job, Cullen would be my next choice, well maybe my first but I don't see Gilroy playing him there. You can't play Brennen there as he provides absolutely no structure and would only result in a defensively non-existent half back line for Dublin. Meath have their own problems in the back 6 would you not agree Jinxy?

Defensively we've been quite good once we got over the first couple of league games.
It's a bit different though in the wide open spaces of Croker.
We'll be playing at least one wing forward in a purely defensive role I'd say, similar to what Westmeath have been doing.
Frustrate the likes of the Brogans & Keaney, don't concede any goals and turn it into a war of attrition I'd say would be the plan.

Zulu

I think that is a flawed tactic that no longer works at IC level, although Jack O'Connor recently said he feels football has gone very defensive and that a 1-10 to 1-12 scoreline is now common, I disagree. I think we are moving into a more attack-minded period and the focus will be on creating scores rather than preventing them, anyway dropping a wing forward back when you turn over the ball is easy to do and doesn't require a forward to constantly play a defensive role.

Jinxy

Maybe it was just a league thing due to the personnel available. If our 2 starting wing forwards are Byrne and Nestor for example it will be more attack minded than if it is Meade and McAnarney, which it was for a few games in the league. It'll probably be a mixture for championship.
Personally I don't think it suits our style of play to be overly defensive.
However, there has to be a happy medium between overly defensive and losing a 10-point lead to Wexford!

Hound

Quote from: micka the dub on April 26, 2009, 09:18:37 PM
is moyles playing full back for plunketts,id say the lads down there are keeping a close eye on each other
Moyles and Ross O'Connell were the Plunketts midfield partnership for their 10 point championship win over Raheny last Friday.

Its worrying that Keaney has the mumps. A lot of that going around it seems. I hear it took a helluva lot out of Cha Fitz and he's still not 100% right.

INDIANA

The good thing that came out of the weekend is that the brogans appear to be over their hamstring injuries and are playing well. Our chances solely reside on their form and injury status. Lose either and its end game.

thejuice

I think our biggest concern as I've said about 100 times during the league is that our forwards have either been out injured or just off form. Bray has only shown glimpses of his 2007 form, C Ward has done really well, Joe has not really been playing much, Farrell is still in recovery. Hard to know how these lads will improve in the meantime with club games and challenges.

Defenisvely we're solid enough but not that special. Croker might stretch us.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

A few interesting statistics;

Not to be putting the pressure on Mr. Gilroy and the boys in Blue, first year in charge and all that but Dublin have never gone a decade without winning the All-Ireland. Could the 00's be the first time?

Another thing to note, the last few recessions were accompanied by a heat wave, 1976, 1983 and 1995. What else did those years correlate with?

Just as well I ain't superstitious  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The GAA

Decent game on sunday - made all the sweeter by an ogs steward letting me slip in for nothing!

Armagh played some nice football with the strong breeze in the first half. with marty o'rourke, stevie and duffy all linking well.
vernon was competing hard around the middle but he had no help from McKenna, who looked intimidated by whelan.
disappointed with forker, who made good runs and got into good positions but could not old onto the ball.

full back line was solid, although donaghy made a lot of errors in possession. mallon was great.
rafferty bombed forward well but, again, hasn't any defensive awareness at all. ak did his usual job and wasneat and tidy. harte will have a plan for him come the 31st. McKeever had a poor first 20 mins - seemed not to know what his instructions were. eventually when he dropped off the roaming brogan he picked up a lot of loose ball and tightened everything up ithink brogan scored 5 o dublin's 6 first half points.

for dublin, they seemed to lack any sort of structure or plan. lally started wing back on duffy and got roasted. cullen couldn't get near o'rourke and the poor corner back on McDonnell got an awful lesson too. whelan dominated midfield for long periods and looks to be moving well. not sure abot ross mcconnell. alan brogan had a good first half and lally did well when he was moved to wing forward.

am i rght in thinking about 10 / 11 of that dublin team will start in the championship?

the second half was a bit of a farce with the entire team changed. overal it was a good run out but definitely lacked bite.
terrible news on big charlie. best wishes to the fella. 

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on May 05, 2009, 03:08:29 PM

am i rght in thinking about 10 / 11 of that dublin team will start in the championship?

More like 8/9

The GAA

cuxton, bastic, cullen, griffen, whelan, mcconnell, brogan, flynn, jayo?

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on May 05, 2009, 03:29:42 PM

cuxton, bastic, cullen, griffen, whelan, mcconnell, brogan, flynn, jayo?

Clux, Bastic, Hubbard, Griffin, Whelan, Brogan are definite starters v Meath

Half backs will be two from Cullen/Cahill/Brennan

Other midfield will be McConnell/Magee or Ryan as an impact sub - Fennell only back training recently and hasn't trained or played with his club all year so I don't expect to see him play for Dublin until thats sorted

Keaney, 2 x Brogans (if fit) and Connolly are the definites up front - that leaves two from Bonner, Flynn, Cullen (he may be accomodated here), Quinn, Vaughan etc etc

There has been so much chopping and changing it's impossible to be sure..