Cadbury's All-Ireland Under 21 FC 2009

Started by The flame still burns, April 06, 2009, 10:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Maybe Tipp are a little bit better than people think no? Cork are a very good side- I saw them against Dublin earlier in the year when they beat us well. Cork hammered Kerry- not exactly easy to do. the reality is Down beat Tyrone so they must be pretty good because that was  a very good Tyrone team. Still think Down and Mayo are the 2 best sides in it.

GalwayBayBoy

Hard to judge the relative merits of the teams. Mayo beat Galway by a point but Galway were severely weakened by a glut of injuries. Then by all accounts Roscommon should have beaten them in the semis but a last gasp goal saved Mayo. They comprehensively defeated Sligo in the Connacht final though but they had the difficult work done over in the hard side of the draw.

Cork blew Kerry out of the water and then very nearly lost to Tipp only for another last gasp goal.

Haven't seen enough of Ulster or Leinster but like the other provinces it seems to be a close run thing there as well.

Just goes to show that the margins can be very tight with youngsters and you don't always get consistency of performance out of them.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on April 07, 2009, 07:23:45 PM
Maybe Tipp are a little bit better than people think no? Cork are a very good side- I saw them against Dublin earlier in the year when they beat us well. Cork hammered Kerry- not exactly easy to do. the reality is Down beat Tyrone so they must be pretty good because that was  a very good Tyrone team. Still think Down and Mayo are the 2 best sides in it.

This seems to be a fairly common assumption and although it may turn out to be correct, I have my doubts. While I suspect Tyrone will be extremely strong at this grade over the next two years based on their last couple of minor teams, I don't think this year's team was anything out of the ordinary - they didn't go very far at minor level. I know its risky to try to refer back to minor form, but it is probably one of the best indicators.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AFS on April 07, 2009, 08:03:11 PM

This seems to be a fairly common assumption and although it may turn out to be correct, I have my doubts. While I suspect Tyrone will be extremely strong at this grade over the next two years based on their last couple of minor teams, I don't think this year's team was anything out of the ordinary - they didn't go very far at minor level. I know its risky to try to refer back to minor form, but it is probably one of the best indicators.

I'm not so sure you can compare like that AFS. At minor level the majority of players on the fifteen will be in their last year at the grade. By the time it gets to under 21 though its spread a lot more evenly. This year's Mayo starting team (from Connacht final) has six players in their last year underage, that is minors from 2006 (Tom Parsons, Donal Vaughan, Frank Burke, Mikey Sweeney Brian Gallagher and, afaik, Cathal Carolan). Then there's four who have one more year after this (Kevin McLoughlin, Lee Keegan, Jason Doherty and Neil Douglas) and five in their first year U-21- that is last year's minors (Robert Hennelly, Eoghan O'Reilly, John Broderick, Kevin Keane and Aidan O'Shea). Now last year's minors were the only team to do well but there was always good players on the teams from the two years before, even if they did not succeed. By the time these lads get to U-21 there can be a nice mix from the three previous minor teams. If we look back to 2006 minors it was Roscommon and Kerry in the final, both have been beaten by Mayo and Cork respectively. Anyway enough rambling from me.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mountainboii

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 07, 2009, 09:22:47 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 07, 2009, 08:03:11 PM

I'm not so sure you can compare like that AFS. At minor level the majority of players on the fifteen will be in their last year at the grade. By the time it gets to under 21 though its spread a lot more evenly. This year's Mayo starting team (from Connacht final) has six players in their last year underage, that is minors from 2006 (Tom Parsons, Donal Vaughan, Frank Burke, Mikey Sweeney Brian Gallagher and, afaik, Cathal Carolan). Then there's four who have one more year after this (Kevin McLoughlin, Lee Keegan, Jason Doherty and Neil Douglas) and five in their first year U-21- that is last year's minors (Robert Hennelly, Eoghan O'Reilly, John Broderick, Kevin Keane and Aidan O'Shea). Now last year's minors were the only team to do well but there was always good players on the teams from the two years before, even if they did not succeed. By the time these lads get to U-21 there can be a nice mix from the three previous minor teams. If we look back to 2006 minors it was Roscommon and Kerry in the final, both have been beaten by Mayo and Cork respectively. Anyway enough rambling from me.

I know, and as I said its risky to refer back to minor form because of this but I just feel maybe that Tyrone, and Down by virtue of beating them, were talked up a little bit more than they merited because of the last couple of minor teams they've had. I think it'll be next year before most of those lads come to the fore.

mortified

any word on the time for mayo u21 semi?
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

an púca

Quote from: mortified on April 07, 2009, 10:41:53 PM
any word on the time for mayo u21 semi?

Cadburys All-Ireland Under-21 Football Semi-Finals / Cluichí Leath-cheannais Peile Fé-21 na hÉireann
On-air: 3:15pm (TG4)
Tús cluiche A 3:30pm BEO Corcaigh V Áth Cliath (Semple Stadium)
Tús cluiche B 5:00pm BEO Maigh Eo V TBC (Pearse Stadium, Longford)

muppet

Highly rated Mayo teams always flop. Unheralded Mayo teams often do very well. In conclusion this Mayo team is useless.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on April 08, 2009, 04:26:07 PM
Highly rated Mayo teams always flop. Unheralded Mayo teams often do very well. In conclusion this Mayo team is useless.  ;D

That's what I'm afraid of muppet. It could happen that we've a 'well-spoken about team' and we get a proper hiding on the day. Somehow I have a bit of faith in this team. But, we are Mayo and anything could happen!!! :o :-[ :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 08, 2009, 08:09:54 PM

That's what I'm afraid of muppet. It could happen that we've a 'well-spoken about team' and we get a proper hiding on the day. Somehow I have a bit of faith in this team. But, we are Mayo and anything could happen!!! :o :-[ :-\

From what Ive seen of us so far we dont look like a team that will get a chasing in a game, but that s not to say we will win it either. A few lads are getting most press but the teams progress so far more to do with hard work and graft than anything else. Our half forwards score very lightly but their industry has been very impressive. We need Freeman back as his absense has left us a bit light on the left wing in the sense that Brian Gallagher just does nt have the same impact on the game. As I think I ve said before my fear is we may lack a killer inside forward in a tight match. Our higher quality players are away from goal and in the backs and keeper.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on April 08, 2009, 10:56:41 PM

From what Ive seen of us so far we dont look like a team that will get a chasing in a game, but that s not to say we will win it either. A few lads are getting most press but the teams progress so far more to do with hard work and graft than anything else. Our half forwards score very lightly but their industry has been very impressive. We need Freeman back as his absense has left us a bit light on the left wing in the sense that Brian Gallagher just does nt have the same impact on the game. As I think I ve said before my fear is we may lack a killer inside forward in a tight match. Our higher quality players are away from goal and in the backs and keeper.

I would have agreed in advance of the competition regarding the full-forward Moysider but I've been very impressed with the unit, particularly against a very good Roscommon full-back line. Sweeney is the best known of them and has probably been the least effective. Douglas is a right handful and Doherty is really stepping up to the mark. He's always had potential but Holmes and Connelly do appear to have got him playing to that potential from what I hear. He has that bit of class that will make a big difference for us I think.
We do need Freeman back though. While Gallagher wasn't brilliant against Sligo, he was arguably better than Frank Burke. I was very impressed with Burke in the first two games but its hard to know who will start in one wing if Freeman is available for the other.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 08, 2009, 11:29:11 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 08, 2009, 10:56:41 PM

I would have agreed in advance of the competition regarding the full-forward Moysider but I've been very impressed with the unit, particularly against a very good Roscommon full-back line. Sweeney is the best known of them and has probably been the least effective. Douglas is a right handful and Doherty is really stepping up to the mark. He's always had potential but Holmes and Connelly do appear to have got him playing to that potential from what I hear. He has that bit of class that will make a big difference for us I think.
We do need Freeman back though. While Gallagher wasn't brilliant against Sligo, he was arguably better than Frank Burke. I was very impressed with Burke in the first two games but its hard to know who will start in one wing if Freeman is available for the other.

Burke for me. Gallagher was taken off v Ros after replacing Freeman but just did nt get into the game. Looks to have a bit of class but needs too much time and does nt appear to have enough cut. Burke grafts and I noticed v Ros he never had any negative body language, even when we looked bet. I d say he does twice the milage of Gallagher. He s lad I d always have in my team as I would Carolan and Freeman also.

As regards the FF line I m not so sure. Douglas I have nt seen a lot of and I like. Honest and genuine and if you have nt got that you ve little else. I loved the way we were set up in full forward line v Ross early in the game with Douglas playing on the point. Worked well but felt we should have maybe used 2 inside second half into wind ( which makes me doubt the managements belief in their midfielder subs). Of the 3 inside forwards Doherty for me looks like the most likely future senior player. Mikey Sweeney looks to have the same problem at U21 level as he does at senior. He does nt worry defenders, does nt break a tackle and turns back into the defender too much.

Foreverhopeful

it seems sweeney's speed has got him onto these teams primarily. Dont think he is a cut out for senior football. Not a classy forward. We should be grooming these if there is any not putting in the speed merchants. Thats always the way with mayo underage football. Its speed first, football second. There is a lot of classy forwards who may be slower and in some cases carrying a bit. They rarely get a chance but if they were selected for county panels their fitness would come on a sight and they'd look after themselves better. Instead it's the little nippy bucks who get picked and it sickens me. I'm not saying you don't need speed but its not the bee all and end all.
Mikey Sweeney will always look good in club games cos he can skin lads with his pace but at inter county level does not have the football brain that is required. Darren O' Sullivan is fastest player in Kerry. He is captain this year also. He is not guaranteed his start. They pick footballers first in kerry. Lads like tommy walsh who can kick off either foot. This is a 15st lad well over 6 feet.

mannix

well michael jordan could not get on the school basketball team and perservered, these fellas learn as they go.

moysider

Here is part of Sean Rice s column in today s Mayo News.

YOUNG GUNS ARE READY FOR TOUGH ASSIGNMENT

HAVING stormed through Connacht, Mayo's U-21 exemplars try on Saturday for an All-Ireland final place when they meet Down at Longford.
With one national title gained from their four provincial triumphs, a further crown would surely, if it has not already, set Pat Holmes, Noel Connelly and Micheál Collins apart as Mayo's most successful management team.
That distinction would of course rest much more lightly on the shoulders of this modest triumvirate than the honour a further All-Ireland would mean for their charges and their county.
Last year they lost out to Kerry by a brace of points in the semi-final at Nenagh despite a magnificent, fighting performance. On Saturday their task is no less daunting against a Down side desperately seeking a return to national prominence.
It is a tough assignment especially for the members of the side who have helped Mayo retain their Division 1 status. Having performed so well at senior level a lot will be expected from Kevin McLoughlin, Tom Parsons, and Aidan O'Shea. Hopefully, all three will continue to display the form they have shown throughout the championship.
A commendable aspect of their performances so far has been the absence of total dependence on any one member of the side. All of the fifteen, and the subs so timely introduced, have contributed equally to the team's success. Pick out any one and he is a star in his own right.
So, good luck to them on Saturday. We don't know what the opposition promises. But any team that emerges from the North will not be short of invention or conviction. One thing is certain though, they face a team who themselves hold no inhibitions. We're looking forward to a cracker.

Tut, tut, and there was me thinking the Ulster final had nt been played yet - not until tomorrow evening in fact. Ah well Seán knows best.

On a more serious note it looks like Cathal Freeman will miss Saturday s semi with injury. That s going to leave us shy on the left wing.