1 (3.7%)
Money!
6 (22.2%)
Force of habit ... not knowing what to do with their spare time
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: April 06, 2009, 04:37:39 PM

AZOffaly

There is another one or two options there.

1. They want to keep involved in the team aspect of the GAA
2. They want to 'give something back', as in help train young lads and club teams.

it's not always because of negative reasons you know.

Diet Coke

Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

screenexile

Yeah I'm still playing and am involved in coaching/managing teams and there's nothing negative to it at all. I always liked the idea of pasing on knowledge to youngsters and having attempted it in the classroom I've realised it's much more fun and fulfilling on the football pitch.

The only thing I was coerced into doing was taking the Ladies Football over any of the lads underage teams and mainly because at the time I came home most teams already had their management in place. This will be my last year with the Ladies and then I will move over to U14/16 or something like that but I intend to move up the scale whenever I'm finished playing although I fully intend to start from the bottom up and learn how to do it properly!

INDIANA

because i couldn't play anymore- next best thing. I still miss playing- body just doesn't run as fast as it used to >:(

brokencrossbar1

I am still playing but I coach the team I play on(Junior team) and help coach 3 under age teams.  I want to be able to give young lads(my own son one of them) some of the knowledge that I have been lucky enough to be exposed to.  I can only hope that it helps them improve as players and develop as individuals.

Canalman

I suspect, (as in my case) the reason is they can't get anyone else to do it and you are approached to do it. Still feel shitty dropping lads even though they are pretty sound about it by and large. At the lower levels of adult games (where I operate ....Jnr hurling) it is  a constant struggle truth be told.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Canalman on April 03, 2009, 05:37:14 PM
I suspect, (as in my case) the reason is they can't get anyone else to do it and you are approached to do it. Still feel shitty dropping lads even though they are pretty sound about it by and large. At the lower levels of adult games (where I operate ....Jnr hurling) it is  a constant struggle truth be told.

What I couldn't get over was the amount of people getting,ahem, "expenses" to train Junior teams.  It is one thing to charge at senior level but at Junior level.  I was even offered money to coach my own clubs underage teams.  I point blank refused as my view is that the money I was being offered would be better off getting a good set of training gear and shorts and socks.

Zulu

As coach of the U6 & 8 team last year I rang up each parent to confirm to them our challenge game was going ahead the following day (the weather was bad) and nearly everyone of them told me that the kids had their gear already packed and could do little else but talk about the game. It's life afirming to see the joy kids get from playing football and hurling and that is a big part of the reason I do it.

At adult level it is a bit different but I still get huge satisfaction out of it especially if the squad are committed and enthusiastic. Like the other lads I want to give something back but I also feel that players put so much in that they deserve the best possible support structures and I'd be very motivated in providing them with that, i'm not saying I necessarily do, but I spend a lot of time trying to ensure that I can. To be honest I'd be lost if I wasn't actively involved in the GAA and I'm always surprised that so many lads can walk away from it after their playing days.

SLIGONIAN

I concur with Zulu, its amazing feeling seeing the joy kids get from playing and although there alot effort put in on a managers part, its nothing compared to the rewards you get in terms of fulfillment. Its win/win.

Ooops im not a ex player yet ::), didnt read the thread headline properly, apologies.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"