Derry V Donegal

Started by Oakleafer93, March 31, 2009, 02:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Sideline, I have admitted I'm no experet when it comes to tactics and that sort of thing... my view is that of a layman. BUT despoite all your talk of systems and players knowing their roles in the system NOBODY will tell what the system is? Eg. "What was james Kielts and Paul Youngs Role? How were they kept on so long and Paul Bradley taken off. Now bradley was depending on the ball being got into him but they were all played to Paddy Braley in the other corner!

screenexile

Here lads don't be pickin on TFAL he doesn't know any better.

If you want to suss out the system just keep an eye on the WHF's during the game!

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2009, 12:10:50 PM
Here lads don't be pickin on TFAL he doesn't know any better.

If you want to suss out the system just keep an eye on the WHF's during the game!

Sorry for asking! Sorry for not being intellectually tuned in to the superior knowledge of Loup and Screen..... they have some championships between them! BTW Screen, you showed how great a Derry supporter you are when you huffed and didn't come to bellaghy to see the GREAT kerry!

SidelineKick

TFAL calm down no one is challenging your intelligence, I am not master of tactics myself, but you overdo it with your simplistic outlook.  Can you take nothing positive from the Tyrone game, the Kerry game or the Galway game? Winning isn't the be all and end all, least of all in the league when we're already safe.  Nobody in Derry would turn their nose up at a NL final, what I'm saying is it wont do us any good.  I'll take it if it happens but expect Cass to be as experimental as ever.  This time last year you could have named the championship team with the usual suspects being on regardless of how they played throughout the year.  Cass has brought in cover for anyone either injured or playing bad, he has brought in playing time for the less experienced so they can handle inter county football should they be called upon.

For too many years Derry have gone with the "safe" team so that if they were beat there could be no justified backlash.  Cass is very much his own man and men will play when they deserve to regardless of their name or history with the county.  We have learnt for one thing that it is actually possible to cope without Doc in the middle of the field.  I would expect him to start come championship but Cass can be sure he has another man that can come in if Doc got injured after 5 mins!  We have much more depth to the panel this year, which is Tyrone's biggest strength.  Cassidy is constantly learning from Harte along with adding his own personal touch.

TFAL regardless of whether you can see a system or not you cannot simply judge a team on the final score of a league game.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Drumanee 1

i know what you mean sideline as regards coping without doc,yes we will be more prepared this year if we lose him but be under no illusion if we lose him against the better teams we will struggle

SidelineKick

Without a doubt Drum, his influence is exceptional, but I am slightly more content this year that if something did happen (fingers crossed it won't) then we could make a shape at contesting MF not like last year a la Fermanagh! There's no doubt the big man will be starting but Cass is being pro active as opposed to being reactive.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Oakleafer1993

lads - this is my observation - Eoin Bradley plays well for Derry when is Paddy isn't playing - when Paddy is playing he overplays the ball and kicks it to his brother - consequently nobody else gets a look in. Now I am not saying we should drop Paddy or Eoin. But we play better football when only one is playing. Twice I seen Eoin refusing to pass to Kielt on saturday night - and if he had it would have made a difference in the game.

Derry had Galway well beat in the second half - totally cleaned them out at midfield - problem was the wind and the poor shooting.
Again Kerry - we had Nobody to replace eoin  Bradley after he was sent off. eoin was winiing the ball hands down against Kerry and I think we would have fared better if he had not been sent off.
Expect Kerry to put Galway to the sword and to look for revenge against us in the final. Subject to us beating Donegal.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 31, 2009, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on March 31, 2009, 09:33:01 AM
Oakleafer Murphy started against Dublin in '07 and was playing superbly only to be replaced by Skinner at half time.  I think Murphy is looking more and more impressive with each game he plays and would certainly have him at CHF.

I do agree however that Bumble should get another chance now against Donegal, he'd be disappointed if he didn't.  We don't need to win this by 5 or 6, if Kerry could manage a 2-3 point win over Galway we would only need the same.  There's a slim chance we could make the final but I doubt if there are too many bothered to be honest.  Cant see it doing us much good.  Like the Galway and Tyrone games, I'd be more interested in a good performance.

What county do you think we are from sideline? to be talking about turning up our noses at a national league title is laughable from a county like ours! And just to remind us, we got beat by kerry, we got beat by Tyrone, we drew with galway.... where are the improvements from this time last year? As i told you before Sideline........ stick to reality!

I don't think its a case of turninour noses up at a National leage final, more to do with keeping out eyes on the prize (ulster) and not getting distracted, it did us no good last year.

Oakleafer93

So, will we send the neighbours to division 2?

Was reading in the Gaelic Life this week that Tyrone can get relegated if The get beat in Ballina, id Derry are beat by Donegal and Westmeath are beat by 12 or more points... The above is all very possible and stranger things have happened...

Oakleafer1993

Lynch back for Derry
Derry's Mark Lynch
08 April 2009

Mark Lynch has recovered from a shoulder injury and could make his first appearance of the 2009 NFL against Donegal this weekend.

The young Oak Leaf attacker has been out of action since undergoing a shoulder operation in November and proved his match fitness by lining out for his club Banagher in a league fixture last weekend.

He is now available for selection for the Easter Sunday derby against relegation-threatened Donegal.

Holders Derry, who are still in with a slender chance of reaching the final, can also call on Enda Lynn, who missed the last two rounds. But Niall McCusker and Fergal Doherty remain sidelined.

Manager Damien Cassidy is thrilled by Lynch's return: "Mark came through the [club] match without any problem and it's very good news that he's available to us again.

"As well as the quality which Mark brings to the side, his return increases the competition for places in the starting 15.

"Mark has been doing light training with us since we started back in January, and he began doing full contact work about three weeks ago.

"So we have no worries about his recovery from his shoulder problem [or] his level of fitness."

Katchit

Did Lynch play against Castledawson last weekend ?

Oakleafer93