Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Theres reports that we might be missing a few to suspension after a 'brawl' between Navan O'Mahony's and Senchelstown at the weekend. Kevin Reilly got a straight red, for punching its rumoured. Not sure how much of a brawl it was. From pics I saw it looked like  vast the majority were peace keeping with maybe 4 at the most fighting. Anyway we'll see what happens. Hopefully the County Board will do the decent thing and let everyone off with a slap on the wrist.  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hound

Well Dublin's build up didnt get off to a great start, with a defeat to Louth at Carton House last Friday. Only a very limited report on the DCB site which said that Shane Ryan was to the forefront as Dublin built up a 4 point lead after 20 minutes. But the introduction of Paddy Keenan saw Louth dominate from then on, and it took a late Barry Cahill goal to put a bit of respectability on the scoreboard. And Jason Sherlock is back on the panel - although I'd say there'll be a cut coming shortly.

Louth 1-15 Dublin 2-9

Dublin team:
M Savage
P Conlon, P Casey, S OShaughnessy
A Hubbard, B Cullen (0-1), D Murray (0-1)
C Daly, S Ryan (0-1)
J Brogan, T Diamond, K Bonner (1-0)
J Sherlock (0-1), M Davoren, T Quinn (0-3, 2f)
Subs used: L Og Ó hEineachain, M Vaughan, E Fennell, B Cahill (1-0), G Brennan, P Burke (0-2), D Henry.

Upcoming challenge games:
Sunday, May 17 (4.30pm) Dublin v Kerry at Grangemockler, Tipperary
Friday, May 22 (8pm) Dublin v Mayo at Naomh Mearnóg

INDIANA

was at it hound-some setup in carton house. as good as croker.

Declan

Excellent choice in my opinion

Griffin named senior football captain
Following on from the recent National League Campaign, the Dublin Senior Football management have appointed Paul Griffin (Kilmacud Crokes) as captain of the team in 2009. Barry Cahill (St Brigids) has been appointed as vice-captain.
Twenty five year old Paul Griffin has been a member of the Dublin Senior Football panel for seven years. In that time he has won five Leinster Senior Championships as well as one U21 All Ireland. He recently played a pivotal role in Kilmacud Crokes winning of the All Ireland Club title and he has two Leinster club victories alongside three Dublin Championship successes. Paul is a Chartered Physiotherapist working in the National Rehabilitation Clinic in Dun Laoghaire. He graduated as a physiotherapist in UCD.
Barry Cahill made his debut on the Dublin Senior Football panel in 2001. The 27 year old has won five Leinster Senior Championships as well as one U21 Leinster title. He was awarded an All Star in 2007 as well as getting picked on the GPA team of the year in that same year. He has two Railway Cup medals.
Playing with his club, St Brigids, he has one Leinster Club championship and one Dublin Club Championship. Barry is a Sales Executive with Malley Sports Ltd. He graduated with a Finance degree from NUI Maynooth and a H Dip in Computer Science from UCD.

Dublin manager Pat Gilroy stated that: "Both players have huge respect within the squad and it was apparent to the management team that Paul and Barry were natural leaders within the group. Throughout their careers, they have been exemplary players for Dublin, constantly raising the bar for the team and I have no doubt that they will continue to drive forward in that regard."

On a regrettable note we confirm the retirement of Colin Moran (Ballyboden St Endas) from Dublin. Collie has put in a huge amount of work recently following a hip operation but unfortunately it became apparent that he was not going to be able to continue playing football.

Pat Gilroy stated that: "Collie was a great ambassador of all that is good in the GAA. He was always willing to put the team first and always did whatever was requested of him. I have only got to know Collie really well in the last six months but it was clear that he's one of those guys who everyone listened to and respected. It is no accident that he was captain of the team for a number of years. Since he started playing football for Dublin in 1998, he was always one of the players that you looked to in times of trouble.

"It is terrible that a young man of 28 has to retire from injury although I'm sure that Collie will look back on his career with huge pride. Anyone involved with Dublin over the years and all our supporters owe a huge debt to Collie and his family for the tremendous service he gave to the county on and off the pitch."

thejuice

Suspensions have been handed out for the brawl, and I dont mean the one in Ballymun. Kevin Reilly got 2 months along with cormac reilly & lee russell. Damian Sheridan got a month.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Is it wrong that I'm secretly relieved that Kevin Reilly will miss the Dublin game?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on April 26, 2009, 07:33:18 PM
Is it wrong that I'm secretly relieved that Kevin Reilly will miss the Dublin game?

I dont think he's all that bad. Not brilliant but who would you replace him with?

Jinxy

Well, he'd be a liability at full-back against the likes of either of the Brogans in the wide open spaces of Croke Park and Moyles is a better option at centre back.
If push came to shove I'd put Moyles full back and try King or McGuinness at centre back against Dublin.
I think the key to beating Dublin is not to concede goals and in my opinion we conceded 2 against Kildare as a direct result of Reillys mistakes.
Moyles might not be any pacier than Reilly, but I'd rather his wise head back there to keep an eye on things especially with a young goalkeeper making his championship debut.

micka the dub

is moyles playing full back for plunketts,id say the lads down there are keeping a close eye on each other

Jinxy

How are the challenge games going?
I know Dublin lost to Armagh (and are playing Monaghan today I think).
Haven't heard a peep about our lads playing challenges.
A game against Galway was mentioned but I couldn't say where or when it was on.

INDIANA

lost to monaghan today as well 2-11 to 2-9. I unfortunately was there. Basically no rhyme no reason to anything yet. Still trying out players all over ths shop. We were 2 down at the break having played into a wind but played badly in the 2nd half. Andrews was good today, the rest were ok but thats all. Monaghan were good but don't have enough class overall in my view.
Magee was good yesterday I believe. Heard Mc Donnell ran amok for Armagh.
Panel is too big in my view and I'm not sure they know what they are at. That was evidenced by Paddy andrews playing very well up front today for the first half,a nd then being moved to full back in the 2nd half. No sense to that Paddy is needed up front.
We're not going to win the all-ireland jinxy-that I can safely say.

Zulu

In fairness Indiana I think IC management teams are aware that their games may be watched by opposition 'spies' and they don't want to show their hands too much. In saying that I agree with you about management teams not playing the bones of their best 15 from being ridiculous. If I was the Dublin management I'd want to know my teams spine and where I'm going to play my main men and I'd be giving them game time in those positions. You need to work on your plan B's in these games also but it would be a concern if some pattern of play and basic team wasn't apparent at this stage.

Jinxy

We're not too sure of our spine at the moment either.
It'll probably be Reilly-Moyles-Ward-Crawford-Ward-Farrell (if fit).

Zulu

Well I think Meath are in more of a transition phase than Dublin Jinxy so ye probably won't know yer best 15 until well into championship. You've also had more injury problems than the Dubs so I don't think the team that takes the field June 7th will be yer best 15, I think Meath just need a solid championship this year rather than necessarily winning silverware. Yer at least 3 years away from being a serious team IMO.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2009, 08:49:19 PM
In fairness Indiana I think IC management teams are aware that their games may be watched by opposition 'spies' and they don't want to show their hands too much. In saying that I agree with you about management teams not playing the bones of their best 15 from being ridiculous. If I was the Dublin management I'd want to know my teams spine and where I'm going to play my main men and I'd be giving them game time in those positions. You need to work on your plan B's in these games also but it would be a concern if some pattern of play and basic team wasn't apparent at this stage.

the problem is Zulu that they still have a 39man panel and are kind of playing half a team in each of the 2 games like this weekend. Like there are at least 10 guys on that squad who have no chance. Its far too big still. Bastic will be number 3 - not sure about 6. Whelan plus one wil be midfield. Not sure about 11 or 14 either yet. I'm actually quite concerned after today. I mean the obvious part of any team is down the middle
I was prepared to give things the benefit of the doubt but I'm seriously beginning to wonder now. Armagh yesterday didn't have a full whack but they had 10/11 starters playing. I dunno anymore.
I don't think Dublin are going to make much of an effort in leinster, they are quite some way off the pace still. I think they are banking everything on the backdoor. Which could well work out- but with some big guns definitely in there early doors, you could come a cropper early on.