sunday game new presenter

Started by ildanach, April 08, 2009, 05:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on May 18, 2009, 09:41:21 AM
I was glad to see O'Rourke pulling up Spillane on his usual nonsense about players not being coached in the basic skills.
He's been given carte blanche to peddle this line for the last few years and make out that the players of his era were some sort of celestial beings from the planet football, in comparison to their modern day equivalent.
All-Ireland Gold has firmly put that little chestnut to bed I think.
I know it was a miserable day yesterday but the whole Sunday Game Live and Sunday Game experience put me in worse humour.
Dull, grey, uninspiring, tiresome stuff.
I don't need to hear what Babs and Micko think about x, y and z anymore.
RTE need to buck up their ideas big-time.

Jinxy, I definitely think Spillane goes OTT, but I do think that more emphasis is being put on the supplementary stuff like diet, psychology, fitness, etc etc. All very important of course, but i do think that we are losing a bit of emphasis on skills like kicking, shooting etc. I'm not sure if that's coaching, or individual players' approach to training. I'm not sure if many lads stay behind kicking after training any more, and I know they don't have as many 'non training' days where they could do a bit on their own.

Gnevin

11 minutes of game time. Well it's not like they could of shown a couple of Hurling matches or something ....
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on May 18, 2009, 10:02:02 AM
11 minutes of game times. Well it's not like they could of shown a couple of Hurling matches or something ....

That's true GNevin. I doubt if there's a law against showing Christy Ring highlights. It would have been nice for the Mayo bucks to see their great win over Westmeath on telly last night. After all Duignan and As Such were already in the studio.

NAG

Anyone see the BBC coverage of the Live game is it just me or Austin (wind up toy) O'Callaghan absolutely terrible. He made an otherwise pretty slick production look very ordinary by some of his dicky comments and non ability to direct the comments. Shows a lack of understanding of the game at the basic level, add this to tomas o'kane and his woeful interviewing technique. Can we not get someone who understands the game and can actually string two sentences together to interview people in the know?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Jinxy on May 18, 2009, 09:53:24 AM
In fairness, this was probably a one-off because of the 125th anniversary guff but it still wasn't good enough.
It showed complete disregard for Louth and Carlow.
That's how I saw it too. Only two games, showed one live, so fill in with the 125 pieces. Mind you Louth and Carlow couldn't have been that bad to warrant such miniscule coverage. Hopefully things will improve, but I'm not holding my breath.

ONeill

Maybe ease off a little lads on the sweeping statements. It was the introductory show. You'll find most seasonal sports shows do that. Twas just unlucky for Down/Fermanagh/Carlow/Louth fans that they were playing that day. Although to be fair, how mnay houses in Louth have a TV?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

The thing is this just continuing a trend of the last few years. Minimal actual action, maximum face time for the presenter and guests. It should be the other way around.

magpie seanie

No matter what enyone says the "coverage" of Louth v. Carlow was a complete disgrace. Barely 2 minutes of action. That's just unacceptable. I will give credit to Des Cahill as he is a massive improvement though that wasn't going to be hard.

If they wanted to cover the 125 thing they should have done a proper stand alone programme rather than using it as a filler. And at that what they did left a good bit to be desired, no struture, half assed. They could have started by bringing a few cameras to some GAA clubs last week but these are the same morons who let Pat Kenny host a Late, Late GAA special.

Until the GAA have the balls to take championship coverage off RTE completely we'll have to put up with this nonsense.

thebandit

It was obvious that the Sunday game last night was intended to fill the gap left by the late late debacle..... it was a load of ballix.

It was also noticeable that RTE didn't do their studio broadcast live from Brewster park yesterday, obvious penny pinching.

mortified

disgrace, how little coverage they had for the louth carlow game
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Shamrock Shore

Someone got to play Pixar with the graphics though!

Aaron Boone

Next weekend there's 6 games so more 'reports' will be evident.
Down still should have won in the highlights though.

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: thebandit on May 18, 2009, 03:18:02 PM

It was also noticeable that RTE didn't do their studio broadcast live from Brewster park yesterday, obvious penny pinching.

Yes they are no longer building any studios at the provincial grounds to cut costs. They will be live from the games in Croke Park but the studio for the rest. It makes me think how analysts can give their view on a game from watching it on a screen. Do you not think they should be watching the game live at the venue to be able to give a proper accurate account of what is going on? Watching on tv is a lot different from being at the game in my opinion.

RedandGreenSniper

Can't understand all the fury here lads. First programme of the year has to be a bit different, one to whet the appetite for the year ahead and, with all respect, Louth v Carlow and Down v Fermanagh ain't gonna do that. I found it very enjoyable to be honest, it was a decent effort and if it continues like that they will have come on leaps and bounds from previous years.
Sure people from Louth and Carlow might not be happy but it was hardly a champagne game to show now, was it? I'd be very interested in football around the country but there won't be too many games below that in terms of interest all year.
I thought the Late Late show was a disgrace but this was altogether a better showing from RTE. Fair play to them.
And well done to Des Cahill as well, a much more comfortable presenter than Pat.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Louth and Carlow deserve their moment in the sun - particularly as they won't be round later in the summer. They'll probably show more action from London v. Galway next week in a one-sided non event.