Organ Donation

Started by DrinkingHarp, April 06, 2009, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Signed up years ago, and the family knows that I want to donate.
Ive heard peope say they would never let theirs be donated, but id wonder would they take donated organs if they needed - id guess so most times.

Maguire01

There was talk not so long ago that people would have to 'opt out' rather than sign up, such was the shortage of donors. Haven't heard much about it recently.

Puckoon

Id have some trouble with the ethics of that maguire.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on April 08, 2009, 06:53:55 PM
Why?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

As Pints says, why? You have the option of opting out otherwise the decision is made that hospitals can harvest your organs. It's not like they're much use to you when you're dead!

I gave blood yesterday and there was a shocking figure that 94% people don't give blood. I'd say 99% of that 94% wouldn't say no to receiving it if their lives depended on it!

Dougal Maguire

I've a Casio CX200, ( the 32 key model) which I'm prepared to donate to anyone who needs one
Careful now

downgirl

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2009, 07:45:42 PM
As Pints says, why? You have the option of opting out otherwise the decision is made that hospitals can harvest your organs. It's not like they're much use to you when you're dead!

I gave blood yesterday and there was a shocking figure that 94% people don't give blood. I'd say 99% of that 94% wouldn't say no to receiving it if their lives depended on it!

There was a give blood week thing going on in college there around Christmas time, they wouldn't take my blood because I had been resident in the North between the years...(I dunno what they were, early 90s I think), but surely they screen all blood before they give it to someone else so what is the problem with my blood?!

stiffler

Quote from: downgirl on April 08, 2009, 10:51:35 PM

There was a give blood week thing going on in college there around Christmas time, they wouldn't take my blood because I had been resident in the North between the years...(I dunno what they were, early 90s I think), but surely they screen all blood before they give it to someone else so what is the problem with my blood?!

something to do with bse/cjd
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

downgirl

Would CJD not show up in blood screening?  What about people who live just over the border surely they are just as likely to come into contact with it?  I just don't see why when they are looking for people to donate blood and I was only too happy to give it and the wouldnt even take it and screen it!

Puckoon

They wont let me give blood in the US for the same reason.

Why do I have a problem with the ethics of taking human body parts without consent? Although we argued about this in a dirfferent vein about the body works thread pints, I just think that organ donation should be at the discretion of the deceased. Im not sure how a deceased person can implement discretion, however thats how I feel.

pintsofguinness

Why do I have a problem with the ethics of taking human body parts without consent? Although we argued about this in a dirfferent vein about the body works thread pints, I just think that organ donation should be at the discretion of the deceased. Im not sure how a deceased person can implement discretion, however thats how I feel.
It would be at the discretion of the deceased.  They could have opted out.

I also think that anyone who opts out should go to the bottom of a waiting list for transplants. 

Puckoon

How do you implement such a scheme? Its not like a switch to digital tv where from 4th february 2009 analoge tvs will cease to work.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Puckoon on April 08, 2009, 11:23:15 PM
How do you implement such a scheme? Its not like a switch to digital tv where from 4th february 2009 analoge tvs will cease to work.
What's to implement? You have an advertising campaign on radio, tv, mail drops etc. that from 1st Jan 2010 your organs will be fair game for donation in the event of a doctor saying you aren't going to make it. If you disagree with that then do the following...

Tony Baloney

I really don't understand what that is about to be honest with you. You'd think the north was like living in Africa with that sort of thinking. This from the people that killed nearly a hundred people with tainted blood not so long ago.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2009, 11:28:06 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 08, 2009, 11:23:15 PM
What's to implement? You have an advertising campaign on radio, tv, mail drops etc. that from 1st Jan 2010 your organs will be fair game for donation in the event of a doctor saying you aren't going to make it. If you disagree with that then do the following...
Exactly.