Official Handball thread

Started by Handball Ace, January 16, 2007, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handball Ace

Rolloutking

You've got a lot of info wrong

There will only be qualifiers in the Open. the Mens C has 36 entries, and there could be a few qualifiers on the tues or wed night before the vent.

There will be no days off school don't worry!

My info couldn't be better if you know what I mean...

If you don't know who I am, we played you in the inter club this year!

The Bottom Brick

Rumour has it theres a big screen going up between courts one and two, and there's a professional programme in production as well...

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

rolloutking

Wel paul im just goin by what Kit told me when i rang him the other nite to get my game changed. I was on d fone for about a half an hour to him an he explained d situation. Thats why i wasnt in Kcourt for my game on Saturday afternoon. Maybe things have changed from thursday nite tho

Handball Ace

Paddy

There will be qualifiers in the Open, on next Saturday and Sunday in Kingscourt. There will probably be a couple of qualifiers for the C on one of the midweek nights before the tournament.

This is going to be massive! Huge entry,and lots of cool plans eg barbeque on the Sat evening for all players, big screen, programmes etc

rolloutking

Im sure i few of the open players will be angry if they dont qualify and emmett, allan, etc are put straight into the last 16.  Id say that there's gonna be a few doughnuts dished out with the mens A and B being combined. Say you have a player who has jsut qualified for B' and is drawn against an A player who has come close to getting into open for a while but just missed out. Like up until the worlds Joe Mc Cann was eligible to play Mens A but since he won the A's in edmonton he's up into open. I know B players who only play for a couple of hours on a saturday and then hit the pub. If people like this where drawn together the game wouldnt last very long. Ah well as long as i get a good run il be happy.

Handball Ace

The Mens A and B have ben split into two separate competitions now

Handball Ace

The following are the results from this weekend

M Donelly/My Home Dubai/Envirogeen Ulster Open – Men's Open Qualifier

(1) Michael  Gregan (Wicklow) dft Carl Browne (Meath) 21-11, 21-7
(2) Robbie McCarthy (Westemath) dft Seamus O'Tuama (Antrim) 21-1, 21-13

(3) Joe McCann (Mayo) dft Charly Shanks (Armagh) 21-16, 20-21, 11-9

(4) Brian Carroll (Meath) dft James Doyle (Armagh) 21-4, 21-2

Semi-finals
McCarthy dft Gregan 21-10, 21-18
Carroll dft McCann 21-16, 21-15

Sunday 28th January, Kingscourt – Play-offs

Final

Robbie McCarthy dft Brian Carroll 21-16, 21-8
3rd and 4th Place ; Joe McCann W/O Michael Gregan scr.

Westmeath's Robbie McCarthy defeatedBrian Carroll in straight games in the final of the M Donnelly/My Home Dubai/Envirogreen Ulster Open qualifiers.

The Mullingar player was full value for his 21-16, 21-8 win, serving brillinatly and overpowering his Meath opponent consistently throughout the final, which was played off to decide which of the qualifiers would be ranked higher in the event itself on 10-11 February.

McCarthy had earlier defeated St Pauls clubman Seamus O Tuama and number one seed Michael Gregan of Wicklow to book his place in the decider, while Kells star Carroll - who is still eligible for the intermediate grade this season - comfortably handled James Doyle of Armagh and Mayo's Joe McCann.

McCann had come through the match of the tournament in the first round against Lurgan senior player Charly Shanks. The Armagh man was many people's favourite to qualify, but he fell prey to the hot shooting Ballaghadreen player in a thrilling three game contest.

The draws for the groundbreaking Ulster Open, which has attracted a record entry of almost 200 players in all grades, will be announced in the next week, while the official launch will take place in Croke Park on Tuesday, 6th February.

Handball Ace

The M Donnelly/My Home Dubai/Envirogreen Ulster Open was officially launched in Croke Park yesterday by Graham Geraghty, Cha Fitzpatrick, Conor Mortimer and paul Brady.

There were photos of the launch in the Indo, Mail, Star and Metro today. Anyone see any others?

Lynchbhoy et al, this is a step in the right direction for the game!!!

Lynchbhoy, do you think you'll make it to see a Cavan man take on the worlds top 10 this weekend?

Any other Cavan GAA supporters, or GAA people from other counties coming along to the biggest and most professional handball event in the history of the sport?

More details on http://cavan.handball.gaa.ie