Meath Vs Dublin, 7th June 2009

Started by thejuice, April 15, 2009, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Dublin have built up a pretty good squad.
More depth on the bench than we have.
If the experimental rules go through, yellow cards could have a big say in this game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 17, 2009, 10:33:48 AM
This game should be great support for the main event vs Antrim.  I would encourage as many Dubs (and Meath hurlers) to go down for earlier for the hurling, should be a big day for both teams and should be a competitive match as both teams will think they have a good chance of winning, though I must admit on current form the Dubs should savage our boys.

As for the football, I fancy the Dubs.  They have talent coming out their ears but they suffer from two things, i)  The media always build them up with the "this is the Dubs year" and "The GAA needs Dubs to win an AI" stuff, a pressure that no other county has to suffer.  ii)  There is a perception that the Dubs have a "soft underbelly" and other teams step up the physical nature of their game gainst them.  While the Dubs can cope with a Westmeath or Offaly doing this when it comes to the teams that can be physical and play a bit of football they seem to suffer.

Have to pick you up on the "talent coming out of our ears". Sorry mate -you're way off- we don't.

As for the physical stuff- I would say that cost us an all-ireland in Pillar's reign. Had we been less siege mentality mind like- we might have got over the line.

Strength in depth- again hard to say. Strength in depth is only srength in depth if its championship proven of doing the business on an annual basis in the championship regularly. We don't have many in that category.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: INDIANA on April 17, 2009, 12:45:35 PM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 17, 2009, 10:33:48 AM
This game should be great support for the main event vs Antrim.  I would encourage as many Dubs (and Meath hurlers) to go down for earlier for the hurling, should be a big day for both teams and should be a competitive match as both teams will think they have a good chance of winning, though I must admit on current form the Dubs should savage our boys.

As for the football, I fancy the Dubs.  They have talent coming out their ears but they suffer from two things, i)  The media always build them up with the "this is the Dubs year" and "The GAA needs Dubs to win an AI" stuff, a pressure that no other county has to suffer.  ii)  There is a perception that the Dubs have a "soft underbelly" and other teams step up the physical nature of their game gainst them.  While the Dubs can cope with a Westmeath or Offaly doing this when it comes to the teams that can be physical and play a bit of football they seem to suffer.

Have to pick you up on the "talent coming out of our ears". Sorry mate -you're way off- we don't.

As for the physical stuff- I would say that cost us an all-ireland in Pillar's reign. Had we been less siege mentality mind like- we might have got over the line.

Strength in depth- again hard to say. Strength in depth is only srength in depth if its championship proven of doing the business on an annual basis in the championship regularly. We don't have many in that category.

Indiana, forgive me, you have to remember I'm using Antrim as the benchmark ;D
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Jinxy

Well more than likely Quinn, Sherlock, Ryan, Fennell and Vaughan will be on the bench.
All have plenty of championship experience (with the possible exception of Fennell I suppose).

DUBSFORSAM1

Indiana - Surely having a probably bench of Casey, Shaughnessy, Ryan, Cullen, McConnell/Magee, Fennell, Moran, Quinn, Vaughan, Sherlock, Flynn/Andrews is a far stronger bench than we have had in years??

INDIANA

How many of those players would Kerry and Tyrone want?

Jinxy

How many of Kerry and Tyrones subs would Dublin want?

INDIANA

Darren O Sullivan
Sean O Sullivan
Kieran O Leary
David Moran

All would be superstars playing for dublin.

I'd love us to have guys like raymond mulgrew,brian mc guigan, peter donnelly as well.

You have to factor in DSFM Casey and Shaughnessy are in the cold and won't be used this summer. Shocko may well be dropped at the weekend. Of that potential bench I'd only rate Fennell,Cullen, and Quinn. Andrews and mc Connell are shoe ins on the 15.

Jinxy

Tyrone would take Fennell and Ryan anyway. I dunno what Mulgrew and Donnelly would offer Dublin.
I'll give you the 2 O'Sullivans from Kerry but I dunno about O'Leary and I think Moran will start for them.

DuffleKing

What has happened to shane ryan's standing?

thejuice

Death of Meath legend McConnell

QuoteFriday, 17 April 2009 15:25
The death has taken place of the former Meath footballer Kevin McConnell at the age of 84.

McConnell was part of the great full-back line in a golden era for Meath football which saw the county win their first All-Ireland senior football title in 1949 and their second in 1954.

The Castletown native also won five Leinster medals, four Railway Cups, and two National League titles. In his club career, he won three Meath county championships with Syddan and an Intermediate title with his native Castletown.

Kevin McConnell's grandson, Ross, is a current member of the Dublin senior football squad.

RIP Kevin. My Dad was only born in '49 so as you can imagine I've little knowledge of these men other than what I've read and heard but I feel we owe a gratitude to the men who brought glory to the county no matter what era.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Gnevin

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:44:29 PM

What has happened to shane ryan's standing?
His type of game does look to fit into well with the type of game the new management are playing
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Canalman

I think also that Shane wasn't the fittest after Christmas and struggled to impress the new management.I wonder if the new mgt have done away with the high risk strategy of placing the kickouts near the sideline for Shane to get. As good as Cluxton is with kickouts a % of them will go straight over the sideline.

Zulu

Surely he is still a realistic candidate for midfield or wing back, he did win an all star last year so he has plenty to offer. I'd like to see him wing back for a few games, I think himself and Brennan could offer alot to dublin attack from wing back.

INDIANA

Doesn't look good Zulu. I really mean that. They don't fancy him. They want 2 high catching midfielders. He won't be selected anywhere else bar injuries. Hard to believe