Mayo League Review/Championship Preview 2009

Started by Barney, April 13, 2009, 09:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 14, 2009, 04:56:07 PM

Moysider I'd go along with most of that. However I do think that David Clarke hasn't been a complete success. Clean sheets have been magnificent but, like Van Der Sar at United during their run, that's as much because of defence as actual saves he's had to make. I reckon his high, hanging kick outs are problematic and putting McGarrity and Harte under pressure (and making it easy for the Tyrones of this world to break ball all day). But he's still our number one 'keeper, don't get me wrong. But kick outs a definite issue.

I would agree that the kick-outs are an issue. However I m not sure the blame lies solely with Clarky. More likely he s kicking out to instruction or has never been instructed to do otherwise. I doubt there is a better trainer about than David Clarke and he would soak up any instruction or coaching he gets. Its obvious he has worked hard on his game the last couple of years and has left an unfortunate and demoralising spell behind him. I think kick outs need to be worked on by the coaches, goalkeepers and the jumpers and others in the middle third. I noticed the last day Ronan stood with his hand in the air before our kick-outs, calling the ball on him. Clarke drove the ball towards him, and it hangs up and McGarrity seems to like them to as he s got great hang time himself. He expects to fetch them all but Hughes was able to jump through breaking the ball and Gardiner was usually nudged off the breaks. It seemed to me that this strategy was preplanned between Clarke and his captain and whether anybody else had an imput I would nt know. Not sure we have a goalkeeping coach either?

Of course we dont know what instructions are given, if any. We usually kick to the maximum distance possible and of course these will hang up. Ronan moved into position the last day at a distance that was at the outer limit of Clarke s range so the kicks were always going to hang. McGarrity s approach run to attack the kicks was only a few yards so Hughes was there with him every time.We could sacrifice distance for a flatter kick with space created for a jumper to run into like the Dubs used do with Ryan or dare I say it Donal Óg s specialities. These are the things that the coaching staff are paid to work out. The day when such matters are left up to the keeper to decide for himself are gone.

moysider

Quote from: kevmy on April 14, 2009, 11:05:26 AM

One think I don't get from most of the teams lining out here is why so many people are parachuting Heaney back into the team.

I was one of those who went with Heaney. Of course it s all acedemic and it s good craic. I think I did offer the caveat that I would pick him on the basis that his old form held up. We wont know until we know but management will have plenty of opportunity to make their minds up.

Other posters have suggested that while the return of the veterans is to be welcomed they dont see them as starters but rather as lads to bring in and settle the team late on - not to mention the fans. I m not so sure. I m firmly of the opinion that we handed Galway winning leads last 2 years by not having old hands and cool heads on the field at the start. Heaney was nt good last year v Galway but it was more to do with what he was trying to do( he should have focused on marking Joyce) than any deterioration in his physical abilities. My sympathies with Heaney down the years is that he has nt had an extended run in his best position - for me 5. He did a job at 3 for years when he was successive managements lazy option for full-back and he must be a frustrated man at this stage. The team was deprived a dynamic attacking force from deep as well. Remember his late frustrated run v Fermanagh in 2004. Definately a man we did nt utilise to his best ability in the past. That still can change.

I also believe that Aiden Higgins was our best defender last year. Keith catches the eye but Aiden is a backs' back and a goalkeepers back. I remember him as a skinny kid 10 years ago in an AI semi- final when we possibly had better options. Corner backs are often like the prop forwards from the old amateur days. Dont peak and not cute enough until in their thirties. No point being faster if you dont know when to run or what to chase.

The flame still burns

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on April 14, 2009, 11:21:46 PM

Moysider I'd go along with most of that. However I do think that David Clarke hasn't been a complete success. Clean sheets have been magnificent but, like Van Der Sar at United during their run, that's as much because of defence as actual saves he's had to make. I reckon his high, hanging kick outs are problematic and putting McGarrity and Harte under pressure (and making it easy for the Tyrones of this world to break ball all day). But he's still our number one 'keeper, don't get me wrong. But kick outs a definite issue.

I would agree that the kick-outs are an issue. However I m not sure the blame lies solely with Clarky. More likely he s kicking out to instruction or has never been instructed to do otherwise. I doubt there is a better trainer about than David Clarke and he would soak up any instruction or coaching he gets. Its obvious he has worked hard on his game the last couple of years and has left an unfortunate and demoralising spell behind him. I think kick outs need to be worked on by the coaches, goalkeepers and the jumpers and others in the middle third. I noticed the last day Ronan stood with his hand in the air before our kick-outs, calling the ball on him. Clarke drove the ball towards him, and it hangs up and McGarrity seems to like them to as he s got great hang time himself. He expects to fetch them all but Hughes was able to jump through breaking the ball and Gardiner was usually nudged off the breaks. It seemed to me that this strategy was preplanned between Clarke and his captain and whether anybody else had an imput I would nt know. Not sure we have a goalkeeping coach either?

Of course we dont know what instructions are given, if any. We usually kick to the maximum distance possible and of course these will hang up. Ronan moved into position the last day at a distance that was at the outer limit of Clarke s range so the kicks were always going to hang. McGarrity s approach run to attack the kicks was only a few yards so Hughes was there with him every time.We could sacrifice distance for a flatter kick with space created for a jumper to run into like the Dubs used do with Ryan or dare I say it Donal Óg s specialities. These are the things that the coaching staff are paid to work out. The day when such matters are left up to the keeper to decide for himself are gone.

Interesting analysis Moysider but I can't quite go along with it all. I agree - these type of things should be worked on in advance in a coherent way and I doubt they are. While I take your point about long kick outs hanging by their very nature, David Clarke's seem to do so more than most. I think that quite simply he gets way too much under the ball. I wonder is it because of the rugby boots he uses? It is possible to get a more even trajectory on even the long kicks. The wide range of kicking tees should allow a keeper to tailor to suit the need.

In the first half against Galway Mayo tried the very tactic you refer to - a la Cluxton kicking to Shane Ryan running into space. McGarrity or Harte would set off running from one wing to the other. Problem was the ball hung too much so that the midfielder found it hard to catch clean and Galway were able to break the ball. I wouldn't be too harsh because Cluxton's kick-outs are near perfect in terms of pace, trajectory and accuracy.
But I think that Kenneth O'Malley, for instance, can give a better trajectory kick out to his midfield. But, as I said initially, Clarke is still the number one for Mayo. The kick outs do need work and I hope management notice that, rather than just thinking everything is custy because of the amount of clean sheets - the type of flawed thinking that I wouldn't be surprised exists.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 15, 2009, 12:52:39 AM
Quote from: moysider on April 14, 2009, 11:21:46 PM

Interesting analysis Moysider but I can't quite go along with it all. I agree - these type of things should be worked on in advance in a coherent way and I doubt they are. While I take your point about long kick outs hanging by their very nature, David Clarke's seem to do so more than most. I think that quite simply he gets way too much under the ball. I wonder is it because of the rugby boots he uses? It is possible to get a more even trajectory on even the long kicks. The wide range of kicking tees should allow a keeper to tailor to suit the need.

In the first half against Galway Mayo tried the very tactic you refer to - a la Cluxton kicking to Shane Ryan running into space. McGarrity or Harte would set off running from one wing to the other. Problem was the ball hung too much so that the midfielder found it hard to catch clean and Galway were able to break the ball. I wouldn't be too harsh because Cluxton's kick-outs are near perfect in terms of pace, trajectory and accuracy. But I think that Kenneth O'Malley, for instance, can give a better trajectory kick out to his midfield. But, as I said initially, Clarke is still the number one for Mayo. The kick outs do need work and I hope management notice that, rather than just thinking everything is custy because of the amount of clean sheets - the type of flawed thinking that I wouldn't be surprised exists.

True, true, but any driven ball into the wind will hang up. There was a big wind there and it made everybody look bad. Some people said Mayo improved after Harte was sent off, and how Parsons changed things. The reality for me was that the biggest player was the wind and Galway could nt handle it either.  The alternative is try shorter stuff to wing backs and that puts them under pressure and team on back foot. Look what happened to Bradshaw when he was put under pressure deep in his own half.  Maybe the boots are an issue. In Cluxton s case he uses these stabbed kicks in calm or with a following wind too which is a cinch. And they are rehearsed as well. Not sure we re doing the prep.

But as default mode I prefer goalkeepers go for distance and take our chances in the trenches and not get too clever near our own goals.

Foreverhopeful

david clarke is a class goalie, come championship the wind will have died down and mcgarrity and whoever partners him will be plucking away.
Has become a real leader in the team

kevmy

Quote from: moysider on April 15, 2009, 12:37:39 AM
Quote from: kevmy on April 14, 2009, 11:05:26 AM

One think I don't get from most of the teams lining out here is why so many people are parachuting Heaney back into the team.

I was one of those who went with Heaney. Of course it s all acedemic and it s good craic. I think I did offer the caveat that I would pick him on the basis that his old form held up. We wont know until we know but management will have plenty of opportunity to make their minds up.

Other posters have suggested that while the return of the veterans is to be welcomed they dont see them as starters but rather as lads to bring in and settle the team late on - not to mention the fans. I m not so sure. I m firmly of the opinion that we handed Galway winning leads last 2 years by not having old hands and cool heads on the field at the start. Heaney was nt good last year v Galway but it was more to do with what he was trying to do( he should have focused on marking Joyce) than any deterioration in his physical abilities. My sympathies with Heaney down the years is that he has nt had an extended run in his best position - for me 5. He did a job at 3 for years when he was successive managements lazy option for full-back and he must be a frustrated man at this stage. The team was deprived a dynamic attacking force from deep as well. Remember his late frustrated run v Fermanagh in 2004. Definately a man we did nt utilise to his best ability in the past. That still can change.

I also believe that Aiden Higgins was our best defender last year. Keith catches the eye but Aiden is a backs' back and a goalkeepers back. I remember him as a skinny kid 10 years ago in an AI semi- final when we possibly had better options. Corner backs are often like the prop forwards from the old amateur days. Dont peak and not cute enough until in their thirties. No point being faster if you dont know when to run or what to chase.

I'll agree with you on Aiden Higgins last year. And if we are looking at a corner back he is definitely in the mix. But as regards Heaney his best spot is no.5 as you say but we could probably field a whole team of half backs so the competition is very tight there. At the moment I couldn't see him taking a spot there having missed a lot of matches

Foreverhopeful

Def positions are;

Clarke Cafferkey, K Higgins, P Gardiner, T Cunniffe, R McGarrity, T Mortimer, A Dillon, A O'Shea, T Parsons, C Mort

Probables:

P Harte, K McLoughlin, T Howley,

Possibles:

D heaney, J Nallen, A o'malley, M ronaldson, BJP, A Higgins, B Moran

Farrandeelin

What about Donal Vaughan, he is a strong physical defender imo and is well able to carry the ball out of defence if necessary. I'd be hoping to see him in action at some stage even as a sub during the Summer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Heard word that Aidan Higgins has been dropped off the panel. Madness.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 16, 2009, 11:24:07 PM
Heard word that Aidan Higgins has been dropped off the panel. Madness.

When will the panel that's due to be picked by the management be unveiled to us anyway?? This f**king waiting and rumours does my head in.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

rosnarun

seeing as every one is having a go.
some explanation may be required. Cunniffe and Caffekry had to go as the middle of the mayo defence has been like a sieve all winter . a central defender has to be judged on what his opponet does not how good they look on the ball. and heaney has too much class to ignore and NY would be a good game to ease howley and Keith back into affairs. I reckon iot always part of the plan in JOM being so generous with absentees!
it was a toss up between Mortimer and barry moran for corner forward but ive always thought 15 was trevors's best position, curbs his headless chicken routine and he plays very well with connor whos worth his weight in gold playing well.
Clarke
Liam o malley
David heaney
K Mcloughlin

P gardiner
Howley
K. Higgins

McGarrity
Parsons

Andy Moran
Alan dillon
Mark Ronalson

C.Mort
Aidan o se
t mort
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

I know im going to ruffle a few feathers but here it goes...

Firstly, are myself and Ros the only ones that think Dillon should be centre forward?
Against Tyrone Trevor was struggling again, some of his kick passing was fairly shocking. Dillon is needed at CF for his passing ability, play making and vision. Trev's work rate, energy and grafting is important so I would play him on the wing where he can run all day both at defences and tracking back, but there isnt much shape and balance with him at CF. Also the ball into O Shea and inside forwards might improve instead of the aimless kicking that went on against Tyrone.

Im leaving Liam O Malley in the full back line because I think that Gardiner left him isolated against Tyrone and that gave Penrose extra room to manouver and do damage. I would actually drop Gardiner, as I dont think is a a good defender. Our backs come under too much pressure when he plays out of position, and going forward he is not even that dangerous.

I would probably drop McGarity. I know he kicked 3 points the last day but up to that he was having a howler. He is not winning primary possession in the middle and I dont think he is up to it physically. He could make a good impact sub when legs are tiring.

I know I will get stick for it but im leaving Austy in the Full Forward line. All himself and Connor ever wanted was a target man to work off. Now they have one, and a fantastic prospect at that. Austy plays his best stuff getting the ball on the loop and popping it over the bar. He isnt the best ball winner, and neither is Connor but working off O Shea, they should do damage. Connor is someone that needs to step up to the mark this season, he has had a quiet league and was even dropped for a few games. Im not sure what is going on with him as he has lost form but he deserves a start for his experience.

Clarke
O Malley    Cafferkey       K Mcloughlin
Howley      Cunniffe        K Higgins (if fit)
         Harte       Parsons
Trev Mortimor    Alan dillon    Mark Ronalson
Conor Mortimor   Aidan o Se     A O Malley

RedandGreenSniper

I know the rationale for playing Dillon at centre-half forward but he was tried there before and didn't work too well. I reckon he does his best work at 12. Trevor will always give away a certain amount of ball, even if he is on the wing and not centre-half. And Dillon, if fully fit, will get on a power of ball regardless.

I can't see the logic behind dropping McGarrity. He was very good in the second half against Tyrone (generally, not just his three points) and he'd be my first midfielder on the team. I reckon we'll see a good summer from him.

Ros can't believe you are suggesting to drop Ger Cafferkey. He hasn't been completely flawless but its been an upward curve for him all through the league and the man has fitted in very well. Cunniffe too has looked good in the last few games when he's had to just concentrate on defending and not flying up the pitch. Heaney and Howley couldn't be expected to fill such central positions straight off anyway.

It will be interesting though to see how the full-forward line works out.