WiFi

Started by ONeill, April 01, 2009, 12:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Is it melting us?

I've been reading articles about schools ripping the thing out across Europe. Has anyone done any research into this?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thebigfella

Seen a few articles on this, mainly irrational arguments based on no facts, by completely misinformed parents either with to much time on their hands or looking for someone else to blame (rather than themselves) that their little darling is a complete c**t/thick/suffering from some made up condition like ADD (usual accompanied  by a claim for DLA).

I don't see the point if your not going to ban kids/teachers/staff from having mobile phones.  ::)

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

There would need to be a conclusive study into the radiation levels (never mind the effects).

But whats the need for wifi or internet in classrooms anyway right now?

Text books are designed to meet the needs of the curriculum, and in fairness most kids are adept at spending hours on computers of all sorts anyways, its not as if its really teaching them anything. Maybe it should be taken out just to preserve the art of actually learning something, not copying and pasting from sources (however good or bad they may be) scattered all over the web?

Gnevin

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2009, 12:10:33 PM
Is it melting us?

I've been reading articles about schools ripping the thing out across Europe. Has anyone done any research into this?
No more dangerous than radio.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thebigfella

"A person sitting in a wi-fi hotspot for a year would be exposed to only the same amount of radiation(non-ionising) from a 20-minute mobile phone call" - World Heath Organization

People hear radiation and instantly jump to conclusions, ionising radiation such as x-rays etc... is the stuff we need to worry about. By the above logic tv remotes and visable light should be banned in schools too  ::)

Main Street

Quote from: thebigfella on April 10, 2009, 02:13:00 AM

"A person sitting in a wi-fi hotspot for a year would be exposed to only the same amount of radiation(non-ionising) from a 20-minute mobile phone call" - World Heath Organization

People hear radiation and instantly jump to conclusions, ionising radiation such as x-rays etc... is the stuff we need to worry about. By the above logic tv remotes and visable light should be banned in schools too  ::)

Questionable understanding of logic there  :)  A remote control emits a wave when activated, it stops emitting when not in use, compared to for example, a wireless home phone base which emits a strong signal even when in standby.

When I did tests around my home with a super duper devise able to measure the strength of varying magnetic fields, the wireless home phone came out way on top.
(Second place, came in the short radius when turning on the old style tvs.)

The cordless base was emitting radiation from 4v to 6 v per metre in the room it was located, ( that about twice as much as you would get in 100m of mobile masks)
Elsewhere in the house the radiation level from the cordless phone went down to about 2v to 3v per metre.
Out at the end of the driveway 80 m away, the level dropped down below the safe limit of .05v per metre.
At all times the handset was just on standby.
I did not have ADSL then, so could not measure wi fi emissions.

I looked into a lot of research at that time and made a host of changes to electricity wiring and wired up anything wireless. The difference would be the equivalent leaving  a home in a busy street to one out in the country.
Much of the research is not definitive, there are a lot of unknowns. For eg, if a research does not take into consideration cumulative low doses on people over a long period of time then it lacks a crucial credibility.

Gnevin

Quote from: Main Street on April 10, 2009, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on April 10, 2009, 02:13:00 AM

Questionable understanding of logic there  :)  A remote control emits a wave when activated, it stops emitting when not in use, compared to for example, a wireless home phone base which emits a strong signal even when in standby.

When I did tests around my home with a super duper devise able to measure the strength of varying magnetic fields, the wireless home phone came out way on top.
(Second place, came in the short radius when turning on the old style tvs.)

The cordless base was emitting radiation from 4v to 6 v per metre in the room it was located, ( that about twice as much as you would get in 100m of mobile masks)
Elsewhere in the house the radiation level from the cordless phone went down to about 2v to 3v per metre.
Out at the end of the driveway 80 m away, the level dropped down below the safe limit of .05v per metre.
At all times the handset was just on standby.
I did not have ADSL then, so could not measure wi fi emissions.

I looked into a lot of research at that time and made a host of changes to electricity wiring and wired up anything wireless. The difference would be the equivalent leaving  a home in a busy street to one out in the country.
Much of the research is not definitive, there are a lot of unknowns. For eg, if a research does not take into consideration cumulative low doses on people over a long period of time then it lacks a crucial credibility.

You totally missed the point , it was about non-ionising v ionising radioation. You do understand that light is a form of radiation? I say you wasted your time and money.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.