Paul McGrane Retires

Started by thebandit, April 08, 2009, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

A great servant for Armagh football and sound man too.  I'm still glad he's retired though!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

the derg

inspiring player seemed to improve with age one of those people who outside the white line seemed too nice and humble to be a top sportsman yet once jersey was pulled on and on field he metamorphised into a top player with a steely will to win. along with cavanagh and tohill 3 best midfielders in ulster the past 20 years.

StGallsGAA

A fantastic player whom I always enjoyed watching & his attitude was immense.  He represented all that was good about Armagh football in contrast to the way Kieran McKeever represents a lot of what is bad about it.

dexter

Don't think St Galls men should have much to say on the attitude of county players. :-[

mackers

Along with Geezer he was the heartbeat of our best team ever, as the derg said in the top 3 midfielders in Ulster in the last 20 years. I wouldn't read anything sinister into his retirement, a family man who presumably sees the rest of the year at home rather than the treatment room and perhaps the subs bench.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

stew

Quote from: under the bar on April 09, 2009, 08:45:26 AM
From the outside looking in it is not a good reflection of Peter McDonnell's management.  Retirements of 2 key players a month before the championship?  Add to that the refusal of others to rejoin the panel. 

The squad seems to have had issues for some time, I would much rather had big Grimley at the helm, I hope that McDonnell does well but the reports I am hearing suggest that there is a fair amount of the panel that does not agree with him tactically nor do they like him as a leader.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

johnpower

A top class midfielder who had one hell of a long career

illdecide

Quote from: dexter on April 09, 2009, 08:28:43 PM
Don't think St Galls men should have much to say on the attitude of county players. :-[

Or any player for that matter ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Onion Bag

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 09, 2009, 06:57:09 PM
A fantastic player whom I always enjoyed watching & his attitude was immense.  He represented all that was good about Armagh football in contrast to the way Kieran McKeever represents a lot of what is bad about it.

Explain StGalls!
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

andunabu

Paul was a great player and a wonderful servant to Armagh.  He is an absolute gentleman who deserves all these plaudits. 

thewobbler

One of the most effective and best all -round midfielders of a generation. A rare footballer in that he was happy to play as a second midfielder - decoying for kick-outs, doing the dirty work, cleaning our breaking-ball, acting as a defensive shield - even though he had the skill, athleticism and awareness to be the leading midfielder, as he showed on many an occasion.

Truthfully though, his retirement is at the right time and might do Armagh a favour. Experience is hard to beat, but a 70 minute engine is more vital. They've at least 4 solid, youthful options at midfield to cover his tracks.

Armaghtothebone

Off the field met him a couple of times...an absolute 100% gentleman.
On the field A Legend...Armagh's Greatest Servant?

TacadoirArdMhacha

A superb footballer. In the top 3 or 4 midfielders of the decade without doubt and one of the major driving forces of our success over the past decade. Its no exaggeration to say that without Paul McGrane we wouldn't have won half of what we did. An old fashioned fielder of the ball in midfield, for 3 or 4 years himself and Sean Cavanagh were the 2 best midfielders in the country yet they could hardly have been much different as footballers. One of the most powerful punchers of a ball you'll every find as well. Not a great man for the scores but the goal which won the Ulster final in 2006 is memorable. He'll be sadly missed though i do think he's made the right decision. Charlie Vernon and Kieran Toner have big shoes to fill.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Oraisteach

Agree with all the positive sentiments.

McGrane and McGeeney were titans.  Loved to watch them play.