Mayo League Review/Championship Preview 2009

Started by Barney, April 13, 2009, 09:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreverhopeful

not sure where barry kelly fits in, billie joe can do that no.10 role where JOM was playing kelly. I'd even play david heaney at no.10 first.

kevmy

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 20, 2009, 12:16:25 PM
I don't think any of those three are coming back either Kevmy. I'm not sure if Campbell and Conroy have any issues of their own that they might have to address first, and that's up to themselves. Nobody has to do this, maybe they have other things in their lives, and that's all fair enough. Good luck to them.

McDonald is a different story. And again, I would ask the question why Johnno was willing to make this great effort for David Brady and not for McDonald.

Of course, the other question is how much of an effort was made to keep Brady going after 2006. That was only one year after Johnno was going to camp outside his house. I rated Brady; I know a lot didn't. I thought he added a warrior spirit. Hard to believe a man goes so quickly over the hill.

I see the same warrior spirit in Aidan O'Shea, actually. It was one of the few heartening aspects in Longford on Saturday. But looking at the bigger picture, it is a fact that Mayo do not utilise their player resources to their fullest extent, and haven't down through the years. Maybe it's time to start wondering why that is.

I'd agree with a lot of that but I'd like to believe we'll see Aidan Campbell again at some stage.

Mac is pretty much gone as far as togging out for Mayo is concerned I'd say. Even if he was asked back he's injured at the moment and would be unlikely get up to speed after returning.

Agree with you about Brady being a very good player and the warrior spirit but I'm not sure how much he had left in the tank. He had a lot of injuries down through the years and I couldn't have seen him play more than 35 mins at midfield.

Completely agree about O'Sé too me it's his work rate that sets him apart. He's a big lad but always gives it every thing there are a lot of players with his talent who don't.

small white mayoman

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 20, 2009, 10:32:45 AM
Quote from: kevmy on April 20, 2009, 09:57:47 AM
Only real argument most people will have would be Aiden Higgins not in.

I'm still having trouble with Ciarán McDonald's continuing omission. Can't quite force myself to believe that all eleven of those forwards have more to contribute than he does.

The loss of players from underage to senior is another point of concern. Conroy and Campbell are the obvious losses. Will Kilcoyne be next? It's all very worrying.

i'm having a bit of difficulty with mc s ommission as well however it seems to be a taboo subject here. peter canavan in his column in the star (can any one copy and paste it) thought that mayo wouldn't be that far away this year but that we needed one quality defender and forward and that o' mahony should be in contact with the blond and have him back (we all know that won't happen) . He is definately playing went to watch belmullett play crossmolina in a challenge yesterday and he looked in good shape definately not injured. Is Keith Higgins back from Oz yet ??
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

kevmy

Oh well I heard he broke a bone in his foot a couple of weeks ago. He could have made a quick recovery I suppose

Keith was supposed to be back in April some stage so if he's not back already he won't be long

rosnarun

Quote from: kevmy on April 20, 2009, 03:09:24 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 20, 2009, 12:16:25 PM
I don't think any of those three are coming back either Kevmy. I'm not sure if Campbell and Conroy have any issues of their own that they might have to address first, and that's up to themselves. Nobody has to do this, maybe they have other things in their lives, and that's all fair enough. Good luck to them.

McDonald is a different story. And again, I would ask the question why Johnno was willing to make this great effort for David Brady and not for McDonald.

Of course, the other question is how much of an effort was made to keep Brady going after 2006. That was only one year after Johnno was going to camp outside his house. I rated Brady; I know a lot didn't. I thought he added a warrior spirit. Hard to believe a man goes so quickly over the hill.

I see the same warrior spirit in Aidan O'Shea, actually. It was one of the few heartening aspects in Longford on Saturday. But looking at the bigger picture, it is a fact that Mayo do not utilise their player resources to their fullest extent, and haven't down through the years. Maybe it's time to start wondering why that is.

I'd agree with a lot of that but I'd like to believe we'll see Aidan Campbell again at some stage.

Mac is pretty much gone as far as togging out for Mayo is concerned I'd say. Even if he was asked back he's injured at the moment and would be unlikely get up to speed after returning.

Agree with you about Brady being a very good player and the warrior spirit but I'm not sure how much he had left in the tank. He had a lot of injuries down through the years and I couldn't have seen him play more than 35 mins at midfield.

Completely agree about O'Sé too me it's his work rate that sets him apart. He's a big lad but always gives it every thing there are a lot of players with his talent who don't.

Mcdonald now brady?what nxt a campaign tpo bring Mcha;e back. he still pretty fit looking. anf you know Fat larry has got quiet abit thinnner  or at least not any fatter
I think we just have to except the good guys lost the argument on Mcdonald and support what we have.
esp now the new messiah is here
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

David Brady retired because of recurring injuries. He stopped playing football at any level, there was no question of him ever making himself available again, hence the reason why JOM didn't make more of an effort in trying to coax him back.

Mac is a different kettle of fish, but I'd (again) question the wisdom of bringing back someone of that age who's last inter county game was 2006.

Liam McHale and Anthony Finnerty's omission is nothing short of a disgrace and this all goes back to them stealing Sean Feeney's sandwiches after a Connacht Championship match in 1989

kevmy

Quote from: stephenite on April 23, 2009, 08:20:26 AM
David Brady retired because of recurring injuries. He stopped playing football at any level, there was no question of him ever making himself available again, hence the reason why JOM didn't make more of an effort in trying to coax him back.

Mac is a different kettle of fish, but I'd (again) question the wisdom of bringing back someone of that age who's last inter county game was 2006.

Liam McHale and Anthony Finnerty's omission is nothing short of a disgrace and this all goes back to them stealing Sean Feeney's sandwiches after a Connacht Championship match in 1989

True but I'd say Larry ate most of them!!

The flame still burns

Maughan stirs the McDonald pot - http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/11395

I've picked an alternative Mayo xv for my blog if anyone wants a gander - http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/

dodo

Nice work The Flame still burns, interesting selection. Maughan's piece in the advertiser is basically what most of us are thinking and also has the double effect of getting him cosy with McDonald for Cross. IMHO he goes easy on O'Mahony where he could cut loose a lot more, my recollection of Maughan's last tenure was not of O'Mahony sparing him in the media.

small white mayoman

Quote from: dodo on April 25, 2009, 12:34:33 AM
Nice work The Flame still burns, interesting selection. Maughan's piece in the advertiser is basically what most of us are thinking and also has the double effect of getting him cosy with McDonald for Cross. IMHO he goes easy on O'Mahony where he could cut loose a lot more, my recollection of Maughan's last tenure was not of O'Mahony sparing him in the media.

Very true dodo . what annoys me about the whole Mc D saga is not the fact that o' mahony has not picked him ( thats his choice as manager )  its just they way he got rid of him .It was plain to see in 2007 that he had no intention of using mc again sure he must have brought on 5 subs before he brought him on that day against derry. He should have just came out and stated that he wasn't in his plans end of story never mind all this nonsense of texting him to attemd a trial. Jimmy Nallen and David heaney weren't asked to attend a trial this year ,they were asked to attend a intercounty challenge match against Offally after the league campaign was over . if i recall Mcs interview all he wanted was to be told to his face where he stood, after giving so many years to mayo thats the least he deserved . 
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Farrandeelin

Quote from: small white mayoman on April 25, 2009, 11:24:15 AM

Very true dodo . what annoys me about the whole Mc D saga is not the fact that o' mahony has not picked him ( thats his choice as manager )  its just they way he got rid of him .It was plain to see in 2007 that he had no intention of using mc again sure he must have brought on 5 subs before he brought him on that day against derry. He should have just came out and stated that he wasn't in his plans end of story never mind all this nonsense of texting him to attemd a trial. Jimmy Nallen and David heaney weren't asked to attend a trial this year ,they were asked to attend a intercounty challenge match against Offally after the league campaign was over . if i recall Mcs interview all he wanted was to be told to his face where he stood, after giving so many years to mayo thats the least he deserved . 

Maybe McDonald didn't give him a no 1 preference in the elections in 2007. :o
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: small white mayoman on April 25, 2009, 11:24:15 AM

You are spot on, I think.
I haven't come across a better analysis of the whole sorry saga.
Yes, it was O'Mahony's right to select his panel and his right alone but rights bring responsibilities with them and the Messiah could have acted in a more straightforward and competent manner. He should have left nobody in any doubt regarding Mac's future place in his plans.
I think there is no point at this stage in looking back but the fact is that the row still rumbles on, much to the detriment of Mayo football. Any assessment of O'Mahony's achievements will always be prefaced by the words, "If only.."
Of course, I genuinely wish him and the team he manages the very best of luck.  I hope he manages to prove me to be as clueless as I reckon he is. ;D
BTW, on a slightly different note, has anyone heard any mention of the championship panel being closed off by a given date this year?
If fact, I have not heard of any other county doing this either last year or this one.
I'd go further and say that the only manager that even mentioned closing off his panel was our fella when he announced his own squad and broke the news that Mac had decided not to come back. A decision he seemingly reversed the day after Mac's interview with the Indo when O'Mahony said Ciaran could play himself back into the plans if his club form warranted it and so could any other player in the county.
Riddle that out for me if you can.

This year, things seem better on the team development front and it looks like we will be more organised than we were last year or the previous one. That's a welcome development — if it proves true.
All I could ask for is that the team plays to its potential and that the manager does his best to bring this about.
Sadly, given what has gone before, I'm looking forward to the summer more in hope than in anticipation.
But I could be wrong: C'mon Mayo!!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi