Local DVD Production Companies

Started by DownFanatic, April 06, 2009, 04:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Could any posters recommend a good local DVD production company? Our club are looking to produce a 75th Anniversary DVD this year and Im also wondering do any posters have any ideas for the best way to go about these type of things?

Donagh

Recently finished one myself and vastly underestimated the amount of work involved.

Have a clear outline of what you want before you go near anyone, identify the key people in the club to contribute and do the research to come up with all of your old photos, news stories, archive video footage. You should have one capable person to manage project and keep an eye on what the Production Company are adding onto your bill. Simple things like digitising your own media and doing your own research will save you a packet.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 04:53:04 PM
Recently finished one myself and vastly underestimated the amount of work involved.

Have a clear outline of what you want before you go near anyone, identify the key people in the club to contribute and do the research to come up with all of your old photos, news stories, archive video footage. You should have one capable person to manage project and keep an eye on what the Production Company are adding onto your bill. Simple things like digitising your own media and doing your own research will save you a packet.

Right, so say for example we got a load of old timers together some night and organised a chat about the club's history. Does the production company come in to film it or do we film it ourselves and send it off to them to be produced?

bingobus

Murphy Video services in Emyvale are very good and put together a great finished product.

Not sure how they put things together but are well worth talking to.

The whole thing should pay for itself and make money if done right.

Donagh

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 06, 2009, 05:09:17 PM
Right, so say for example we got a load of old timers together some night and organised a chat about the club's history. Does the production company come in to film it or do we film it ourselves and send it off to them to be produced?

You can do it either way. If you are doing it yourself you'll need to make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing and has broadcast quality cameras and sound recording equipment.

Either way you need to plan out what they are going to talk about and in what sequence otherwise you'll have to pay the production company more money to edit it all into something intelligible.

The recordings of the old timers should be done separately as it'll be a nightmare trying to keep track of a conversation and you'd need to allow at least an hour and a bit for each person - so probably best done over a few nights.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 05:19:03 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on April 06, 2009, 05:09:17 PM

You can do it either way. If you are doing it yourself you'll need to make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing and has broadcast quality cameras and sound recording equipment.

Either way you need to plan out what they are going to talk about and in what sequence otherwise you'll have to pay the production company more money to edit it all into something intelligible.

The recordings of the old timers should be done separately as it'll be a nightmare trying to keep track of a conversation and you'd need to allow at least an hour and a bit for each person - so probably best done over a few nights.

If you have time Donagh could you maybe PM me a brief overview of how you conducted your project?

Donagh

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 06, 2009, 05:22:14 PM
If you have time Donagh could you maybe PM me a brief overview of how you conducted your project?

Am a bit busy at the minute but will try to get back to you later tonight.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Donagh on April 06, 2009, 05:24:23 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on April 06, 2009, 05:22:14 PM

Am a bit busy at the minute but will try to get back to you later tonight.

Much appreciated

joebloggs

Did one of these myself and as someone already said I totally misunderestimated the amount of time the project would take. It was definitely worth it but it took a huge amount of time and effort. I would suggest chasing down as much material as soon as you can for it. I was getting hundreds of photographs just days before the deadline and it was hectic! Good luck with it but definitely plan it out well and get the bulk of the work done as early as you can and get as many people in the club informed as quick as you can because word spreads and you will be surprised by the amount of people that want to contribute to it.