Soccer Pitch ploughed up on GAA instructions

Started by highorlow, April 06, 2009, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: dublinfella on April 16, 2009, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 16, 2009, 12:24:47 PM
Umm, I beg to differ.  GAA people across the length and breadth of the country are behind Kerry CB.

I have not met one GAA man (in Dublin at least) who supports the ploughing after dark. I work with a guy from north Kerry who is a firm GAA man and is disgusted - he said it was 'pure bull mccabe stuff' and a disgrace and that thats what the local vibe is. The press quoted a few GAA people who were quitting the club in protest.  

This board seems to attract a high amount of purists who generally are more extreme than the rank and file.
Utter rubbish  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: behind the wire on April 16, 2009, 12:52:46 PM

As for soccer in general being associated with freeloading, well i dont see how anyone (not even you DF) can argue to the contrary. they seems to believe that the community has some sort of inherent obligation to provide facilities for soccer clubs. this goes on throughout the country.

I could name you several soccer clubs in Laois/Kilkenny who have developed their own all weather pitches and dressing rooms over the last 10 years.
My own village of Durrow in Laois have a club called the Durrow Lions and actually have far better facilities than the local Harps Gaa club and the Gaa club actually use the soccer clubs all weather training pitches for training now and again.
Deen Celtic soccer club in Castlecomer also have one of the best training facilities in Kilkenny,there is also Rathdowney soccer club in Laois,also Freebooters FC and Evergreen FC in Kilkenny,New Oak FC in Carlow all have developed some lovely pitches and training facilities for their clubs.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

dublinfella

Quote from: Canalman on April 16, 2009, 01:01:12 PM

Why oh why didn't they object to the Planning application when the notice went up on site?

They did....

They even applied for an injunction. Try reading the articles....

behind the wire

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 16, 2009, 01:13:17 PM

As for soccer in general being associated with freeloading, well i dont see how anyone (not even you DF) can argue to the contrary. they seems to believe that the community has some sort of inherent obligation to provide facilities for soccer clubs. this goes on throughout the country.

I could name you several soccer clubs in Laois/Kilkenny who have developed their own all weather pitches and dressing rooms over the last 10 years.
My own village of Durrow in Laois have a club called the Durrow Lions and actually have far better facilities than the local Harps Gaa club and the Gaa club actually use the soccer clubs all weather training pitches for training now and again.
Deen Celtic soccer club in Castlecomer also have one of the best training facilities in Kilkenny,there is also Rathdowney soccer club in Laois,also Freebooters FC and Evergreen FC in Kilkenny,New Oak FC in Carlow all have developed some lovely pitches and training facilities for their clubs.

i wouldnt doubt that for a second.i know full well that there are many soccer clubs that are well organised and have their own facilities. however im sure you cannot deny that such clubs would be well in the minority when talking about soccer clubs/teams in general.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

dublinfella

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 16, 2009, 12:54:37 PM

And what do these "GAA" men think of the soccer club putting a lock on the gates after they were refused leave to appeal???

that it was naughty but pails into comparison with ploughing a pitch under the cover of darkness.

magpie seanie

Quote from: dublinfella on April 16, 2009, 01:42:42 PM
Quote from: Canalman on April 16, 2009, 01:01:12 PM

Why oh why didn't they object to the Planning application when the notice went up on site?

They did....

They even applied for an injunction. Try reading the articles....

Once more for the slow learners: They didn't object when the planning went in. After the planning was granted they applied for leave to appeal to An Bord Pleanala which was refused. There is no evidence to support the theory espoused by DF that the soccer club are bringing this to the High Court (i.e. an injunction) despite me asking several times for him for proof.

dublinfella

If the soccer club are 'freeloading' for using a community pitch, what are the GAA to be described as in subsuming this pitch into their portfolio at zero cost to themselves?

Why people can't just admit this is a stroke is beyond me

dublinfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 16, 2009, 01:47:45 PM

Once more for the slow learners: They didn't object when the planning went in. After the planning was granted they applied for leave to appeal to An Bord Pleanala which was refused. There is no evidence to support the theory espoused by DF that the soccer club are bringing this to the High Court (i.e. an injunction) despite me asking several times for him for proof.

There were objections from a few parties.

There was an injunction sought by the soccer club when the objections were overruled.

They both failed, but to suggest that no-one kicked up a fuss when the GAA club applied for PP is downright wrong.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: behind the wire on April 16, 2009, 01:43:03 PM

i wouldnt doubt that for a second.i know full well that there are many soccer clubs that are well organised and have their own facilities. however im sure you cannot deny that such clubs would be well in the minority when talking about soccer clubs/teams in general.

I have played soccer all over Ireland in Oscar Traynor cup games and Leinster Junior Cup games so I have a bit of expecience with this so I'll meet you half way.
I don't agree the clubs that are run well are "well in the minority" but I will agree there are some as you describe and it is a problem.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

behind the wire

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 16, 2009, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: behind the wire on April 16, 2009, 01:43:03 PM

I have played soccer all over Ireland in Oscar Traynor cup games and Leinster Junior Cup games so I have a bit of expecience with this so I'll meet you half way.
I don't agree the clubs that are run well are "well in the minority" but I will agree there are some as you describe and it is a problem.

i would have a bit of experience myself up in the north and i can honestly say that the clubs with their own facilities are mainly the ones that play in the irish league divisions (and even some of those teams dont). in terms of junior soccer teams the first time i have ever played at a grond which was owned by the team we were playing against was last saturday. other than that it is always pitches provided by local councils etc with the clubs having absolutely no ambition to develop their own ground.

dublinfella

Quote from: behind the wire on April 16, 2009, 02:01:48 PM

i would have a bit of experience myself up in the north and i can honestly say that the clubs with their own facilities are mainly the ones that play in the irish league divisions (and even some of those teams dont). in terms of junior soccer teams the first time i have ever played at a grond which was owned by the team we were playing against was last saturday. other than that it is always pitches provided by local councils etc with the clubs having absolutely no ambition to develop their own ground.

But most GAA facilities were provieded either for free or at a discount by the state....

Its a bit unreasonable to expect soccer clubs to keep up with GAA facilities considerng they have grown in numbers in the middle of the Celtic Tiger boom and would have had to pay developers for pitches. Very few GAA clubs have had to do that.

behind the wire

Quote from: dublinfella on April 16, 2009, 02:16:18 PM
Quote from: behind the wire on April 16, 2009, 02:01:48 PM

But most GAA facilities were provieded either for free or at a discount by the state....

Its a bit unreasonable to expect soccer clubs to keep up with GAA facilities considerng they have grown in numbers in the middle of the Celtic Tiger boom and would have had to pay developers for pitches. Very few GAA clubs have had to do that.

Stop talking rubbish. discounted by the state. thats an insult to people who developed gaa grounds in the north when it was a danger to their own lives and you say they got help from the state. you are a typical soccer-head, always pointing the finger in other directions. i dont mind having a sensible debate with you but when you stick your nose into what was an exchange of opinions between myself and laoislad and come out with nonsense like that il have to resort to what others resorted to a long time ago. dublinfella you are an eejit.

Tyrone Dreamer

Why a soccer supporter with little/no interest in the gaa spends so much time slabbering about the gaa and making negative comments is beyond me.

Main Street

Provided free?
Free in the sense that members donated time work and money to build up the facilities :)

Where do get the idea from that "most GAA facilities were provided either for free or at a discount by the state"

dublinfella

Quote from: Main Street on April 16, 2009, 02:48:56 PM

Provided free?
Free in the sense that members donated time work and money to build up the facilities :)

Where do get the idea from that "most GAA facilities were provided either for free or at a discount by the state"

Like this field in Kerry, the GAA got a sizeable chunk of its lands in the 26 counties from the Land Commission either for free or for token amounts. No other sport got the same assistance.

What they did with that land facility wise is a different debate.