The worst ever attempt at April Fool?

Started by longrunsthefox, April 01, 2009, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Is this the worst ever April Fool ?
From the BBC website-at last GAA gets some coverage...  :-\

...GAA followers in Tyrone have been stunned by the announcement that All Ireland Gaelic football winning manager Mickey Harte has been appointed to Sir Alex Ferguson's coaching staff at Old Trafford.

The inspirational Tyrone boss will take up the new post of Performance Director at Manchester United with immediate effect.

It is understood that Ferguson has been tracking Harte's progress for a number of years, the pair having first met at the Belfast Telegraph's Sports Awards in Belfast, where, according to Old Trafford insiders, 'they instantly hit it off.'

Speaking at today's press conference Sir Alex said: 'We tried to get Mickey on board last summer but Tyrone beat Dublin, so that meant he had those commitments. We also tried to get him in 2004 but circumstances meant he couldn't leave.'

'It's fabulous news for Manchester United and I am delighted he is joining us. Since Carlos [Quiroz, the current Portugal manager] left, we have been missing someone to get the optimum performance from the players. Mickey has proved he can do it at the highest level with players of the highest skill.'

Mickey Harte said that although the decision to leave his beloved Tyrone team was very difficult, he 'technically supported Manchester United since he was a boy', growing up with tales of the Busby Babes and following Charlton, Best and Law:

"This is a good place to be if you want to be the best you can be in sport. Gaelic Football was my first love but in life sometimes an opportunity presents itself. I have been involved with Tyrone in a number of roles for nineteen years. I always tell the players to seize every opportunity to be the best, to be ambitious for the higher gifts. So when Alex called, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. And so, this is a new journey, a new chapter and we'll see where it takes us."

Harte is known to be a fan of Sir Alex Ferguson, publicly praising his methods in the past. Both men share a fierce will to win and a commitment to attacking football. One thing it is unlikely Harte will share with Sir Alex is his customary post-match bottle of fine wine. Harte is a confirmed tee-totaller and member of the Pioneer Total Abstinence Association.

However, his experience of dealing with the likes of Ricey, Owen Mulligan and Sean Cavanagh will be an asset in getting the best out of Rio Ferdinand, Anderson, Ronaldo and Company.

In the past a number of GAA coaches have been linked with Premiership Clubs – Armagh defender and sports psychologist Enda McNulty was linked with Aston Villa and  former Armagh and Derry trainer, John McCloskey was close to joining Chelsea. Although a number of former GAA players have had successful careers including Martin O'Neill and Kevin Moran, this is the first time a manager has made the jump.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

Minder

Aye there is something about this on the main Gaa thread, even better i think Rois believed it  ???
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

A Quinn Martin Production

Apparently Man Utd tried to get Micko first but the they were only offering £60,000 a week ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

fitzroyalty

How about this, I text a lad from our club this morning who is currently across the water that due to a mass fall out at a famed S.Derry club, two of their county players are transferring to our club & will be unveiled at training tonite! Gullable c*nt!  :P

D4S

Daily Mirror claims Barack Obama was at Giants causeway yesterday for a secret visit before flying to London.  And he was in a pub singing taditional irish songs too ::)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: longrunsthefox on April 01, 2009, 09:58:18 AM
Is this the worst ever April Fool ?
From the BBC website-at last GAA gets some coverage...  :-\

No it doesn't!

You wouldn't have been fooled there would you?  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...